Page 2 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2014, 10:47 am

BirdInFlight wrote:
I think there's a difference between sharing something with a friend about your dealings with someone else because something is bothering you, which is very similar to telling a therapist about someone in your life, and true gossip which is essentially simply talking about other people just for mean-spririted kicks, that may spread untruths and speculation that may border on slander.

Example of true gossip for mean-spirited kicks:
Neighbor 1: "So did you see that woman in number 409 the other day?"
Neighbor 2: "No, what about her?"
"She was chatting to a different man outside her house and then they walked in together!"
"You mean a different one from the guy we saw her with the other week?"
"Yes!"
"Do you think she is cheating on a boyfriend -- or do you think it's worse than that?"
"What do you mean worse?"
"Maybe she's a HOOKER!! !!"
"Oh my god, you never know! I mean, she does dress kinda slu*ty -- did you see those shoes she had on yesterday? Nobody who wears shoes like that is a respectable person...."

Example of talking about other people, which I wouldn't call gossip:
Wife gets home from work: "Crap, I just really am getting closer to wanting to quit."
Husband: "What happened?"
Wife: "It's the situation with my manager, Jane. She is really starting to make unfair demands of me and it's getting personal. I think she is treating me unfairly and it's getting to where I could make a legal complaint."
Husband: "I've said it before, you should take this to Jane's own upper-manager Mike."
Wife: "I would, except lately I'm not so sure he would be sympathetic to my complaints about Jane. "
Husband: "Why not?"
Wife, with embarrassment and difficulty: "......because I saw them kissing in the corridor yesterday. I was only going out to the bathroom and there they were. They didn't see me but I was a bit shocked. And now I realize if they've got something going between them, I now have nobody to whom I could take a legitimate complaint about Jane's treatment of me and her demands on me..."
Husband: "Oh...crap. I see what you mean. Well that kind of makes things difficult -- is there anyone higher still you can go to?"

See, in the first example, the gossip is for no purpose, it's not fact-finding or fact-disclosing for anyone's benefit or for better understanding of a situation. It's just plain nosiness for prurient, self-satisfying entertainment. It's talking about something that's nobody's business and it's also twisting a situation into a complete untruth, fabrication, sensationalist slander, etc.

In the second example, Person 1 is in anguish about a situation and they are sharing it with Person 2, but in order to look closer at the problem, Person 1 had to share a situation she witnessed. She isn't talking about it for entertainment, she's imparting difficult information to offload, vent, share the fact that her own problem has worsened because of what she saw. She and her husband are not gleeful they are just realizing there is a new wrinkle to the problem at work.

So I think the difference is entertainment and lack of true need.

If the talking about the other people has no purpose other than entertaining you, you're gossipping.

If the talking about the other people is because you have to vent something, give information to help someone advise you, etc, it's not gossip.

It seems like a fine line but often it really isn't.

Perhaps it was my intentions being misread and I took it literal. :shrugs: But I have also gotten accused of slander because my perspective of a situation was supposedly wrong and I took it literal too. :?

I am a literal person so anything that is said to me, I learn the definition of the word. If I was doing something and I was told I was being manipulative, I would think that behavior is manipulation and say that person is being manipulative because of that behavior they are doing and it doesn't matter who and why.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

BirdInFlight
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2014, 11:19 am

I'm having difficulty understanding the last couple of responses following my response.

Someone copy-pasted one of my sentences and then said it's still uncomfortable "talking about people."

I get that you don't like "talking about people" at all, in that case, is that what you're saying?

But I was trying to point out that not everyone who "talks about people" is doing it for bad reasons, or that it is always truly "gossip."

I was trying to say that there IS a difference between describing things that are happening with a third party, and just chit-chatting about mean spirited things just for the entertainment.

Also, discussing a difficulty with a third party doesn't preclude or exclude that you may later "say it to the face" of the person you have had to discuss.

You may come to a solution with the third party, then be better able to "say it to their face" to the person you need to talk to instead of about.

I'd also like to add that I'm saying this even as a person who, myself loathes gossip.

I myself have been and am still being right now a victim of mean, pointless and slanderous gossip RIGHT NOW.

But I can see the DIFFERENCE between that kind of gossip and ANOTHER kind of talking where someone has to discuss something with someone else. One is for mean entertainment value and has no decent purpose. The other is coming from necessity for help or advice and does not have an enjoyment factor.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2014, 11:45 am

BirdInFlight wrote:
I'm having difficulty understanding the last couple of responses following my response.

Someone copy-pasted one of my sentences and then said it's still uncomfortable "talking about people."

I get that you don't like "talking about people" at all, in that case, is that what you're saying?

But I was trying to point out that not everyone who "talks about people" is doing it for bad reasons, or that it is always truly "gossip."

I was trying to say that there IS a difference between describing things that are happening with a third party, and just chit-chatting about mean spirited things just for the entertainment.

Also, discussing a difficulty with a third party doesn't preclude or exclude that you may later "say it to the face" of the person you have had to discuss.

You may come to a solution with the third party, then be better able to "say it to their face" to the person you need to talk to instead of about.

I'd also like to add that I'm saying this even as a person who, myself loathes gossip.

I myself have been and am still being right now a victim of mean, pointless and slanderous gossip RIGHT NOW.

But I can see the DIFFERENCE between that kind of gossip and ANOTHER kind of talking where someone has to discuss something with someone else. One is for mean entertainment value and has no decent purpose. The other is coming from necessity for help or advice and does not have an enjoyment factor.

I think we both got confused. I know what you wrote and understood. It got me thinking when I got accused of doing gossip in the past, my intentions were being misread by other people. So I learned what I was doing was called "gossip." Maybe that was why that person accused me of twisting their words, this happened years back after an online drama occurred and I was deeply upset and wouldn't stop talking about it and I got accused of gossip by two different people. All I learned was from it was if I am upset about anything, talk about it once and bottle it all up because you can only do it once or it's gossip. I can only talk to one person about it and that's it and bottle the rest up and deal with it myself. Maybe it was a misunderstanding then and she may have misread me and I didn't know she misread me so I got confused then and learned that was gossip. As a kid my parents always had to be careful when they explained stuff to me because then it would be very difficult to fix my thinking it would be hours of explaining it so I would get it. But now I am not so sure anymore. On the internet, it can be hard to interpret how someone is feeling through text. You can't see their emotions or their tone of voice or if they are crying or not. All you see is words. I don't even know myself what I am doing can come off differently to others. I learned if I keep talking about it, people may think I am trying to spread rumors or trying to slander and poking fun and doing a witch hunt. Best to keep it in PM or IM than posting about it on a public forum. I was told it was all "gossip" so I am saying perhaps they misread my intentions so I learned the wrong thing about gossip.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2014, 11:47 am

Personally I can't gossip. But I'm always intrigued when other people are gossiping.

I love it!

They can be a bit harsh at times though.

BirdInFlight
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2014, 11:50 am

Ah I see now, okay. :)

You were thinking about the time you said something without realizing there was anything wrong about saying it, and somebody told you it was then "gossiping."

I also see how when you made that "gone to jail" comment you were only kidding, but it got taken the wrong way.

I think all of this is another way that human communications are so complicated.