Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

Skilpadde
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2014, 2:15 pm

I really enjoy playing card, dice or board games, and so I have been checking out reviews for certain games recently. One review read something like the game being simple so it wouldn't stop chatting, another review said something similar so you could play, chat, play, chat etc.
Those of you who play these kind of games, do you or those you play with do a lot of chatting during games? If so, is it game related?

I've pretty much only played with family and relatives, and the words that are uttered are all game related, like part of the game, or mild bantering. There has never been chatting beyond that, and I can't imagine yapping on while playing anything. It would diminish the game for me and distract me.

I don't find it particularly surprising that NTs care more about the social aspect than the game itself, but seeing as I only play with NT family/rels, I haven't seen that behavior, we're all relaxing with something simple or getting really into more complex games. The game isn't something we just fidget with on the side while chatting, as I got the impression these reviewers did. If that's what they meant?

What are your thoughts and experiences here?

love you and miss you, dear boy

Stop the wolf kills! https://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeact ... 3091429765

franknfurter
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2014, 3:57 pm

when we play games as a family we generally only talk about the game we are playing, unless something specific pop up, I agree is detracts from the game if people are chatting about other things.

frodz
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

19 Aug 2014, 4:13 pm

Slightly different context but when I play online computer games, while i enjoy the background chatter of people's random conversations, I'll only speak if it's something to do with the game.

AspieUtah
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2014, 4:28 pm

I love Scrabble for this reason! I prefer games to be a reason to play slow and have a rambling conversation with others. I have never cared who wins, what the scores are or even if the game ends. However, trying to convince most of my friends of this unusual but enjoyable variation about gaming is difficult. Many of them are quite competitive and sit in silence with the eyes glued to the game. Gee, what fun!

I guess that means I would die quickly in any Dungeons & Dragons universe. Considering the alternative, I would welcome it. :D

Diagnosed in 2015 with ASD Level 1 by the University of Utah Health Care Autism Spectrum Disorder Clinic using the ADOS-2 Module 4 assessment instrument [11/30] -- Screened in 2014 with ASD by using the University of Cambridge Autism Research Centre AQ (Adult) [43/50]; EQ-60 for adults [11/80]; FQ [43/135]; SQ (Adult) [130/150] self-reported screening inventories -- Assessed since 1978 with an estimated IQ [≈145] by several clinicians -- Contact on WrongPlanet.net by private message (PM)

BeggingTurtle
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2014, 9:54 pm

Mixed feelings about it. I communicate to a few long distance friends with voice chat.

Not intending to be age-istic (is that even a word??), but in video games, the team with a little squeaker who's under 13 always loses and stupid things are said and done.

You may want to turn your volume down. :roll:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=auAvDJlMOQ8[/youtube]

AmethystRose
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

20 Aug 2014, 4:34 am

If I'm forced to talk about anything that isn't game-related while playing even simple games, my IQ-as-measured-by-ability-to-play-said-game drops by a couple standards of deviation AND my conversational skills go into hiding. Then I get frustrated and don't want to play anymore... :(

eggheadjr
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2014, 12:50 pm

Don't chat much when playing games - too focused on the game.

Might smile if I'm beating the pants off of the other person however.... :D

structrix
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2014, 1:59 pm

When playing board games I don't mind conversation as long as people play the game. If the game gets derailed because of the conversation I get pissed, LOL.

I am an Aspie!
Diagnosed as an adult

LastSanityJermaine
Raven
Raven

21 Aug 2014, 2:58 pm

BeggingTurtle wrote:
Mixed feelings about it. I communicate to a few long distance friends with voice chat.

Not intending to be age-istic (is that even a word??), but in video games, the team with a little squeaker who's under 13 always loses and stupid things are said and done.

You may want to turn your volume down. :roll:
[youtube]]

That is exactly why I play on PC, rarely hear any squeakers plus some of the games I play are a little to sophisticated for them

Skilpadde
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2014, 4:02 am

Thanks for all your replies, guys. That gives me some insight to how wide spread the chatting is.

AspieUtah wrote:
I love Scrabble for this reason! I prefer games to be a reason to play slow and have a rambling conversation with others. I have never cared who wins, what the scores are or even if the game ends. However, trying to convince most of my friends of this unusual but enjoyable variation about gaming is difficult. Many of them are quite competitive and sit in silence with the eyes glued to the game.

I love playing games and like you, I also don't care about scoring, winning or losing. I'm all about the fun of the game. My eyes are still glued to the game though! :lol:

AmethystRose wrote:
If I'm forced to talk about anything that isn't game-related while playing even simple games, my IQ-as-measured-by-ability-to-play-said-game drops by a couple standards of deviation AND my conversational skills go into hiding.

I know that feeling! I'm the same, I can only do one thing at a time.

love you and miss you, dear boy

Stop the wolf kills! https://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeact ... 3091429765