Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

Teyverus
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

22 Aug 2014, 3:41 am

I just read "A Field Guide to Earthlings", and my eyes have been opened to things I didn't even think existed. But this has left me with an unintentional consequence: I'm resentful.

I can't help but be angry that normal people do the weirdest, most illogical things that at times actively prevent the progress of mankind, but I'M the one who has to make the journey to THEIR world. What's worse, I do whatever I can to not judge people and I can't shake this feeling! Why is it ok to physically attack me when I don't behave like people are expecting, but they can do the same things and be fine? I feel like every bit of the terrible things people do to autistics is crashing down upon me with this new enlightenment.

How am I supposed to cope with this?

em_tsuj
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2014, 5:22 am

What works for me is to keep writing about and thinking about it until I reach some level of acceptance.

capri0112
Raven
Raven

22 Aug 2014, 9:29 am

This is a battle I live daily. I spend a good deal of mental energy brainstorming ideas to effectively educate people about autism. Ignorance is at the core of the disparate ways we with this largely "invisible" condition are viewed and treated.

The more ways we find to share our experiences, the more awareness will grow, and the futures of every person with autism brighten a little. I am comforted that we are heading in the right direction, through outlets such as Wrong Planet where we are more or less free to express ourselves honestly. Increasing awareness and understanding is a slow process, but every step of progress I see eases my anger.

Keep thinking, and writing, and sharing your feelings in constructive ways. It moves us forward, and helps us feel a little less resentful in the process!

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2014, 10:42 am

I write letters to my local papers explaining that autism is not a tragedy, I'm happy to be alive and that all babies deserve a chance at life.

I'm also thinking of sending articles to magazines as well.