Input from Therapists experienced w/ Aspergers requested.

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Here
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

26 Aug 2014, 6:40 pm

Hello,

What are the roles of Therapists in contributing to WrongPlanet?

The concern here is people who need professional help are using such Forums as WrongPlanet as a substitute for professional help.

Yes, granted, many negative experiences with Therapists, and other professionals experienced with the Autism Spectrum are discussed. Yet too often, a sentiment to "throw the baby out with the bath water" naturally results; that is the quality professionals are overlooked.

Are there collective professional roles (more or less formal) amongst Therapists to collectively encourage people to seek professional assistance, instead of relying on the Internet for help?

Thank-you

Waterfalls
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2014, 7:10 pm

I don't think I understand.

Occasionally a professional joins and posts about something. The quality of their information doesn't seem better than any other member. We also have a few members who are professionals who have ASD and I've really enjoyed their posts.

Could you explain what you are saying more?

em_tsuj
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2014, 7:38 pm

This isn't a professional service. This a forum for people to seek support from others with similar experiences. Some of us are mental health professionals but we don't diagnose or treat each other or make referrals. As far as I know, there are no paid therapists on-staff at wrongplanet.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2014, 9:08 pm

The concern is that professional help is out of reach financially or location wise for many posters. They come here for advice instead of doing nothing. Criticizing them for that is blaming the victim.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Here
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

27 Aug 2014, 11:11 am

Hello,

The purpose of inviting Therapists (as well as other professionals experienced with Aspergers(AS)) to post their input to (WP) is to encourage the discussions of positive helpful, experiences from trustworthy professionals.

As I'm currently seeking consultation from an awesome Therapist experienced with (AS), I can understand how cost/access to professionals are barriers. Yet, I'm able to receive services on a sliding scale; which can allow services to become affordable.

In short, there is a need to boost discussions from both the perspectives of quality professionals, and positive experiences of clientele receiving services.

The goals here can be to encourage positive discussions; increasingly reflected throughout (WP)!

Thank-you