Are you more of a forgiving or vengeful person?

Page 1 of 3 [ 42 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

donnie_darko
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2014, 12:20 am

I've always been forgiving, perhaps to a fault. I got mugged the other day and only felt mild ill will towards the people doing it. The only thing that really makes me angry is when people get mad at me.

Meistersinger
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2014, 1:12 am

donnie_darko wrote:
I've always been forgiving, perhaps to a fault. I got mugged the other day and only felt mild ill will towards the people doing it. The only thing that really makes me angry is when people get mad at me.

To quote Scripture:

Mark 11:25
And when you stand praying, if you hold anything against anyone, forgive him, so that your Father in heaven may forgive you your sins. "

Matthew 6:14-15
For if you forgive men when they sin against you, your heavenly Father will also forgive you. But if you do not forgive men their sins, your Father will not forgive your sins.

To quote Martin Luther:

You are not only responsible for what you say, but also for what you do not say.

People must have righteous principals in the first, and then they will not fail to perform virtuous actions.

Forgiveness is God' Command.

To quote Martin Luther King, Jr:

We must develop and maintain the capacity to forgive. He who is devoid of the power to forgive is devoid of the power to love. There is some good in the worst of us and some evil in the best of us. When we discover this, we are less prone to hate our enemies.

I have decided to stick with love. Hate is too great a burden to bear.

Narrator
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2014, 1:47 am

I try to remember to 'walk a mile in the other person's shoes,' though, in the moment, I'm not always successful. By nature, I'm generally optimistic, which means I don't hold a grudge. My own failings haunt me enough, reminding me to forgive others for theirs. Not many things are unforgivable.

The other side that I often take is a pragmatic, dispassionate approach: "John did this, for his own reasons. It has caused no lasting injury. It won't matter tomorrow, so why should it matter today. Move on, nothing to see here." Even with this approach, part of my brain may register John's propensity for such actions, but only as a practical obstacle, not an emotional one.

And a blank look rarely means a blank mind.

Skilpadde
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2014, 2:04 am

It depends on what it?s about, but I am not very forgiving in general. There are definitely things I'll never forgive or move past.
I can definitely be vengeful in my mind, but I don't act on it. But like most people I feel a lot of schadenfreude whenever something goes awry for people I dislike.
I hold grudges. I easily dismiss people, they?re usually just not worth the bother, and the moment they prove it, goodbye. I am far better off on my own than with their kind.

love you and miss you, dear boy

Stop the wolf kills! https://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeact ... 3091429765

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2014, 2:11 am

I always forgive; best to be positive while perceptions settle in others' lives.

-Gem Tos :mrgreen:

little_blue_jay
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

19 Aug 2014, 2:14 am

I stew. And I can hold a grudge too.

I stew & stew & stew on stuff that happened days or weeks ago, and review in my head the stuff I should have said or wished I had said. And yes, I hate to say it but I do harbour thoughts of revenge on people who were mean to me or caused me trouble when all did was mind my own beeswax. I think to do that is human :shrug: I don't mean physical revenge, more like verbal!

I wish I wasn't like that so much. Especially when I'm lying in bed at night stewing over something & I lose sleep over it - for some reason that's my brain's favourite time to plot some revenge that's probably never going to get carried out!

AQ score: 47
RAADS-R score: 196

little_blue_jay
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

19 Aug 2014, 2:16 am

Skilpadde wrote:
But like most people I feel a lot of schadenfreude whenever something goes awry for people I dislike.

Same.

AQ score: 47
RAADS-R score: 196

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2014, 2:52 am

I was a supreme grudge holder as a callow youth but as I've grown older and closer to the finish line I discovered that one's negative emotions hold one back from heaven. I will let NOTHING and NOBODY hold me back from heaven, no sir-ee.

Transyl
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2014, 3:04 am

If no one is worth a second (or third, or fourth...) chance then I'd be screwed. Mistakes I've made have torn me up. I've been afraid that people shouldn't love me because I don't deserve it. So if someone was really sorry I'd forgive them. Because I want to believe it's possible to change and become a better person.

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2014, 4:00 am

I try to be forgiving but sometimes I can get bitter. But it's extremely rare that I am vengeful.

Wreck It Ralph

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2014, 4:01 am

Narrator wrote:
I try to remember to 'walk a mile in the other person's shoes,'
Sucks to be them because you have a mile head start and you have their shoes! :p :D

Sorry, I just couldn't resist that one! :D

Wreck It Ralph

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2014, 4:05 am

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9CdVTCDdEwI[/youtube]

LookingLost
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2014, 4:55 am

Forgiving I think, mainly at least.

KingdomOfRats
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2014, 5:51 am

am unable to get vengeful at anything apart from things that have had a massive long term build up and were a constant part of life.
every day starts anew so if a support staff or family did or said something that didnt like its not reacted about the next day.
however,will always hold a grudge towards the individual who was bullied by from here and the people who kidnapped the hand reared chickens of mine including beloved tito.

>>>help to keep bullying off our community,report it!

Narrator
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2014, 5:56 am

skibum wrote:
Narrator wrote:
I try to remember to 'walk a mile in the other person's shoes,'
Sucks to be them because you have a mile head start and you have their shoes! :p :D

Sorry, I just couldn't resist that one! :D
Ohhh.. now I feel like the kid who steals the other kid's Nikes. lol

And a blank look rarely means a blank mind.

Andrejake
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2014, 6:05 am

I forgive almost always. If not immediately, i just need to wait for a few hours and i'm ok with forgiving.