Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

Kalinda
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

07 Sep 2014, 9:10 pm

I'm so done. I am can't make an appointment with a psychiatrist at the practice I have been to for many years. I withdrew from Abilify and I am getting facial tics and I'm not sure what to do to combat symptoms. I don't know what I should avoid either, caffeine? Alcohol? I was on 30 mgs for eight years since I was fifteen and I'm now twenty-five. My brain is officially ruined and I am pretty sure I have Autism and not schizoaffective disorder or bipolar or adhd or schizophrenia or depression. I even tested positive for the Autism spectrum test in the therapists office there and she refused to acknowledge the test!! !! !! !!

I took the SAT when I was 12 and then got the highest PSAT test scores in HS after not knowing I could've went straight to college. I've been pressured all my life to do well in college, and yet my dad will not pay for an IVY league college even if I got into it. He makes more money than a lawyer. No one understands me. I'm not even sure if I like men. I have always been shy, confused, scared and alone in my own head. So they diagnose me with SCHIZOPHRENIA!! !! !! ! This has ruined my entire life and I'm not even allowed to voice that.

Instead, it's that I'm in denial. If this continues to go on then I won't.

"Almost always, the creative dedicated minority has made the world better." Martin Luther King, Jr.

BuyerBeware
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2014, 5:53 am

OK. No offense-- I love the place more than life itself-- but your first problem is that you are trying to get mental health care in the state of West Virginia. Been there, done that, got PTSD for trying.

I have literally seen mental health care in WV attempt to kill half a dozen people. ALWAYS with antipsychotics and making a bigger deal out of things than they are.

Look-- West Virginia doesn't get the best. West Virginia gets two things: the dregs, and bigoted social reformers that are there to "save the poor stupid hicks." No matter which one you get, you're not a person, they're not going to listen to you, and you're screwed.

THEN we can talk about disability fraud. Of which there is a lot, and most of it does not start with lazy people who want a free welfare check. Usually it starts with some damn lawyer who wants to line his pockets appealing denials. Look up "Eric Conn." He's not alone.

ESPECIALLY if you think what you really need help with is ASD (which most of the mental health monkeys in WV learned about from TV talk shows and Psychology Today, not real autistic people), the first thing you need to do is GET THE HELL OUT OF WEST VIRGINIA.

I don't know where you are at, but either figure it out on your own or GO. Especially if you're in the sticks between Clarksburg and Charleston (I have a friend who says there's a pretty good therapist in Saint Mary's, but I don't remember her name) or ANYWHERE in the southern part of the state.

Whatever you do, STAY AWAY FROM VALLEY MENTAL HEALTH AND THOSE IDIOTS AT THE UNITED SUMMIT CENTER IN CLARKSBURG. Those people aren't healthcare providers-- it's a meat market. Look at the people in the waiting room. Do they look at you and speak to you if you speak to them?? Or do they look at the floor and mumble?? I realize that this is West Virginia, and people don't talk to strangers, but they should at least look up and return a greeting. If they don't, you're in a bad place that isn't about achieving mental health and well-being at all. RUN!! !

If you can't GET OUT, go to either Charleston or Morgantown and get help from WVU Hospitals. They're not great-- I once had a therapist tell me that the best thing I could do was join a sorority and learn to act like those girls-- but it is at least a research and teaching facility and they are less likely to be hanging out in the Dark Ages.

If you have the money or the insurance, though, go to Pittsburgh or DC. Usually it's the other way around--- West Virginia is the place you run TO and the city is what you want to avoid. But not when it comes to mental health care.

I spent YEARS trying to get help in the Monongahela Valley. Then my hubby got a job that caused us to wash up in Pittsburgh. I got more help up here in six weeks than I got in six years in West Virginia.

BuyerBeware
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2014, 12:00 pm

I really can't stress this enough.

There is nothing you can do to change your dad (If he's like most of the fathers of most of the kids I grew up with, he's afraid "an education" will mean that you will move away and he will never see you again-- a justified fear, by the way; just read about what happened to my dad because I went to college and married an engineering student).

There is nothing you can do to change the idiots providing mental health care in our lovely state-- and having an ASD diagnosis instead of a schizophrenia diagnosis won't help you-- an ASD diagnosis got me eight months of Risperdal and told that I could not possibly be qualified to have a voice in decisions about my own health care).

GET OUT OF WEST VIRGINIA.

Even if it means living in a homeless shelter in Pittsburgh-- You will get more, and better, help up here than you will ever find in our beloved home. It's sad, but true.

BuyerBeware
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2014, 12:02 pm

PS-- You don't have to stay gone. Once you've got everything straightened out, and you are healthy and functioning, and you know who you are and where you're going, you can go home. Find a job, or get married, or move up a holler somewhere and tell the world to stick its head in an airshaft fan.

But YOU HAVE TO GET OUT IF YOU WANT TO FIND HELP.