College classes filled with snobs!

Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

goofygoobers
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2014, 6:58 pm

I started going to community college a couple weeks ago, and I like the classes, but not the students. I'm surrounded by snobby girls in all my classes! It drives me crazy because I thought I'd escape these sorts of people. You know, the girls who all dress the same and join in cliques without me. I want to learn, not deal with snobs! The weird thing is that people who aren't in my classes aren't like that at all! I guess I'm just ranting. Does anyone know how this feels?

Beau
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2014, 11:53 pm

What are they doing that's bothering you? Are they disrupting class? From your post alone, it seems like the root of your issue is feeling left out. I'm sure that if you took the time to get to know them, then your attitude towards them may change. Take the initiative to say hello to your classmates next time and take the time to learn more about them before you dismiss them.

muslimmetalhead
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2014, 7:11 pm

Beau wrote:
What are they doing that's bothering you? Are they disrupting class? From your post alone, it seems like the root of your issue is feeling left out. I'm sure that if you took the time to get to know them, then your attitude towards them may change. Take the initiative to say hello to your classmates next time and take the time to learn more about them before you dismiss them.

Yes, I have this problem too. I just don't blame it on the others. I just see them as "ambitious" and energetic.
In a good mood right now, just finished bio class for today.
feels good

also helps that I had been without food ( mostly), on Adderall, and in evening.

should probably exercise regularly again and do intermittent fasting....and take fish oil pills. Always works

Last edited by muslimmetalhead on 09 Sep 2014, 7:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MissDorkness
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2014, 7:11 pm

goofygoobers wrote:
I started going to community college a couple weeks ago, and I like the classes, but not the students. I'm surrounded by snobby girls in all my classes! It drives me crazy because I thought I'd escape these sorts of people. You know, the girls who all dress the same and join in cliques without me. I want to learn, not deal with snobs! The weird thing is that people who aren't in my classes aren't like that at all! I guess I'm just ranting. Does anyone know how this feels?

Are you doing gen ed classes or specific to the field you want to enter.

I saw those people in my general classes, but, not once I got into targeted subjects (my majors have been engineering and computer science though, so, there aren't enough girls to form a clique, lol).

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2014, 7:31 pm

True: when you take classes in your major, the students really want to learn.

Also: the students in these classes usually older, hence slightly more mature, usually.

goofygoobers
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2014, 2:19 pm

I've talked to them, but they act like they don't want me to be around them. They're the kind of people that wouldn't want me talking to them.

TheBicyclingGuitarist
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2014, 4:12 pm

I am used to social isolation and rejection. I went to college and university for more than twenty years and never did make any social connections there, so I am the wrong person to ask for advice on how to succeed socially in college lol.

However, if you focus on your schoolwork, get it down strong, then at least you will be learning something and working towards a degree of some type that hopefully will give you advantages in the future more than if you didn't have any type of degree.

And you will also radiate more self-confidence if you are doing okay in your classes, and that is attractive to people. Hang in there! You can do it! :study:

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2014, 5:35 pm

That's right. Learning things and progressing are far more important than being a social butterfly.

downbutnotout
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2014, 8:28 pm

Sometimes all you can do is just not become involved in someone else's drama.

I go to a technical school where everyone is friendly and stops to help others during lab time. I'm surrounded by men and middle-aged women, though.

BorgPrince
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

15 Sep 2014, 1:04 am

There will be tons of snobby people in general education and lower division classes. Don't mind them, they disappear quickly once you get into higher division courses.

Stoek
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2014, 11:53 am

It's been a continual problem, I'm in a program I love engineering mixed with business. But the amount of group work is intense.

Right now I'm choosing to do it alone, as I can't find a partner that actually gives a fluff about their gpa and willing to work with the class nut job. Worst is people are actively avoiding working with me, as bussiness type courses attract the worst of nt pecking orders.

What makes it's far more infuriating, is were competing for paid internships.

Being the Aspie, my lack of solid references and social interview skills puts me at a further disadvantage.

Intensely frustrating, I just wanna do my program, and not get a bottle of the barrel job.

I dropped out two years ago over the issue, and back again in school facing the same problems.

If your doing anything business related expect the tables to be slanted out of your favour.

It's not an easy thing to accept but it's a harsh reality of the adult world. Granted if you can get past something like this it will be for the better.

glen8848
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

25 Sep 2014, 10:35 am

reminds me of what happened to me on monday. i had a panic attack in arithmetic and the class started bursting out in laughter while i was at my weakest. it came mostly from the younger students. the older folk stayed out of it. i dont think this would have happened in my other classes. they would make fun of me but only when ive left. these idiots in my math class are just that. young idiots who cant add or subtract.