Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

ScottF
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2014, 12:15 am

Three weeks ago, I started a new job at a dealership collision center. And I love it. The story to this is, I accidentally broke the rocker panel on my Ford Probe GT( mint condition BTW) and while I was waiting for the repair estimate I asked for an application. 2 weeks later I was starting work. They are aware of my Asperger's and are fine with it. I work as the paint prepper in the paint department, and I LOVE the work. Basically I am the one that makes sure the body work is clean and taped off after it comes in from the bodyshop and the teardown/repair process. I scuff parts with red Scotch-Brite and then if it needs priming, I mix up the primer and spray it on the damaged area, I then apply carbon powder which is a guide-coat so when you sand the primer you sand the guide off and you know it's smooth. after that, I sand the rest of the area with 800-1000 grit on the DA sander and then blow/wipe it off. then I tape off the area to be painted and it is then sent to the paint booth. The great thing about this job, is, I am mostly working on my own 90% of the time and I pretty much get to listen to my headphones all day. I get to come in any time between 6 and 8 AM and take an hour lunch. Usually I head out at 4:30 to 5PM. The best thing is most of the people who I interact with are co-workers, and the painters who are my direct co-workers love my work and we get along great! The best thing is, I don't have to deal with the public or customers at all...I pretty much rule the prep area and get to tell people where to put the cars when they come over and stuff like that. There have been times already where the paint supervisor has actually turned the lights off at the end of the day when I was still working...

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2014, 5:00 am

While it is realistic to be negative this is a reminder that not every interaction with the NT world will end badly. One with some luck it is possible to end up in the right situation with the right people. Smaller companies like this this increases your chances.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

namaste
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2014, 8:27 am

3 weeks is a short time to form any conclusion
bullying usually starts after a month or so
and usually bullying, ostracisation leads to other problems.

mattschwartz01
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

31 Aug 2014, 8:38 am

You are still in the honeymoon phase of the job. I'm glad you like it so far but try to start looking at the job through a more objective eye. I'm not one of those believers in a perfect job as some days will be better than others. You may want to come up with a plan for a bad day. There will come a time when you will make a mistake: it's a very human tendency. Sometimes, in the automotive world, mistakes aren't well tolerated. You may get yelled at or bullied. The key is to have a plan so that your cage doesn't become as rattled. Easier said than done.

AardvarkGoodSwimmer
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2014, 10:27 pm

Congrats on your new job! :D

And by all means, roll with a good thing. And you might want to be open to adding other positives to your life. For example, if you've thought about learning guitar, now might be a good time.

And if you make a mistake, sure we're all human, maybe have something prepared like, You know I try to do a good job, I know I messed up, and I will try my best to learn from it. Two or three sentences. Like in art, less is more. Try to at least initially ignore what someone else says in anger and whatever recovery they make, no matter how partial, try to graciously accept it.

And I like the analogy of the veteran, seasoned baseball pitcher who can win with his A game, but then if he's a little bit tired or a little bit off, knows how to win with his B game.

MatchingBlues
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

01 Sep 2014, 12:24 am

mattschwartz01 wrote:
You are still in the honeymoon phase of the job. I'm glad you like it so far but try to start looking at the job through a more objective eye. I'm not one of those believers in a perfect job as some days will be better than others. You may want to come up with a plan for a bad day. There will come a time when you will make a mistake: it's a very human tendency. Sometimes, in the automotive world, mistakes aren't well tolerated. You may get yelled at or bullied. The key is to have a plan so that your cage doesn't become as rattled. Easier said than done.

You're so great at giving work-related advice...

yellowtamarin
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2014, 1:39 am

I think this sounds fantastic. Why focus on the negatives when everything is going so well? You'd be more likely to encounter them if you are thinking about them. Congrats and enjoy!! :D

Also I love the way you landed it. Niiiice :)

ScottF
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2015, 8:22 pm

Long overdue update, I am still employed and still enjoying the job. It's had its ups and down in the last 14 months, but I have been getting better and the painters are quite happy with my work. In fact, I have also become good friends with two of the body techs and was invited to a top fuel drag race last weekend by one of the techs. I will most likely be getting a raise soon! In addition, I was also told that if the parts manager continues with his performance, I would be considered for that position as well...And as it turns out, the HR lady, Donna has a grandson with Asperger's as well...I will admit that I am not looking forward to winter though, I don't do cold very well and we get very busy and that means longer hours...Overall however, I am still enjoying the work...

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2015, 10:14 am

Congratulations on finding a job you like!

glebel
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2015, 10:40 am

This is yet another example of how we are employable and probably better equipped for certain jobs. Good on you!

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2015, 10:47 am

Yes, it is quite likely that the quality of the prepping you do is the best they have seen--you will spend the time necessary to do the job right and not cut corners. Most Aspies like to do things precisely the same way--which is great in your job. And, as any painter knows, the quality of the paint job depends on the guy doing the prepping--which means they can't do their job right if you don't do yours.

Dantac
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2015, 11:40 am

ScottF wrote:
The best thing is, I don't have to deal with the public or customers at all...

That is indeed a dream job. Congrats!

seaweed
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2015, 3:09 pm

hey, that's awesome! it's also super awesome that it's not a job where you are isolated from other people. think when it comes to jobs, there is no job which doesn't have its issues, so if you find a great job then it's worth it to deal with any minor drawbacks. idk why some ppl were being so negative!

I hope to go into a similar technical field and find a job like yours, so this is kinda *inspirational* for me as lame as that sounds. I love the way you just asked for an application on the spot and then ended up getting the job. it seems like the most normal transaction, but that sort of thing can be really difficult for peeps on the spectrum.

ScottF
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2015, 5:36 pm

Not really isolated from other people, but, I spend the majority of my day working by myself unless my supervisor is showing me how to do something or I have to go to the body shop side...The paint shop can be hectic since we see every car, so some days we have the estimators and body techs coming through, mostly they are there to see the painters, but other than that, I usually just have my earbuds in listening to heavy metal all day, I also get an hour for lunch which is nice as somedays, I like to get as much done before lunch and take a late one, that way I only have like, 2 hours before it's time to go home LOL...Plus I get along with every one I work with to varying degrees, if you can take harsh joking it's pretty easy. I have learned the differences though, thanks to my counselor I have been seeing. What is interesting, is not even 9 years ago, I would have lasted MAYBE 6 months in a job like this. After working pizza delivery for almost 13 years and having the last two be absolutely ASD hell, I have been doing everything I can to keep this job! Infact, the body shop manager is working with my counselor on strategies to keep me employed and even has him on speed dial... Today was good as my supervisor, (also named Scott, LOL) has started teaching me how to paint!