Did anybody here finish college at a later age?

Page 1 of 3 [ 42 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

WantToHaveALife
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2014, 8:14 pm

nice to know

WantToHaveALife
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2014, 11:11 am

anybody else here finish college later?

fract
Butterfly
Butterfly

17 Oct 2014, 3:04 pm

I studied computer science for some years with little success, got depressed and dropped out. Then did some computer work and ended up unemployed with no money and also ended up in hospital. In 2004 (when I was 27) I started studies again from zero at a much worse school, but finished it in time, got a job and got back on track, getting the bachelor's degree when I was 29. Later I went to grad school and I'll get my PhD in 2016.

Gosh, I'm old.

NicholasName
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

17 Oct 2014, 3:30 pm

If I'm really lucky, I might have a bachelor's degree by 30. I don't expect to be ready for a job in my major until my mid-to-late 30s, but I'll get there eventually, God willing.

Homer_Bob
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2014, 6:43 pm

I went to college straight out of high school but didn't get my bachelors degree until seven years later. It took me a while between me working multiple jobs, taking a semester off once every few years, and switching from a community college to a four-year state college. I'm glad I got my degree and all but it's not helping me get the job I want yet. Anyway you look at it, you can't get many good jobs instantly with a degree without experience. I will probably have to go back to school and may even do a graduate program so I can get internship experience.

"The less I know about other people's affairs, the happier I am. I'm not interested in caring about people. I once worked with a guy for three years and never learned his name. The best friend I ever had. We still never talk sometimes."

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2014, 8:24 pm

I didn't get my bachelor's until age 45, in 2006.

It's not all that uncommon for people in the US to obtain their bachelor's degree later than the traditional age of 21-22.

WantToHaveALife
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2014, 7:41 pm

interesting to hear, and I was reading a statistic today that the majority of people with Autism/Aspergers don't graduate college, is that true?

justanothergal
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

09 Nov 2014, 5:46 am

I was 26 when I finished (started when I was 18). However I took 2 full years off in there and later developed a major health issue that required surgery. Prior to the diagnosis of the condition, I'd steadily gotten sicker with severe infections that made me miss a lot of class time.

Overall, said issue affected me for 6 years or most of my schooling career in other words. The problem was finally diagnosed and fixed and to this day I'm constanty reminded by my doctor (who did his best to try a diagnosis during the whole ordeal) that I'm luck to be alive with no brain or heart damage.

WantToHaveALife
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2014, 7:28 am

What about the stat that most aspies don't finish college? Found that out last week although the percentage wasn't listed

Suzybeth
Butterfly
Butterfly

13 Nov 2014, 12:38 pm

I just started doing a degree in painting, I was 58 when I started. Hope that helps :wink:

WantToHaveALife
Veteran
Veteran

14 Nov 2014, 12:14 pm

Suzybeth wrote:
I just started doing a degree in painting, I was 58 when I started. Hope that helps :wink:

so that's when you got your first Bachelors?

paddy26
Toucan
Toucan

15 Nov 2014, 4:22 pm

I'm 32 and am currently in the last few months of a masters degree. I know quite a lot of people who've started a degree course in their 30s and 40s, in fact I think its becoming more common.

WantToHaveALife
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2014, 1:59 pm

paddy26 wrote:
I'm 32 and am currently in the last few months of a masters degree. I know quite a lot of people who've started a degree course in their 30s and 40s, in fact I think its becoming more common.

really you believe it is becoming more common?

MissDorkness
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2014, 2:38 pm

WantToHaveALife wrote:
paddy26 wrote:

More common than it was 15 years ago.

I originally went to college in 1998, finally finished in 2011. So, much of that statement is an observation. There are many more night classes (geared toward working adults) than there were back when I was starting out.

I also conduct surveys and polls for a professional organization. The number of people with a degree has shot up in that same timespan, but, the average age of members has always been in the 40s.

I did one survey a couple years back about what education people were currently pursuing and 16% were adults working on degrees and 6% were signed up at a trade school (no specifications whether that was for a degree, certificate or just a single targeted class).

Is it because they didn't have the opportunity when they were younger? (like the mothers I went to class with whose kids were my age) Is it because they're at a point they want to change careers? (which was my motivation to go back) or is it merely because of the recession, and trying to make themselves look better than the other candidates?

Who knows, there are a lot of factors.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2014, 6:09 pm

The good thing is:

The opportunity is always there to go back to school.

You could start at community college if you don't get into a 4-year school. I know remedial courses are a hassle, and they are no credit--but I believe it'll be worth it in the end even if one has to take remedial courses.

Community college courses for credit count exactly the same as 4-year courses for credit here in the US.

WantToHaveALife
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2014, 11:14 am

MissDorkness wrote:
WantToHaveALife wrote:
paddy26 wrote:

More common than it was 15 years ago.

I originally went to college in 1998, finally finished in 2011. So, much of that statement is an observation. There are many more night classes (geared toward working adults) than there were back when I was starting out.

I also conduct surveys and polls for a professional organization. The number of people with a degree has shot up in that same timespan, but, the average age of members has always been in the 40s.

I did one survey a couple years back about what education people were currently pursuing and 16% were adults working on degrees and 6% were signed up at a trade school (no specifications whether that was for a degree, certificate or just a single targeted class).

Is it because they didn't have the opportunity when they were younger? (like the mothers I went to class with whose kids were my age) Is it because they're at a point they want to change careers? (which was my motivation to go back) or is it merely because of the recession, and trying to make themselves look better than the other candidates?

Who knows, there are a lot of factors.

a trade school is different than a 4-year university or community college right?