I completely ruined my SSDI application

Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

beneficii
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2014, 12:42 pm

I failed to put issues of dental hygiene down and distinguish clearly good days and bad days. I've tried calling to clarify that information, but I am afraid they will be ruthless and will see all attempts at clarification as lying and ruin my case.

I wonder if I should just wait for the denial, not appeal and let the 60 days run out, and then apply again anew, because of how much I screwed up.

I could not find any help on filling out the forms. All lawyers I spoke to said I need to ask Social Security for help.

kirayng
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2014, 1:28 pm

DO you have a case worker assigned to you? That would be the person to call up to make corrections, just explain that because of your medical issues you have difficulty filling out forms and they will have to provide you with someone to help. This person can help get you time to clarify.

It's sad that people just assume the worst, I hope you are able to sort things out without worrying too much. :) :) Best to you.

beneficii
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2014, 2:14 pm

kirayng wrote:
DO you have a case worker assigned to you? That would be the person to call up to make corrections, just explain that because of your medical issues you have difficulty filling out forms and they will have to provide you with someone to help. This person can help get you time to clarify.

It's sad that people just assume the worst, I hope you are able to sort things out without worrying too much. :) :) Best to you.

I did call the disability examiner, who I think is the "case worker," to provide more information. Unfortunately, it's Labor Day weekend, meaning I get to wait until Tuesday to get any answers.

InTheDeepEnd
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

31 Aug 2014, 4:09 pm

The disability caseworker is not the person who makes the decision as to your approval/denial. I know a disability caseworker from before he had that job and if he is like most, they actually do want people who need it to get disability. They also see people who clearly don't need it, of course, but they know those people won't get it so they aren't going to do anything to try to hurt them. There are doctors who make the decisions about medical necessity, and they review medical records. They don't strictly rely on the application. Now, if someone claims to have severe anxiety that makes them unable to work but says on their application that they are active in their church and Friday night square-dancing, that is going to be a red flag that the person's anxiety is not that bad. The caseworker will help you get things filled out right and answer your questions. That person doesn't have a dog in the fight, to use that horrible expression, they get paid the same whether you're approved or not.

beneficii
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2014, 6:05 pm

InTheDeepEnd wrote:
The disability caseworker is not the person who makes the decision as to your approval/denial. I know a disability caseworker from before he had that job and if he is like most, they actually do want people who need it to get disability. They also see people who clearly don't need it, of course, but they know those people won't get it so they aren't going to do anything to try to hurt them. There are doctors who make the decisions about medical necessity, and they review medical records. They don't strictly rely on the application. Now, if someone claims to have severe anxiety that makes them unable to work but says on their application that they are active in their church and Friday night square-dancing, that is going to be a red flag that the person's anxiety is not that bad. The caseworker will help you get things filled out right and answer your questions. That person doesn't have a dog in the fight, to use that horrible expression, they get paid the same whether you're approved or not.

The person who sent me the packets was the disability examiner, the one who makes the determination along with a physician of whether I am disabled:

http://www.disabilitysecrets.com/page7-21.html

Now, there is someone at the local office who sent me the Work Ability Form, so perhaps I can get assistance from them.

kirayng
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2014, 6:52 pm

You can go to your local health and human services office of your county and request an appointment with your caseworker since you have filed for disability. That person will help you with your forms making sure they're correct and also to help you if you need to add any more evidence. All they want is enough proof to approve you. They will help you give it to them. Best to you let us know how it goes Tuesday.

beneficii
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2014, 7:57 pm

kirayng wrote:
You can go to your local health and human services office of your county and request an appointment with your caseworker since you have filed for disability. That person will help you with your forms making sure they're correct and also to help you if you need to add any more evidence. All they want is enough proof to approve you. They will help you give it to them. Best to you let us know how it goes Tuesday.

I am already scheduled for September 22 at 10:15 AM.

I just called my team lead and she says I am capable of following complex verbal instructions as observed by her. This contradicts what I put down on the Function Report - Adult. I legitimately thought I had problems following complex verbal instructions, but apparently I do not according to people who have worked with me.

In that case, I wonder if I can amend the Function Report - Adult to reflect that I can follow complex verbal instructions. They are sure to call my employer to ask that question.

Or I wonder if I just lost all credibility with my disability examiner before the letter even reaches her, resulting in denial.

Nevertheless, coming forth with that information as quickly as possible might help improve my credibility because I won't stand for inaccurate information on my report.

What do you guys say?

beneficii
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2014, 9:40 pm

This might be salvageable. For example, when I was in Air Force Basic 11 years ago, we were instructed to mark our last name and the last 4 of our Social on our undergarments and given very specific, detailed verbal instructions to do so that had to be followed by the letter. I screwed that up and marked my undergarments incorrectly, resulting in repeatedly failing inspection. Also, my dad demands that I write down his advice because of my tendency to forget important parts of it and substitute my own thoughts for what he said.

I may have no witnesses (other than perhaps my dad) to back me up, but at least I have specific examples I can give.

I can probably understand the verbal instructions at my current job (from which I'm on disability) better because I can see the reasoning behind them. My team lead and supervisor are not arbitrary at all and usually make well-informed decisions, where I can understand the reasoning.

This might explain the discrepancy and it's something to talk over with my psychologist and a lawyer if I'm initially denied.

beneficii
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2014, 10:04 pm

I tried an oral instructions test to see how well I'd do, and I didn't do very well. It's here:

http://www.studyzone.org/testprep/ela4/ ... aldirp.cfm

I drew the first circle in the center of the paper rather than the bottom middle, I missed drawing one of the circles, and I missed drawing the squares and circles: instead drawing 5 triangles.

vickygleitz
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2014, 10:20 pm

after you get denied, DO appeal! You don't want to start over again because benefits are retroactive from when you apply. There are tons of sites online telling how to win your case. Please study these because how you present your case is as important as how disabled you are. My first husband received his denial for SSDI several weeks after his death because it had been determined he was too healthy.

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

01 Sep 2014, 12:37 am

Your attorney (when you get one) should be able to advise you on the function report.

When I filled out my function report, I had no help. I tried to find advice online and found someone who gave rather explicit advice in pdfs, but when I sent her a request for the files, she didn't get back to me for three months.

beneficii
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2014, 12:39 am

vickygleitz wrote:
after you get denied, DO appeal! You don't want to start over again because benefits are retroactive from when you apply. There are tons of sites online telling how to win your case. Please study these because how you present your case is as important as how disabled you are. My first husband received his denial for SSDI several weeks after his death because it had been determined he was too healthy.

Thanks. If I go on long-term disability, however, I am likely to get assistance in getting on SSDI (so the disability insurance company can save money). My therapist will submit the form for short-term/long-term disability.

Also, good news. My supervisor says he can't say whether I can follow complex verbal instructions because everything is written down (and the instructions are simple anyway). My supervisor would be the one to get the call from SSA if they contacted them;