Page 1 of 3 [ 34 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

DevilInPgh
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

07 Sep 2014, 11:21 am

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the- ... he-masses/

Quote:
And on Asexuality.org and WrongPlanet.net ? forums for people who are asexual and have autism, respectively ? John has detailed his struggle with ?undiagnosed Asperger?s? and his gradual realization that he wasn?t ?attracted to anyone.?

No, John, you're not an Aspie. You're a sociopath. At least the Washington Post had the decency to say "undiagnosed", although they could have questioned the diagnosis a bit more.

K_Kelly
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2014, 11:31 am

Doesn't this bad press remind anyone of Jim Crow laws?

God help us all!

BirdInFlight
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2014, 11:54 am

Sheesh, he posts on here? Execrable individual. I agree he's more sociopath if he's anything.

AspieUtah
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2014, 11:54 am

The converse of the adage "[y]e shall know them by their [good] fruits" is sometimes helpful in that we can judge someone by their opponents (chosen or otherwise). In this case, I believe that Johnsmcjohn might have simply been honest in disclosing that he is a Wrong Planet user and intended no implication between that fact and his notorious actions; or that he did intend some implication. I don't know. With more than 30 years working in politics, I learned quickly to paraphrase Bambi's Thumper wisdom that "if you can't say something nice [in a news statement about others], don't say nothing at all." In other words, don't risk the reputations of others. At the very least, they have no float in the parade and didn't deserve it, and at worst, they don't agree with you."

Diagnosed in 2015 with ASD Level 1 by the University of Utah Health Care Autism Spectrum Disorder Clinic using the ADOS-2 Module 4 assessment instrument [11/30] -- Screened in 2014 with ASD by using the University of Cambridge Autism Research Centre AQ (Adult) [43/50]; EQ-60 for adults [11/80]; FQ [43/135]; SQ (Adult) [130/150] self-reported screening inventories -- Assessed since 1978 with an estimated IQ [≈145] by several clinicians -- Contact on WrongPlanet.net by private message (PM)

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2014, 4:03 pm

The person being discussed stated his own thread about this
http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt266459.html

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

FireyInspiration
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2014, 4:14 pm

well this is the last thing we needed. One bad apples ruins the bunch, doesn't it

Moromillas
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

07 Sep 2014, 10:23 pm

Wow, and out comes all the ugly stigmas in the comments section. No empathy is there, just as predicted, wasn't expecting this forum to be described as full to the brim with "pick up artist" advice.

Oh, misogyny now. Who here hates women? Last time I checked I don't hate women, misogyny isn't normal for AS people, what rot.

BirdInFlight
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2014, 7:45 am

Sadly, it seems WP's "Love and Dating" forum has loomed large in that commenter's mind as he or she is correct about THAT section but then tars the whole WP site with the same brush.

Love and Dating IS sadly what that commenter says, but not the whole of WP, and certainly not true of all men on WP.

I find it very sad that ONE section of this site has now seemed to become someone's general impression, and a bad one, of all of WP.

Some of us contacted Alex about the tone allowed on L &D -- no reply.

Now we've got the general public finding L &D and thinking that's all Wrong Planet is like. Very worrying.

Charloz
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

08 Sep 2014, 8:18 am

K_Kelly wrote:
Doesn't this bad press remind anyone of Jim Crow laws?

God help us all!

Oh for God's sake now you're just overreacting. Could you please not make the racism comparison? :roll: It is, quite frankly, a bit insulting to me as a black man. If you're a white, middle class autistic person you still don't have it half as bad as my grandparents did.

There's no campaign or conspiracy going on against autistic people. There's a lot of stupid, naive and uninformed NT people out there who just can't be arsed to look into the facts and form an informed opinion of what autism is really like. But fact of the matter is; autistic people have done, and will always do bad things just like anyone else. They are not less likely to snap. We're all just human.

I hate it when people use the "No True Scotsman" fallacy with autistic people when they do something wrong. People are all too quick to claim the likes of Einstein to be autistic, but freak out when an (allegedly) autistic person does something wrong. That's not how it works, people! You take the good with the bad. For every sh***y autistic person there's one that is awesome. That's just the way things go.

Skullbug
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

08 Sep 2014, 9:26 am

The fact that the article doesn't reveal his name is too kind.

Last edited by Skullbug on 08 Sep 2014, 9:42 am, edited 2 times in total.

vermontsavant
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2014, 9:28 am

Well if this guy gets caught hacking,there might be some dudes in federal prison who'd love to help him define his sexuality for him

Charloz
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

08 Sep 2014, 9:29 am

vermontsavant wrote:
Well if this guy gets caught hacking,there might be some dudes in federal prison who'd love to help him define his sexuality for him

Oh a rape joke? Classy. :roll:

vermontsavant
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2014, 1:40 pm

Charloz wrote:
vermontsavant wrote:

Oh a rape joke? Classy. :roll:
just having fun,sorry if I offended you

Do you know how to tell if I'm telling a tasteless joke,

My lips are moving

Moromillas
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

08 Sep 2014, 9:14 pm

A polite letter to the editor, asking for an apology to the AS community and for the part on Asperger's to be removed from the article, explaining that it's a misrepresentation and that AS isn't indicative of this sort of behavior. Would that be helpful?

vermontsavant
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2014, 3:33 am

Moromillas wrote:
A polite letter to the editor, asking for an apology to the AS community and for the part on Asperger's to be removed from the article, explaining that it's a misrepresentation and that AS isn't indicative of this sort of behavior. Would that be helpful?
reports care about storie and editors care about headlines,the media never cares about the people there stories hurt

Moromillas
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

09 Sep 2014, 2:47 pm

vermontsavant wrote:
Moromillas wrote:
reports care about storie and editors care about headlines,the media never cares about the people there stories hurt

So basically they'll look at it and have a good chuckle to themselves.