Page 2 of 3 [ 34 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

SilverProteus
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2014, 6:30 am

LoveNotHate wrote:
they say dinosaurs existed, so big foot is no big deal

Don't know if being serious or not. :(

Poe's Law makes these kinds of exchanges complicated.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2014, 6:36 am

LoveNotHate wrote:
they say dinosaurs existed, so big foot is no big deal

Explain your logic please.

I can hop on the subway and look at the seventy foot long skeleton of a dinosaur in the Smithsonian anytime I like.

Ive never seen a bigfoot, living or dead.

So bigfoot is a step up in disbelief from dinosaurs. Not a step down.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2014, 9:54 am

yournamehere wrote:
It goes like this...

Dear Dude:

There are plenty enough greasy rednecks like myself that would "accidentally" shoot one of those critters and leave it on the front doorstep of some university in the middle of the night, if in fact they were real.

You cannot hide an animal from a redneck.

Sincerely:
The Village Idiot

Why would you shoot one? they're like wookies, would you really want a bunch of them after you for killing their brethren, they seem kinda brutal I wouldn't want to get on the bad side of one of them.

Last edited by Sweetleaf on 23 Aug 2014, 10:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2014, 9:58 am

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:
I didn't even say I believe in Big Foot. Why is it just mentioning this kind of subject causes scorn and ridicule? It is just a possibility. I am not saying Big Foot is a certainty. I just find it curious that learned individuals with graduate degrees would be so interested in such an elusive creature.

If you think it's an impossibility consider this; a certain species of Ivory Billed Woodpecker in Arkansas is confined to a very specific range and that is the only place in the world it exists. It was hunted to near extinction and scientists think it is extinct now however no one knows for certain if it really truly is or if there are a few stragglers here and there lingering in this bog in Arkansas and this isn't the only species that shares a similar experience. When numbers are low it is difficult to tell if it is there or not.

I don't know why people get like that over the mere mention of the topic....and my personal opinion is I don't see any evidence that they don't exist which leaves the possibility they do. Also on the off chance they aren't of this world maybe they are hard to find because they come and go....or maybe they are just very good at stealth and don't want to be seen. But that is just my opinion, not to mention I can mention a few intresting things family members have told me about, like instances up in Northren Minnesota in the thick foresty area involving potential sightings of them....I really don't think any of that would make me an idiot or stupid, just open minded they maybe are a real thing.

Also of all the is it real or a myth sort of things, it does not seem that far fetched that a large primate creature covered in fur might wander the forests compared to some that seem a lot more far fetched.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2014, 11:00 am

Sweetleaf wrote:
yournamehere wrote:
It goes like this...

Dear Dude:

There are plenty enough greasy rednecks like myself that would "accidentally" shoot one of those critters and leave it on the front doorstep of some university in the middle of the night, if in fact they were real.

Sincerely:
The Village Idiot

Why would you shoot one? they're like wookies, would you really want a bunch of them after you for killing their brethren, they seem kinda brutal I wouldn't want to get on the bad side of one of them.

Have read accounts of witnesses who happened to have been armed, and on hunting trips when they saw one.

And these witnesses have put bigfoot into their gun sights (hoping to bag the real thing and prove it all), but then these folks would gag at pulling the trigger precisely because the creature was so humanlike that it was "like shooting a person".

On top of that in either Washington, or Oregan(forget which), its a five thousand dollar fine for "the wanton slaying of an mountain ape creature" (its written into the law that they may not exist-but if they do -you cant kill one unless its in like self defense). And if you're in the deep woods and follow through and actually pull the trigger on a bigfoot you encounter-you might be murdering a human prankster in a gorilla suit!

So there are lots of a issues involved in actually shooting a bigfoot.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2014, 11:15 am

naturalplastic wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:
yournamehere wrote:
It goes like this...

Dear Dude:

Sincerely:
The Village Idiot

Have read accounts of witnesses who happened to have been armed, and on hunting trips when they saw one.

And these witnesses have put bigfoot into their gun sights (hoping to bag the real thing and prove it all), but then these folks would gag at pulling the trigger precisely because the creature was so humanlike that it was "like shooting a person".

On top of that in either Washington, or Oregan(forget which), its a five thousand dollar fine for "the wanton slaying of an mountain ape creature" (its written into the law that they may not exist-but if they do -you cant kill one unless its in like self defense). And if you're in the deep woods and follow through and actually pull the trigger on a bigfoot you encounter-you might be murdering a human prankster in a gorilla suit!

So there are lots of a issues involved in actually shooting a bigfoot.

Yeah my reasoning there is a bit out there, but seriously what if they are wookies :twisted: lol

Anyways the risk of actually shooting a human dressed up like a bigfoot would be pretty horrid, and obviously shooting something that seems human like is going to be very difficult for most people even those who hunt animals. Its interesting there's actually a law pertaining to that.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2014, 1:43 pm

That's another issue.

They might be like wookies in the sense that they might be social primates (like gorillas, baboons, and humans), and they might well gang up on you if you shot one of them.

Don't go in the woods alone!

Spiderpig
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2014, 6:32 pm

What about capturing one with a lasso? If it?s a human in disguise, you should find out soon enough :P

The red lake has been forgotten. A dust devil stuns you long enough to shroud forever those last shards of wisdom. The breeze rocking this forlorn wasteland whispers in your ears, “Não resta mais que uma sombra”.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2014, 7:33 pm

Was thinking more along the lines of a tranquilizer dart fired by either a gun, or by a crossbow.

You could take the beast alive. And if it is a human in a gorilla suit- they might sue you, but thats better than a murder conviction.

You need special skills to lasso something. And you would be in the thick foliated woods anyway that would interfere with lassoing.

Humanaut
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2014, 7:37 pm

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:
So what is the deal here?

Easy, that's a low flying weather balloon.

YippySkippy
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2014, 9:50 pm

If he works for a university, and he somehow convinced them to fund him, then the answer is: paid vacation.
He's getting paid to go camping.

LoveNotHate
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2014, 9:53 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
Explain your logic please. I can hop on the subway and look at the seventy foot long skeleton of a dinosaur in the Smithsonian anytime I like.
Ive never seen a bigfoot, living or dead. So bigfoot is a step up in disbelief from dinosaurs. Not a step down.

Scientists say that some of the animals of today descended from dinosaurs.

So it not hard at all to believe in mythical creatures of mermaids, Big Foot, dragons, Sphinx, Cerberus, Chimeras - knowing that dinosaurs were supposedly real. Dinosaurs are far more unbelievable that a big ape animal or a multi-headed dog.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2014, 10:10 pm

YippySkippy wrote:
If he works for a university, and he somehow convinced them to fund him, then the answer is: paid vacation.
He's getting paid to go camping.

This.

Hes probably just gonna drink beer and fish for trout, and then hang a few motion sensor cameras from trees to give the appearance of looking for bigfoot.

Nice work if you can get it.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2014, 6:28 pm

LoveNotHate wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:
Explain your logic please. I can hop on the subway and look at the seventy foot long skeleton of a dinosaur in the Smithsonian anytime I like.
Ive never seen a bigfoot, living or dead. So bigfoot is a step up in disbelief from dinosaurs. Not a step down.

So it not hard at all to believe in mythical creatures of mermaids, Big Foot, dragons, Sphinx, Cerberus, Chimeras - knowing that dinosaurs were supposedly real. Dinosaurs are far more unbelievable that a big ape animal or a multi-headed dog.

For all we know there are still dragons laying dormant, perhaps they just haven't hatched yet :twisted:

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2014, 7:35 pm

LoveNotHate wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:

That doesnt follow logically.

How "fantastic" the creature is is irrelevant. Its whether or not there is evidence for it existing that makes its existence believable, or not. There is literally tons of bones of dinosaurs at hand. But not an once of hard evidence for bigfoot. Lots of soft evidence but no hard evidence. There isnt even that for sphinxes, etc.

SilverProteus
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2014, 7:48 pm

I'm curious, LoveNotHate, how do you rationalise the existence of dinosaur bones and paleontological evidence?