Page 1 of 2 [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

MSBKyle
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

20 Aug 2014, 4:38 pm

Why is it that whenever you fill out an application whether online or on paper, you never hear from the business. I have filled out several job applications, and rarely hear from any of them. It is so annoying and rude that they never contact you. If they are not interested in hiring you then why can't they call you back and tell you that? Why do they just ignore you?

AspieUtah
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2014, 4:59 pm

MSBKyle wrote:
Why is it that whenever you fill out an application whether online or on paper, you never hear from the business. I have filled out several job applications, and rarely hear from any of them. It is so annoying and rude that they never contact you. If they are not interested in hiring you then why can't they call you back and tell you that? Why do they just ignore you?

When I was a teenager, an applicant would always get a postcard explaining that the job that the applicant was seeking had been filled and thanked the applicant for the interest. That is all I ever expected from an employer; just a heads up about the resolution of my application. These days, however, employers get an avalanche of applicants and see no need to follow up with them. Apparently, those employers have no idea that ignoring an interested applicant who exhibits the strange desire to actually work for them usually causes the applicant to foster a negative opinion about the business and probably avoid it even as a customer.

Just tell yourself that it is "their loss," because it is.

Diagnosed in 2015 with ASD Level 1 by the University of Utah Health Care Autism Spectrum Disorder Clinic using the ADOS-2 Module 4 assessment instrument [11/30] -- Screened in 2014 with ASD by using the University of Cambridge Autism Research Centre AQ (Adult) [43/50]; EQ-60 for adults [11/80]; FQ [43/135]; SQ (Adult) [130/150] self-reported screening inventories -- Assessed since 1978 with an estimated IQ [≈145] by several clinicians -- Contact on WrongPlanet.net by private message (PM)

BirdInFlight
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2014, 5:03 pm

Although it does feel very disheartening and rude not to hear back from anyone when you're applying for jobs, sadly that's pretty much standard practice by employers these days. Most positions are usually competed for by so many applicants that it's become routine for only the successful one to be contacted, while everyone else gets no response.

Try not to take it too personally, but just as something that happens these days.

muslimmetalhead
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2014, 5:35 pm

Call or deposit your resume+application in person....and then call in later.
Give it, say, a week. Then call after whenever they say the hiring manager will be back.

Meistersinger
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2014, 7:42 pm

The first thing you learn in a job search is that the human resources department almost always run interference for the hiring department's manager. The golden rule with HR when fielding applications is "When in doubt, screen them out."

Normally, you would want to get your application in front of the hiring manager. However, I ding out the hiring manager's name is like pulling teeth.

This is one of the reasons I despise online systems like Taleo. Management has the AI engine set so specific that It weeds out everybody, except those who know how to satisfy the AI engines rules.

katiesBoyfriend
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

Location: Western spiral arm of the Milky Way galaxy, out near the outskirts of the Laniakea supercluster

20 Aug 2014, 8:05 pm

It was like that when I was out of work 30 years ago. Back then, maybe 20% responded, usually with a form letter thanking me and saying that my application will be kept on file for 6 months (does this mean their dustbins are emptied twice a year? :mrgreen: ). Nowadays, one should assume one didn't get the job unless the company makes contact. Sending out so many letters might cut into management's bonus or some such thing.

On the other hand, nobody calls a spade a spade any more. I remember one outfit I had an interview with and I called it after about a week. I had been promised that someone would get back to me "tomorrow". That was several years ago. I'm still waiting..... Then there was one firm I met with and, within 72 hours, I was told that the "focus of the job has changed". (Pig's ear, I say.) Another didn't say anything until I called it. I was told by the personnel rep that she was "about to write" the response. (Uh-huh, and I'm Napoleon Bonapate's grandfather.)

I'm semi-retired now, so I don't worry about looking for a job any more. But, in an ironic twist, the aforementioned "tomorrow" company now makes money for me. A firm I own shares in bought it several years ago and now that outfit is contributing to my net worth. Sometimes, one never knows how things are going to work out.....

Meistersinger
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2014, 8:18 pm

katiesBoyfriend wrote:
It was like that when I was out of work 30 years ago. Back then, maybe 20% responded, usually with a form letter thanking me and saying that my application will be kept on file for 6 months (does this mean their dustbins are emptied twice a year? :mrgreen: ). Nowadays, one should assume one didn't get the job unless the company makes contact. Sending out so many letters might cut into management's bonus or some such thing.

On the other hand, nobody calls a spade a spade any more. I remember one outfit I had an interview with and I called it after about a week. I had been promised that someone would get back to me "tomorrow". That was several years ago. I'm still waiting..... Then there was one firm I met with and, within 72 hours, I was told that the "focus of the job has changed". (Pig's ear, I say.) Another didn't say anything until I called it. I was told by the personnel rep that she was "about to write" the response. (Uh-huh, and I'm Napoleon Bonapate's grandfather.)

I'm semi-retired now, so I don't worry about looking for a job any more. But, in an ironic twist, the aforementioned "tomorrow" company now makes money for me. A firm I own shares in bought it several years ago and now that outfit is contributing to my net worth. Sometimes, one never knows how things are going to work out.....

Of course, when I call back regarding a potential job, I get told "don't call us, we'll call you." If I keep pressing the issue, l'm told never call back unless I want to brought up on charges of harassment.

katiesBoyfriend
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

Location: Western spiral arm of the Milky Way galaxy, out near the outskirts of the Laniakea supercluster

20 Aug 2014, 8:29 pm

Meistersinger wrote:

<snip>

Of course, when I call back regarding a potential job, I get told "don't call us, we'll call you." If I keep pressing the issue, l'm told never call back unless I want to brought up on charges of harassment.

Exactly. There's no point in being a nuisance. On the other hand, I remember one outfit that promised to bring me in for an interview, but it was vague as to when. I kept badgering it until I got an answer. I'm sure the session I had was held just to get me to shut up.

By the way, does your name mean you're a Wagnerian?

AardvarkGoodSwimmer
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2014, 8:39 pm

An older fellow in Aerospace told me to try and find the name and phone number of the actual hiring manager, which can be difficult to do. But if you can find this information, give him or her a call, and after briefly and matter-of-factly introducing yourself, he recommends saying,

"I've already sent HR a copy of my resume. May I send you a copy also?"

Meistersinger
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2014, 9:00 pm

katiesBoyfriend wrote:
Meistersinger wrote:

<snip>

Only for his music. Otherwise, Wagner was the biggest blowhard that ever lived.

Meistersinger
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2014, 9:46 pm

Another annoyance has to do with advertising a position one week before the deadline for applications. The Pa SSHE (State System of Higher Education, which are the state-owned schools in PA (Not Pitt, Temple or the State Penn, er Penn State) were notorious for this practice. For some reason, they had to advertise in the local newspapers in addition to the various academic journals, which had the vacancy announcements in their publications months before they advertised in the local newspapers. It doubly hacked me off when I had the requirements they were looking for, but I was never considered for the position because of the publication date in the local paper.

katiesBoyfriend
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

20 Aug 2014, 9:55 pm

Meistersinger wrote:
katiesBoyfriend wrote:
Meistersinger wrote:

<snip>

Only for his music. Otherwise, Wagner was the biggest blowhard that ever lived.

Musically, he was a genius. (I won a complete set of his best-known operas a few years ago! :mrgreen: ) As a person, he left a lot to be desired.

katiesBoyfriend
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

20 Aug 2014, 10:01 pm

Meistersinger wrote:
Another annoyance has to do with advertising a position one week before the deadline for applications. The Pa SSHE (State System of Higher Education, which are the state-owned schools in PA (Not Pitt, Temple or the State Penn, er Penn State) were notorious for this practice. For some reason, they had to advertise in the local newspapers in addition to the various academic journals, which had the vacancy announcements in their publications months before they advertised in the local newspapers. It doubly hacked me off when I had the requirements they were looking for, but I was never considered for the position because of the publication date in the local paper.

Often, those positions are advertised to comply with internal regulations, even though they've already been filled.

At the place where I used to teach, I remember seeing a position being advertised. I knew someone who was looking for a job like that, so I quickly told him about it. A few days later, he mentioned that he needn't have bothered.

I remember applying for one teaching position at a small-town university. About a week later, the successful candidate was announced. I don't remember if I ever got a "get lost" response.

Many of the interviews I've been at in the last dozen years were bogus. Either they were held in order to show that "all applicants" were given consideration to justify who'd already been hired or were "just in case" sessions, conducted to see who might be available if the projects in question actually went ahead.

MissDorkness
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2014, 9:04 am

I hate the open-ended way it's handled these days.

I have applied to hundreds of jobs in the past 8 years, and almost every single one required online applications, not paper in person or via mail.
SO, why did only like three of the companies have their system send out an email saying they'd hired someone else? It's a built in function of all of these systems and most companies choose not to use it? Why? Why not, rather?

lol, I applied for a lot of jobs at my old company (largest employer in the state), and almost always got a rejection form 'letter' (email), so, when I didn't, I'd report it to HR, because it means the rep assigned to those positions had turned the feature off.

Trying to explain that change to my older husband who had been at his prior job long before the electronic applications thing and the recession... it was fruitless to say the least. He'd be waiting and waiting for replies. I'm like, just pretend you threw that app in the trashcan if you don't hear back right away.

It's a pain to take the humanity out, but, I also wonder if electronic screenings are helping prevent discrimination? I wonder if a study has been done on that?

AspieUtah
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2014, 9:27 am

MissDorkness wrote:
...I have applied to hundreds of jobs in the past 8 years, and almost every single one required online applications, not paper in person or via mail.
SO, why did only like three of the companies have their system send out an email saying they'd hired someone else? It's a built in function of all of these systems and most companies choose not to use it? Why? Why not, rather...?

Very true. You have just made obvious that the emperor has no clothes. Congratulations!

Diagnosed in 2015 with ASD Level 1 by the University of Utah Health Care Autism Spectrum Disorder Clinic using the ADOS-2 Module 4 assessment instrument [11/30] -- Screened in 2014 with ASD by using the University of Cambridge Autism Research Centre AQ (Adult) [43/50]; EQ-60 for adults [11/80]; FQ [43/135]; SQ (Adult) [130/150] self-reported screening inventories -- Assessed since 1978 with an estimated IQ [≈145] by several clinicians -- Contact on WrongPlanet.net by private message (PM)

katiesBoyfriend
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

21 Aug 2014, 11:32 am

MissDorkness wrote:
I hate the open-ended way it's handled these days.

I have applied to hundreds of jobs in the past 8 years, and almost every single one required online applications, not paper in person or via mail.
SO, why did only like three of the companies have their system send out an email saying they'd hired someone else? It's a built in function of all of these systems and most companies choose not to use it? Why? Why not, rather?

Because giving you the finger might be seen as impolite. It's all a way of telling you how high you rate with them.

But that's a rejection. Imagine what it would be like if you ever worked for them.

Quote:

lol, I applied for a lot of jobs at my old company (largest employer in the state), and almost always got a rejection form 'letter' (email), so, when I didn't, I'd report it to HR, because it means the rep assigned to those positions had turned the feature off.

Trying to explain that change to my older husband who had been at his prior job long before the electronic applications thing and the recession... it was fruitless to say the least. He'd be waiting and waiting for replies. I'm like, just pretend you threw that app in the trashcan if you don't hear back right away.

It's a pain to take the humanity out, but, I also wonder if electronic screenings are helping prevent discrimination? I wonder if a study has been done on that?

No. It's a way of distancing themselves from you.