Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ] 

Einschmidt
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

31 Aug 2014, 7:33 pm

Where would you go? I would most want to go see the dinosaurs. If you could change things I would try to stop 9/11 since not only was it really bad in it's own right but we wouldnt have had the wars and other stuff if it never happened

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2014, 7:46 pm

If I could time travel I would go back to ancient Alexandria before the burned down the Great Library, and preserve each of its books on thumb drives for the scholars of today.

katiesBoyfriend
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

Location: Western spiral arm of the Milky Way galaxy, out near the outskirts of the Laniakea supercluster

31 Aug 2014, 8:40 pm

Venice during the late Middle Ages and early Renaissance, perhaps the intellectual capital of the world during that era. Look who was there during that period: the Polos, Galileo, Antonio Vivaldi, and Leonardo da Vinci.

That's quite a collection of former residents.

GregCav
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2014, 10:12 pm

I think I'd find the Late Triasic Period the most fascinating. Just before the larger dinosaours came about.

Mind you, I would love to explore the Jurassic Period too, if it could be done safely.

Narrator
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2014, 12:53 am

I would travel back to 2 places:

First I would travel back and visit my younger self twice. Once when I was about 16 (1973), to tell me some things I didn't know about myself and my potential. Then a second time when I was about 25 (1982), to reaffirm those things, with a couple of watchouts, and to give myself some financial tips.

Then I would travel back to parts of the early 20th century and get involved with some of the new technologies of the era and also to spend time with Karl Jung.

And a blank look rarely means a blank mind.

DentArthurDent
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2014, 6:33 am

Einschmidt wrote:
Where would you go? I would most want to go see the dinosaurs. If you could change things I would try to stop 9/11 since not only was it really bad in it's own right but we wouldnt have had the wars and other stuff if it never happened

You cant travel back in time so why bother thinking about it, as far as we know causality can never be violated. However I would ask you to look to the future. To do this you will need to understand the past, not in the simplistic terms of the mass media but in real terms. I ask you this: do you really think 9-11 was an incident that was isolated from external causes? I ask this because your post suggests it. This is what I mean by understanding the past, 9-11 was nothing more than a symptom of much deeper issues which go back decades.

So yes in a way you can time travel, but not in the way you suggest. Travel back in time to find as best you can "the truth" behind contemporary events. This, I believe is the only way Humanity and therefore life as we know it, can have a sustainable and peaceful future.

"Religion is the impotence of the human mind to deal with occurrences it cannot understand" Karl Marx

TallyMan
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2014, 6:44 am

I'd be interested to go forward in time. What would the world/humans/life be like in 1000 years time? I'm sure it will be totally beyond anything we can imagine. What about a million years time? If technology continues to expand exponentially with time, then 1 million years hence would be about as alien as we could contemplate - I'd go as far as to say that life/the world in 1 million years time will be utterly inconceivable by any stretch of imagination.

Narrator
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2014, 7:07 am

TallyMan wrote:
I'd go as far as to say that life/the world in 1 million years time will be utterly inconceivable by any stretch of imagination.

Enter the Eloi and the Morlocks

And a blank look rarely means a blank mind.

TallyMan
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2014, 7:30 am

Narrator wrote:
TallyMan wrote:
I'd go as far as to say that life/the world in 1 million years time will be utterly inconceivable by any stretch of imagination.

I think even H. G. Wells could only conceive into the relatively close future. In 1 million years, if there is anything left of the human race, we'll all likely be cybernetic organisms with so many implants there would be barely anything human left; or we'll just be brains in jars spending our lives in virtual reality while the robots and nanites keep the world going. Though in a million years AI would probably have wiped us from the face of the planet anyway - or keep a few of us in human zoos for their robotic siblings to peer at.

CosmicRuss
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2014, 7:57 am

"The good thing about lending someone your time machine is that you basically get it back immediately." Comedian Chris Coltrane

GiantKitten
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

01 Sep 2014, 8:16 am

Of course I would need a TARDIS first, but once I got that I would travel to the 1920's the time before skirts haven't gotten too short yet 8O :D :lol: :lol: :roll:

Stannis
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2014, 9:03 am

I'd travel around solving mysteries, tracking down the origins of out of place artefacts and whatnot.

TallyMan
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2014, 10:02 am

Stannis wrote:
I'd travel around solving mysteries, tracking down the origins of out of place artefacts and whatnot.

It would be more fun to leave a camcorder at the site of Jesus' tomb or a laser level inside a pyramid. :P

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2014, 7:26 am

Einschmidt wrote:

I'd go back in time and warn myself to hold off on marrying the woman I'm married to for a few years and see for what she is fired. Wait a while, stay engaged, work at the job I do now and hopefully meet the same person I can actually respect and not have to get divorced in order to marry someone worth marrying rather than a lazy bum who might be something far worse than lazy. IDK, at least hold off on getting married for a few years, sex is gross and courtship is the more fun part of the relationship anyway.

Brainfre3ze_93
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2014, 8:13 am

GiantKitten wrote:
Of course I would need a TARDIS first, but once I got that I would travel to the 1920's the time before skirts haven't gotten too short yet 8O :D :lol: :lol: :roll:

Image <-1950's poodle skirt

^ 1920's flapper girl

You sure about that? :)

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2014, 11:02 am

TallyMan wrote:
Narrator wrote:
TallyMan wrote:

I think even H. G. Wells could only conceive into the relatively close future. In 1 million years, if there is anything left of the human race, we'll all likely be cybernetic organisms with so many implants there would be barely anything human left; or we'll just be brains in jars spending our lives in virtual reality while the robots and nanites keep the world going. Though in a million years AI would probably have wiped us from the face of the planet anyway - or keep a few of us in human zoos for their robotic siblings to peer at.

Or heads in jars!! I can't wait!