Non campaign rpg leader handle on things

Page 1 of 1 [ 1 post ] 

Summer_Twilight
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2014, 1:06 pm

Over the course of the weekend I had been at a geek convention with lots of genres and the like. One of those areas include non roll playing table top campaigns. Although I don't normally play games like that, I am always curious about the types games and people play and how they are strategized.

I ran into some gamers last night by the pool area near the gaming location and got into a a conversation about their game while they were on break. So I asked if I could play but I would have had to register in advance and buy a ticket. I also wondered if I could watch for a while and the players said sure. So I went.

Some time later I met the game master and he was polite enough and wondered who I was. I explained that I was interested in watching for a little while. Of course he let me watch for a while until two of the players left for a panel. It was at that point that I was pulled to the side by the story-teller. He made it very clear to me that a few of the players did not want me there watching them. He also stated that he had asked them if I was part of the group and they had told him no. I had no idea that they had even spoken. This led to him asking me to leave in a polite yet callous manner while admitting that he was generous enough to allow me to see how a battle was played out. Then I said "Ok bye" and left. Meanwhile he did not offer to give me any information about how I could learn more about the game or anything. It was so bad that I left in tears.

So for those of us who are outsiders to that kind of situation is there anything that I can say in polite defense and assertion?