Page 4 of 5 [ 78 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

08 Mar 2016, 8:53 am

I don't think cybergrind is very popular, or speedcore for that matter either. This song falls into both categories and it is absolutely nuts.

Trigger warning for some rather graphic soundbites taken from a serial killer documentary. Also, don't search up the official video for this if you're prone to seizures, as it contains a lot of rapid flashing.

TheAP
Veteran
Veteran

08 Mar 2016, 10:21 am

I think folk music is unpopular these days.

beakybird
Veteran
Veteran

08 Mar 2016, 6:49 pm

mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:
I like smooth jazz, but I've never gotten much into it. Still, I find it interesting that some metal bands have dabbled in the genre.

Can't have a jazz-metal conversation without:

thewrll
Veteran
Veteran

08 Mar 2016, 6:50 pm

TheAP wrote:

It depends on what you mean by folk music. One huge act right now plays folk music. That band is Of Monsters And Men.

beakybird
Veteran
Veteran

08 Mar 2016, 6:54 pm

mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:
I don't think cybergrind is very popular, or speedcore for that matter either. This song falls into both categories and it is absolutely nuts.

Trigger warning for some rather graphic soundbites taken from a serial killer documentary. Also, don't search up the official video for this if you're prone to seizures, as it contains a lot of rapid flashing.

Not my thing, too fast and straightforward, but I don't think most people realize how difficult that vocal style is to pull off. The tone sucks for me, but to keep up with clearly discernible syllables is quite a challenge...

beakybird
Veteran
Veteran

08 Mar 2016, 6:56 pm

Ectryon wrote:
Evil_Chuck wrote:
Death metal is a pretty unpopular genre among most people, but I love it. Black metal and thrash are cool too. To the new and uninitiated, bands like Cannibal Corpse and old Mayhem will sound like pure chaotic noise. But this music has an underlying order and requires a lot of talent to excel in. I think aspies are in a unique position to appreciate it because of our talent for finding patterns and noticing details that other people miss.

meshuggah. If patterns and logic are your thing look at some analyses of their polyrhythmic work

Yes. It's not often a band truly invents a genre of music completely on their own. Meshuggah, while boring to me at times, is THE most influential metal band of the last 30 years. Other than Slayer and Black Sabbath, probably of all time. You can't listen to most metal today without hearing a band that's ripped a fistful of pages out of Meshuggah's book. and djent is an extremely popular subgenre in metal right now.

beakybird
Veteran
Veteran

08 Mar 2016, 6:59 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:
Psychedelic rock, it is absolutely amazing but do not think it is very 'popular....same with metal, though there is stuff that is not metal that the media will describe as metal. If they have an award for the catagory of 'best current metal band' for music awards chances are the award would not actually go to a metal band.......probably some metalcore, or some kind of core or screamo sort of stuff.

I dunno, your boys Ghost just won the Grammy for Best Metal.

Until those sorts of things actually recognize that not everything with electric guitars and drums are the same style of music, there will always be bands that don't belong together competing for the same award.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

08 Mar 2016, 7:54 pm

Asian throat singing (Mongolian, Tuvan, Tibetian).

Gangsta rap

Alvin, and the Chipmunks.

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2016, 12:18 pm

beakybird wrote:
mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:

Not my thing, too fast and straightforward, but I don't think most people realize how difficult that vocal style is to pull off. The tone sucks for me, but to keep up with clearly discernible syllables is quite a challenge...

It was recorded by some Aussies in a home studio in the late 90s. :P Fun fact, the drum programming was all done on an Atari ST computer, supposedly one of the tightest MIDI sequencers ever. This is also where Atari Teenage Riot got their namesake from.

RushKing
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2016, 7:30 pm

Neofolk

Dungeon Synth

coleslaw
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

20 Jul 2016, 8:51 am

Indonesia is a beautiful country with beautiful music. I prefer the gamelan of Bali over Java.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2016, 5:26 pm

Stannis wrote:
I think the hatred of country that most liberal people claim to have has more to do with cosmetic considerations than the music itself. That so many people seem to treat music like a fashion statement disappoints me.

Of course it's quite possible some of us hate it because of the lyrical content...tractors, jesus, beer and wiskey, she left me are boring and am largely unable to relate to them. The vocal style which is quite whiney, almost up their with 90's pop music vocals. Also the twangy over-produced music is not something I find pleasant to listen to. Of course I am essentially talking about modern popular country except for maybe a select artist here and there...Why can't country sound like Johhny Cash than I might like it?

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2016, 12:30 pm

I used to hear country music everywhere when I was younger, and I think that contributed to my dislike of it. That said, I like Johnny Cash, and I think the country influences on Metallica's "Load" album were a neat touch. It's a weird thing, but I can actually appreciate influences of genres I don't normally like in other forms of music.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2016, 12:49 pm

thewrll wrote:
TheAP wrote:

It depends on what you mean by folk music. One huge act right now plays folk music. That band is Of Monsters And Men.

I prefer this kind, Of Monsters and Men certainly seems like something my sister would be into though.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2016, 1:08 pm

WAautisticguy wrote:
Unlike me, who has listened to this format since being a preschooler around 2001-2002, most people dislike smooth jazz music. They think the music is "fake" jazz and "elevator music." Well, I suppose the only smooth jazz song they've ever listened to is Kenny G's annoying "Songbird," which reached the top 5 on the Hot 100 in 1986-1987. Most of these people probably wouldn't know Richard Elliot, Dave Koz, Jeff Lorber, Warren Hill, David Sanborn, Kim Waters, Chuck Loeb, David Benoit and Norman Brown that well. I feel that SJ is really relaxing to listen to and unlike lullabies, and classical music, and Mozart pieces, which most little kids listened to when taking a nap or going to bed at night, smooth jazz got me asleep faster. And plus, lots of these songs are really groovy! Some smooth jazz can also be considered "acid jazz" as well, and many smooth jazz stations (which 99% flipped formats due to low ratings, and because only "65+" listened to the format) also played smooth R&B stuff like Sade, Anita Baker, Seal etc. which I also like. We had a station in Seattle that had the format (98.9) and in elementary school I was a regular listener. I believe the station sent my dad a CD sampler as well years ago...had Richard Elliot, Dave Koz, Jonathan Butler etc on it. 98.9 flipped late in 2010 to a "modern music" format and it sucks...same 100 songs as three or four other stations in town.

I like the guy who invented "smooth jazz" in the Seventies/Eighties whom Kenny G imitated:saxaphonist Grover Washington Jr..

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2016, 1:39 pm

RushKing wrote:
Dungeon Synth

I like it. :D I wonder if Diablo's soundtrack would count as an example of dungeon synth music.

Apologies for the gory video thumbnail.