Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

AmalieAmalieAmalie
Butterfly
Butterfly

31 Aug 2014, 10:35 am

When I watch documentaries about autism I start getting anxious about other peoples look on autism. For instance when they say "autistic people don't get jokes.", this is true for me in some cases but in most cases it's not. My dad would make allot of jokes to me and my brother and we would get them, we would mostly think allot about them and discuss them until we came to a conclusion and we've figured out my dads jokes several times and started to get the pattern and what clues to look for..
He makes racist jokes some times but he's not racist and we get that.
I mean... it's possible to get jokes if you really think about them and usually people at home make jokes all the time... if you're usually at a place where jokes are made occasionally you must start to crack them eventually, right?
I'm just anxious that many times I get the jokes... and therefore I get scared that I don't have autism but I have all the other symptoms but that if I get the jokes I am not autistic, nor is my brother....
But normally when other people that aren't my close friend or father makes jokes I get really anxious because I don't get them at first or I'm not able to express that I get them or don't... everything just becomes so awkward because I don't understand when people are finished with the joke or not so I usually ask them to continue and then they tell me that no, that's the joke and then I don't get it, I feel so ashamed...

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2014, 11:28 am

I don't get jokes lot of the times unless it's my sense of humor. I don't get racism jokes only because I don't know black history well and the stereotypes on blacks so therefore those jokes will fly over my head and I won't get the joke. Only joke I ever got was the one someone told here years back around 2009 about the White House being called the Black House now because it was literal and I knew of our new president and I hear that is a racist joke. I usually get blonde jokes because it's word play and blonde are literal and I am aware of how dumb they are in the jokes. I used to tell them all the time and would always read them on the internet. I even thought about dying my hair blonde but never had because I am not sure I will look good with that color. Sometimes I think someone is serious and then I realize it was a joke. Sometimes their laugh will give it away.

I have noticed that sometimes NTs will miss the joke even though it's so obvious it was a joke. It's like we have switched places.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

Dr_Cheeba
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

31 Aug 2014, 4:00 pm

I only get jokes from people I am around frequently... Sometimes I don't always get the joke, or process it fast enough, but I'll laugh when I see a hint from them. Otherwise I almost always resort to "Are you serious?" and normally the person will laugh or give you a hint if it's a joke.

MatchingBlues
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

31 Aug 2014, 5:00 pm

AmalieAmalieAmalie wrote:
When I watch documentaries about autism I start getting anxious about other peoples look on autism. For instance when they say "autistic people don't get jokes.", this is true for me in some cases but in most cases it's not. My dad would make allot of jokes to me and my brother and we would get them, we would mostly think allot about them and discuss them until we came to a conclusion and we've figured out my dads jokes several times and started to get the pattern and what clues to look for..

He makes racist jokes some times but he's not racist and we get that.

Don't worry about it too much. It irritates me too when I watch documentaries or TV specials and they say things about people with bipolar disorder being extremely hypersexual and likely alcoholics. It was odd explaining to close friends that I don't like clubbing, prefer long term relationships, and don't care much for drinking to the excess. My sense of humor is awkward. I like comedic material that is vulgar. I like South Park-esque kind of stuff. Most other things people laugh at I really don't get. Like, I was at a wedding and there was a photo slide show and people were laughing at things that I didn't really think were funny. It was just baby pictures...

Chrome_Oxide_Green
Butterfly
Butterfly

01 Sep 2014, 2:46 pm

In my family, people made a lot of jokes. My little brother (also autistic) memorized entire joke books, one of which was about four hundred pages long.
I get puns, as long as the words involved are the sort that can be found in the dictionary; I can figure out slang, but it takes me a long time, so my knowledge of it tends to be a bit outdated.
Sometimes I can figure out ironic jokes.
I am also very good at catching jokes involving my special interests, namely mathematics and computers.
Unfortuately, most of the jokes that I find absolutely hilarious go right over most NTs' heads. And many autistics' too.

SteelMaiden
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2014, 3:12 pm

I only understand jokes about science.

russiank12
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

01 Sep 2014, 4:43 pm

I understand jokes pretty well if I know the person and their type of jokes. If I don't then I watch their face after they say something 'weird.' If they smile, then it's a joke. Sadly, this doesn't always work.
I love puns and English humour and I don't see the point of raunchy American humour like American Pie (1999) or Identity Thief (2013). It just seems stupid. I do like some 'stupid' things like Mr. Bean because it doesn't involve many words and the jokes are so easy to see.

Scanner
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

01 Sep 2014, 8:17 pm

SteelMaiden wrote:
I only understand jokes about science.

I don't "only" understand jokes about science, but I do find them incredibly funny sometimes. I have tried to explain why a joke was funny before, but even with the explanation they never found it funny. Meanwhile I was cracking up.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2014, 3:55 pm

It depends. Some stuff I get and other stuff I don't.

wavecannon
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

02 Sep 2014, 5:35 pm

I've always been keen on jokes and comedy comprises most of my TV viewing, and most of the non-comedies I watch I do find the odd unintentional humour in that I enjoy. I tell jokes and like to hear them, from one-liners to rambling stories to physical humour, even the drier and more ironic humour. I brought myself up on joke books and funny cartoons. I'm too slow on the uptake and the response for playful conversation though and general light banter. (A soiled word, but I don't include cutting banter in that.) Humour with a stranger is tough. Racist jokes are a no from me though, as even from "not racists" I feel they underlie some prejudice, even if it's relatively light.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2014, 12:55 am

i get jokes if they are bald, ribald, or punny somehow.