Some questions about AS..... please help

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

hey_there
Toucan
Toucan

22 Aug 2014, 4:20 am

I've found a couple of old thread related to these questions, but I heard the DSM criteria has changed so I'm starting a new thread.

1. Can you have AS without having a special interest/restricted interests? I'm interested in a wide variety of things rather than just one or two exclusive ones.

2.There have been times in the past where I've become super interested in something for a a short amount of time and then I lost interest in it. What is that called? Is it related to AS?

3. My mom says there's this little thing I do with my shoulder a lot of times. I'm not aware at all that it even happens, so i don't do it for enjoyment/comfort or anything. Can something like this be considered an example of repetitive movement/motions (like most autistics have). If not, is a repetitive behavior a requirement?

4. Can you have AS WITHOUT sensory issues? I don't have any sensitivity to sensations/bright light/noise/smells/etc.

5. Can you have AS without having meltdowns/shutdowns. I don't have these. I do have anger issues and at times may even throw something, but there are NTs who have that too.

6. It is normal for someone with AS to have only average memory/IQ, and not be that good at math? I seem to here how many autistics have a very good memory maybe even photographic. Mine is only average though. Also, my math abilities are not great and I can't do math in my head.

7. Is it normal for someone with AS to have an average vocabulary and not know many big words? I notice a lot of people on this site have an advanced vocabulary and use big words, which I usually don't know the meaning of.

ConceptuallyCurious
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

22 Aug 2014, 5:56 am

Well, the DSM 5 doesn't specifically have AS anymore - it's been merged under Autism Spectrum Disorder.

The criteria is:

Quote:
A. Persistent deficits in social communication and social interaction across multiple contexts, as manifested by the following, currently or by history (examples are illustrative, not exhaustive, see text):

1. Deficits in social-emotional reciprocity, ranging, for example, from abnormal social approach and failure of normal back-and-forth conversation; to reduced sharing of interests, emotions, or affect; to failure to initiate or respond to social interactions.

2. Deficits in nonverbal communicative behaviors used for social interaction, ranging, for example, from poorly integrated verbal and nonverbal communication; to abnormalities in eye contact and body language or deficits in understanding and use of gestures; to a total lack of facial expressions and nonverbal communication.

3. Deficits in developing, maintaining, and understanding relationships, ranging, for example, from difficulties adjusting behavior to suit various social contexts; to difficulties in sharing imaginative play or in making friends; to absence of interest in peers.

Specify current severity:

Severity is based on social communication impairments and restricted repetitive patterns of behavior (see Table 2).

B. Restricted, repetitive patterns of behavior, interests, or activities, as manifested by at least two of the following, currently or by history (examples are illustrative, not exhaustive; see text):

1. Stereotyped or repetitive motor movements, use of objects, or speech (e.g., simple motor stereotypies, lining up toys or flipping objects, echolalia, idiosyncratic phrases).

2. Insistence on sameness, inflexible adherence to routines, or ritualized patterns or verbal nonverbal behavior (e.g., extreme distress at small changes, difficulties with transitions, rigid thinking patterns, greeting rituals, need to take same route or eat food every day).

3. Highly restricted, fixated interests that are abnormal in intensity or focus (e.g, strong attachment to or preoccupation with unusual objects, excessively circumscribed or perseverative interest).

4. Hyper- or hyporeactivity to sensory input or unusual interests in sensory aspects of the environment (e.g., apparent indifference to pain/temperature, adverse response to specific sounds or textures, excessive smelling or touching of objects, visual fascination with lights or movement).

Specify current severity:

Severity is based on social communication impairments and restricted, repetitive patterns of behavior (see Table 2).

C. Symptoms must be present in the early developmental period (but may not become fully manifest until social demands exceed limited capacities, or may be masked by learned strategies in later life).

D. Symptoms cause clinically significant impairment in social, occupational, or other important areas of current functioning.

E. These disturbances are not better explained by intellectual disability (intellectual developmental disorder) or global developmental delay. Intellectual disability and autism spectrum disorder frequently co-occur; to make comorbid diagnoses of autism spectrum disorder and intellectual disability, social communication should be below that expected for general developmental level.

Note: Individuals with a well-established DSM-IV diagnosis of autistic disorder, Asperger?s disorder, or pervasive developmental disorder not otherwise specified should be given the diagnosis of autism spectrum disorder. Individuals who have marked deficits in social communication, but whose symptoms do not otherwise meet criteria for autism spectrum disorder, should be evaluated for social (pragmatic) communication disorder.

So, if you have or have had (by history) these two, you could be diagnosed without hypersensitivity or restricted in interests.

1. Stereotyped or repetitive motor movements, use of objects, or speech (e.g., simple motor stereotypies, lining up toys or flipping objects, echolalia, idiosyncratic phrases).

2. Insistence on sameness, inflexible adherence to routines, or ritualized patterns or verbal nonverbal behavior (e.g., extreme distress at small changes, difficulties with transitions, rigid thinking patterns, greeting rituals, need to take same route or eat food every day).

Alternatively, if you only have social difficulties you might have Social (Pragmatic) Communication Disorder, for which the diagnositic criteria is:

Quote:
A. Persistent difficulties in the social use of verbal and nonverbal communication as manifested by all of the following:

1. Deficits in using communication for social purposes, such as greeting and sharing information, in a manner that is appropriate for the social context.

2. Impairment of the ability to change communication to match context or the needs of the listener, such as speaking differently in a classroom than on the playground, talking differently to a child than to an adult, and avoiding use of overly formal language.

3. Difficulties following rules for conversation and storytelling, such as taking turns in conversation, rephrasing when misunderstood, and knowing how to use verbal and nonverbal signals to regulate interaction.

4. Difficulties understanding what is not explicitly stated (e.g., making inferences) and nonliteral or ambiguous meanings of language (e.g., idioms, humor, metaphors, multiple meanings that depend on the context for interpretation).

B. The deficits result in functional limitations in effective communication, social participation, social relationships, academic achievement, or occupational performance, individually or in combination.

C. The onset of the symptoms is in the early developmental period (but deficits may not become fully manifest until social communication demands exceed limited capacities).

D. The symptoms are not attributable to another medical or neurological condition or to low abilities in the domains or word structure and grammar, and are not better explained by autism spectrum disorder, intellectual disability (intellectual developmental disorder), global developmental delay, or another mental disorder.

Honestly, it's hard to say from a very brief description. Many kids get very interested in a single thing for short periods - it's really depends on the intensity, focus and how long a 'short period' is.

People with AS need not have above average intelligence, and some even have specific difficulties such as Dyscalculia - so you don't need to be good at maths either. Many people with AS use big words, but again it's not necessary - especially as AS, PDD-NOS and ASD have merged.

KingdomOfRats
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2014, 6:37 am

high functioning autism has a minimum IQ of one point or above 70 and nothings changed there with the definition of HFA, its a stereotype that aspies have high iqs because aspergers had a minimum iq requirement of above 70, plus aspies have the language skills to verbalise their inteligences,whereas classic autism comes with IQs from the lowest to the highest plus we are unable to verbalise the non academic inteligences we do have which makes us appear less able than we actualy are.

>>>help to keep bullying off our community,report it!

Adamantium
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2014, 7:10 am

I think it's worth noting that you can have all of the traits and symptoms in the DSM 5 criteria and NOT be autistic if they don't create problems in your functioning such that you require some degree of support in order to get by.

The diagnosis should only be made if the symptoms mean you require support, require substantial support or require very substantial support.

If you are thinking, that's kind of like me, but not in any dramatic way, then you might be part of the subclinical broader autistic phenotype (BAP.)

You might also be on the borderline and find that as stressors in your life change, you gain or lose the functional problems required for diagnosis.

If you don't currently need support, then you won't get the diagnosis, but you may still recognize the traits and learn something about yourself from studying them.

AspieUtah
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2014, 11:31 am

hey_there wrote:
I've found a couple of old thread related to these questions, but I heard the DSM criteria has changed so I'm starting a new thread.

1. Can you have AS without having a special interest/restricted interests? I'm interested in a wide variety of things rather than just one or two exclusive ones.

I believe that this is possible because not every individual with AS will exhibit every stereotypical AS characteristic.

Quote:
2.There have been times in the past where I've become super interested in something for a a short amount of time and then I lost interest in it. What is that called? Is it related to AS?

Special interests usually recur for more than "short amount[s] of time[,]" but, if your interests come and go, but always return to a degree of intensity that you don't have for ordinary interests, then I believe that those special interests are AS-related.

Quote:
3. My mom says there's this little thing I do with my shoulder a lot of times. I'm not aware at all that it even happens, so i don't do it for enjoyment/comfort or anything. Can something like this be considered an example of repetitive movement/motions (like most autistics have). If not, is a repetitive behavior a requirement?

If your mother has observed and noted it, and it is recurrent, I believe that such behavior would meet the criteria for AS.

Quote:
4. Can you have AS WITHOUT sensory issues? I don't have any sensitivity to sensations/bright light/noise/smells/etc.

5. Can you have AS without having meltdowns/shutdowns. I don't have these. I do have anger issues and at times may even throw something, but there are NTs who have that too.

Sure, but I don't believe that it is likely. I have combined my reply to both these questions because I believe that they relate to each other. You say that you have observed your own anger issues. If these issues are provoked or exacerbated because of stimuli beyond your control, it is possible that they are sensory sensitivity. Also, meltdowns and shutdowns are usually just different descriptions of anger issues. For example, I have had just one meltdown in my life, but used to have many shutdowns. As an adult, however, it is a better description to say that have anger issues which I have learned to let play out in my mind. So, the descriptive terms are kind of fluid.

Quote:
6. It is normal for someone with AS to have only average memory/IQ, and not be that good at math? I seem to here how many autistics have a very good memory maybe even photographic. Mine is only average though. Also, my math abilities are not great and I can't do math in my head.

7. Is it normal for someone with AS to have an average vocabulary and not know many big words? I notice a lot of people on this site have an advanced vocabulary and use big words, which I usually don't know the meaning of.

Sure. Again, I have combined my answers about these two questions. People with AS can have superior math skills, or verbal skills, or science skills, etc. While I have a 145IQ, my math skills are just enough to complete a tax return. The truth is that a disproportionate number of people with AS have superior math skills, but not all. My skills are more verbal, so my photographic memory kicks in only about documents which I have read, and conversations I have witnessed or taken part, sometimes including several people. I can even recreate the scenes with where people were seated or standing, what their mannerisms were while speaking, and even their voice inflections. But, I blank completely about some other things.

So, my overall answer to your questions is: Yes, but not always. People with AS usually have a subset of many stereotypical characteristics, but I don't know of anyone with AS who has all such characteristics.

I hope that my layman's opinion helps.

Diagnosed in 2015 with ASD Level 1 by the University of Utah Health Care Autism Spectrum Disorder Clinic using the ADOS-2 Module 4 assessment instrument [11/30] -- Screened in 2014 with ASD by using the University of Cambridge Autism Research Centre AQ (Adult) [43/50]; EQ-60 for adults [11/80]; FQ [43/135]; SQ (Adult) [130/150] self-reported screening inventories -- Assessed since 1978 with an estimated IQ [≈145] by several clinicians -- Contact on WrongPlanet.net by private message (PM)

hey_there
Toucan
Toucan

23 Aug 2014, 1:22 am

About #5, my anger is not provoked by stimuli beyond my control. I am in some ways narcissistic (I don't have the full personality disorder, just characteristics), and narcissists get angry easily.

Jensen
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2014, 5:00 am

hey_there wrote:

Absolutely.
Quote:
It may be, but the normal way to find interests is to try it out. If you haven´t tasted it, you can´t know if you like it.
Quote:
It may or it may not. The body - everyones body - piles up stress, and the little movement may be a tick, or it may be a little unconcious habit of stress relief, - or it may be a repetitive pattern.
Quote:
Yes, but you mention all the classics. Somewhere you could have a sensitivity, that you don´t think about as different from everyone else. It can be very discrete.
Quote:
Yes, you can.
Quote:
Yes, you can be quite average in that respect. I score top level at some things, but math isn´t one of them for sure.
Quote:
Yes. It depends on personality and areas of interest.

You see, each and every trait can be AS-typical or average. It is more the combination, that can indicate AS or NT. A test is absolutely nescessary to be near certain, - for certain, you will never be :)

hey_there
Toucan
Toucan

23 Aug 2014, 5:32 am

Thanks for the replies :)

Say, I had an appointment with a geneticist (not for this but for something else) and while we were talking some things made there way into the conversation like me being being introverted, eye contact, and not being able to tell if something is rude or not (AS traits) and he had said they were characteristic of aspergers. The hospital's website has this thing called "my chart" where they give you a code and you can use it to create your own personal account in which you can see your medical record, among other things, and when I logged in to see my record I noticed that under the "current health issues" section my geneticist had put "Aspergers Syndrome". Is this an official diagnosis? We didn't talk in depth about all of my characteristics, just a few things, and he never really talked about the DSM diagnostic criteria to see if I meet it.

Jensen
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2014, 10:20 am

You´ve been spotted by a sharp expert. Don´t know, if it´s as good as a dx, but you could ask. At least it´s official, now it is in your records. It may be of some importance for you in some ways to have it made into a dx, - so pursue it......and congrats.,