Page 1 of 6 [ 89 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

BeggingTurtle
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2014, 10:53 pm

Just visited Canada to see relatives. I also liked how they use the metric system!

DeepHour
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2014, 11:47 pm

BeggingTurtle wrote:
Just visited Canada to see relatives. I also liked how they use the metric system!

And how do they use it?

:lol:

Nights_Like_These
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2014, 12:25 am

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0udJc_iMlAU[/youtube]

--Aldous Huxley

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2014, 1:25 am

^That Metric makes me immensely nostalgic.
I wish it was 2012 again.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6F_Y0qNjfhI[/youtube]

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.

BeggingTurtle
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2014, 10:11 pm

*facepalm

Never got into pop music, doubt I ever will.

jk1
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2014, 1:50 am

This thread seems to have already been derailed. Or maybe the OP didn't really intend to talk about Canada any way.

I just wanted to say I'd love to visit Canada in the future. I believe it's very cold in winter there. So I'd go there in summer. Most people here on WP only say nice things about Canada. I don't see Canadian people on WP complain about their country.

I've met a few Canadian people IRL and they speak with a very nice accent.

I didn't know they used the metric system there. I thought they would follow the USA ways in most things.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2014, 4:39 pm

I too would like to visit Canada someday. However, what are areas of Canada that visitors to Canada should consider avoiding?

rapidroy
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2014, 10:56 pm

I thought it was the Americans that had the accents! Our country is isn't that much to be excited about, its just hard to hear a lot of complaints from us since our population is so small. No need to avoid anything, Rob Ford will be gone in a few months.

RedStar98
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

02 Sep 2014, 11:22 am

My boyfriend is Canadian and its possible after university I might be moving over there with him :) its a great country

katiesBoyfriend
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

Location: Western spiral arm of the Milky Way galaxy, out near the outskirts of the Laniakea supercluster

02 Sep 2014, 12:05 pm

AnonymousAnonymous wrote:
I too would like to visit Canada someday. However, what are areas of Canada that visitors to Canada should consider avoiding?

It depends what sort of climate and geography you prefer as Canada has quite a variety of both.

katiesBoyfriend
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

Location: Western spiral arm of the Milky Way galaxy, out near the outskirts of the Laniakea supercluster

02 Sep 2014, 12:09 pm

jk1 wrote:
This thread seems to have already been derailed. Or maybe the OP didn't really intend to talk about Canada any way.

I just wanted to say I'd love to visit Canada in the future. I believe it's very cold in winter there. So I'd go there in summer. Most people here on WP only say nice things about Canada. I don't see Canadian people on WP complain about their country.

I've met a few Canadian people IRL and they speak with a very nice accent.

I didn't know they used the metric system there. I thought they would follow the USA ways in most things.

You ain't lived 'til you've gone through at least one Canadian prairie winter! And it's even colder when you go, as we say here, north of 60.

On the other hand, the Vancouver region has a mild maritime climate. A snowfall there is considered a major event worthy of mention in the national news.

We've been using the metric/SI system since 1975.

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2014, 9:06 pm

DeepHour wrote:
BeggingTurtle wrote:

And how do they use it?

:lol:

Canada is ostensibly a Metric country, but we still use Imperial units for TONS of different things. Our road signs are in kilometres, and our gas is sold in litres, but our building codes are all done in Imperial, we still use Imperial units in medicine, most of our tools are based around Imperial units, Imperial units are still widely used in cooking, and I believe most of our vehicles are still based around Imperial measurements as well. The Metric system may be what they teach us in school, but the Imperial system is what people actually use in real life for most things. I hear more people talk about pounds, inches, and feet, than kilograms, centimetres, and metres, although I also hear more people refer to kilometres than miles, and litres than gallons. I guess if it has to do with driving, than people are more likely to adapt.

Anyway, Canada is a pretty cool place, and things can be quite different depending on which part of the country you're in. I've lived in Alberta all my life, and I've been to BC a few times, but I've only seen a fraction of what Canada has to offer. I still need to see Saskatchewan, Manitoba, Ontario, Quebec, the Maritimes, and the Territories as well.

rapidroy
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2014, 11:38 pm

Most automotive applications use metric nuts and bolts because of the increasing use of Asian parts although there are some carry over mixed in such as the 114.3mm bolt pattern(converts to 4 3/4"), most bolts use sizes that can be mixed too as far as tools are concerned and I have found that some local mechanics actually get confused and ram standard thread bolts into metric nuts because the conversion type is often quite close. What system is used depends on where its designed, what its designed to work with and where its to be sold. I had one older wood shop teacher tell us to only use metric and a younger one who told us to use imperial so its really messed up and all because the Americans won't join the rest of the world.

Here is another Canadian exclusive, the Robertson(square) screw and driver!

I'd love to see Western Canada at some point, maybe hit Washington state while I'm at it.

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2014, 2:03 am

rapidroy wrote:
Most automotive applications use metric nuts and bolts because of the increasing use of Asian parts although there are some carry over mixed in such as the 114.3mm bolt pattern(converts to 4 3/4"), most bolts use sizes that can be mixed too as far as tools are concerned and I have found that some local mechanics actually get confused and ram standard thread bolts into metric nuts because the conversion type is often quite close. What system is used depends on where its designed, what its designed to work with and where its to be sold. I had one older wood shop teacher tell us to only use metric and a younger one who told us to use imperial so its really messed up and all because the Americans won't join the rest of the world.

I stand corrected then. I'm not a car guy, and most of my (very limited) knowledge of vehicles comes from watching my friends work on old trucks.

Quote:
Here is another Canadian exclusive, the Robertson(square) screw and driver!

I'd love to see Western Canada at some point, maybe hit Washington state while I'm at it.

A lot of people talk about how great Robertson screws are, the truth is I find they strip quite easily, especially if the screwdriver you're using isn't quite the right size. I'm a fan of flathead screws, because they're simple and nearly impossible to strip. Philips heads are the ones I work with the most, because they're what you see in computers, though they're far from being my favorite. Torx screws would be really nice if they were more common, and I think they would fulfill the role Philips and Robertson screws normally occupy quite well.

There is a lot of beautiful scenery out here, especially when you go farther west around the Rocky Mountains and into BC. The badlands of southern Alberta are really nice too.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2014, 12:19 am

all things considered, i'd rather be a canadian.

MarthaCannary
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

04 Sep 2014, 2:39 am

I joked with a friend two weeks ago about having only two seasons where we live, Winter and Summer.

Jokes on me, frost warnings for Alberta. Already... F.M.L.

Another 9 months of Northern Alberta Winter on it's way.

I need to find a set of winter steelies to put my studded tires on.. I refuse to pay someone to change them again.

Oh! Almost forgot about the 900kg of sandbags, the rack to hold them and the tarp to wrap them all in... That all has to go in the back of the big van, otherwise it does not move so well on the ice, in the snow, up hills.... Need the weight over the rear wheels.

You do not know the joy of winter until you have to go somewhere but the vehicle somehow either never got plugged in or the famous "it must have came unplugged" so it has to sit for a week till it is thawed enough to start.

Or when it gets cold enough that metal things start breaking under normal use.

You know what, Osoyoos during the winter is starting to sound good. I am thinking even Australia might be a nice change of pace for the winter... Anything is better than another 9 months of -35C to -50C, 100kph winds and whiteouts.

--->Weather Network Edmonton Coldest Day <---