Anxiety and weird experiences I am having.

Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 

Whathappened
Raven
Raven

29 Aug 2014, 9:25 pm

Does anyone else have run ins with anxiety and just weird, somewhat alarming symptoms of anxiety, like random thoughts that change your mood, intrusive horrible cyclic thoughts that loop you in (those are by FAR the worst), strange altered states of reality/perception... and just a general feeling of apprehension when its all over - like hanging over you like a cloud in the background all the time? I know lots of people have anxiety. But it's just been real, real hard for me to deal with. Now I've struggled with these issues for a LONG time. For about 15 years - since I was 13.
But I've been hanging out with my brother lately again, and (we are two years apart and were very close growing up)....and we have been doing a lot of hanging out and talking a lot about things we used to do, say, listen to, and stuff when we were younger. It brought me back there, and I felt normal again - normal for us. Where we differ is that my brother never experienced the anxiety that I have. And that's what I don't know the why. .. Why why why. Why did it happen, why doesn't it happen to him?

Questions I can't help but ask myself. The anxiety is really serious and it disrupts my life a lot. I can't even imagine what my life would be like w/out it. It affects my mood and subsequently my actions after it. *A lot of quietness, withdrawing...contemplative nature...just thinking about how it feels or dealing with the after effects of it. Being quiet. .. thinking about it, like a bad taste in my mouth that takes a while to fade and comes back way too easily and fast.

This is just really hard to deal with. I feel like I could use some support and advice in dealing with it all. Don't see how I could make it without it.

Thanks for your support and help. : )

olympiadis
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2014, 9:43 pm

Whathappened wrote:
Does anyone else have run ins with anxiety and just weird, somewhat alarming symptoms of anxiety, like random thoughts that change your mood, intrusive horrible cyclic thoughts that loop you in (those are by FAR the worst), strange altered states of reality/perception... and just a general feeling of apprehension when its all over - like hanging over you like a cloud in the background all the time?

Yes.
I think it's a natural fight or flight response that originates from activity inside the brain.
I think what the issue is, is more that the brain cannot effectively use the proper chemicals to temper these kinds of responses. It's more of a one-way valve. For some reason the proper chemical either isn't produced or just can't be utilized.
I have had meds help for stretches of 30 to 90 days before the good effects diminish and bad effects become more pronounced, and then there is usually a withdrawal period that is uncomfortable as well.