Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 

quitedifferent
Butterfly
Butterfly

29 Aug 2014, 9:22 am

I'm going to get checked out for Asperger's syndrome very soon, since I strongly believe I have it and (now) so does my mother. But, I am just curious about something. I really didn't notice I repeat things until my mom asked my why I always repeated questions or requests instead of answering, however when I read more into echolalia I wondered if it could be that because the way it happens to me is a little different. Let's say someone says "pass the salt." Even I I heard them, I'd say "pass the salt" back, either exactly the way they said it or as a question. What kind of confuses me is that I change things sometimes. For example, if someone says "could you pass the salt?" Instead of replying "could you pass the salt?" I'll say "could I pass the salt?" That one confuses me because I'm not sure if it would be echolalia because I'm changing it. Also, after someone says a sentence I'll usually repeat the last words or last few words. Would this be echolalia if I changed a part of what someone has said?
P. S. I only just realized I did this because my mom asked me about it, apparently I've been doing it my whole life.

Lumi
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2014, 3:04 pm

Repeating the last words from someone else is echolalia.