Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

pawelk1986
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2014, 6:50 am

I am a big fan of drinking tea:-)

Sometimes I wonder whether I was British in the previous incarnation: D

I know that the custom of drinking tea originated in Asia, and the tea itself was popularized in Europe by the British.

I wonder whether the famous English custom of drinking tea at 5 PM is still alive in the UK?

BirdInFlight
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2014, 7:25 am

I was born and raised British, but I never cared for tea, and was always the odd one out when everyone else was making endless cups of tea. I don't get it. People seem to do it as an obsessive compulsive activity. I don't have the habit. I have a coffee in the morning with breakfast, and if I'm thirsty I have chilled water throughout the day.

"Tea at 5pm" is probably not the same kind of tea you're thinking of. The British drink the beverage "tea," but they also use the word "tea" as another name for their evening meal, or "dinner." You can hear someone ask "What are we having for tea?" and the reply is: "Shepherd's pie."

iceb
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2014, 7:48 am

Yes!
Of course I do I'm English :)
Now do I have Earl Grey or Assam...

http://youtu.be/eELH0ivexKA

Last edited by iceb on 08 Sep 2014, 9:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

ExoMuseum
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

08 Sep 2014, 8:52 am

I love tea, but I use a lot of sugar (:

AspieUtah
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2014, 9:50 am

I haven't even tasted tea since 1773.

Coffee. Decaf. Stirred, not shaken.

Diagnosed in 2015 with ASD Level 1 by the University of Utah Health Care Autism Spectrum Disorder Clinic using the ADOS-2 Module 4 assessment instrument [11/30] -- Screened in 2014 with ASD by using the University of Cambridge Autism Research Centre AQ (Adult) [43/50]; EQ-60 for adults [11/80]; FQ [43/135]; SQ (Adult) [130/150] self-reported screening inventories -- Assessed since 1978 with an estimated IQ [≈145] by several clinicians -- Contact on WrongPlanet.net by private message (PM)

MathematicalOwl
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

08 Sep 2014, 11:04 am

I LOVE TEA. ALL TEA. But not with sugar. Never with sugar.

My family always drinks tea at 4 PM. We also have biscuits (sometimes cake).

jk1
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2014, 12:17 pm

I'd consider myself more of a coffee drinker but I love tea, too.

Me, either. I don't like sugar in my tea (or coffee). I particularly like earl grey, oolong, chai (spice tea) and (Japanese) green tea among others.

I don't know much about health benefits of tea but I hear some types of tea are good for you.

eggheadjr
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2014, 2:08 pm

Yes - tea! No milk, no sugar, has to be caffeine fre - lot's of great teas to chose from.

llee
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

08 Sep 2014, 2:13 pm

British and drink tea, not because it's nice, I don't think it tastes nice at at all, but because it's something warm to keep in my hands and it's something to do, make tea.

Switched to green tea a while ago because I thought it would be better. And at the same time cut out sugar! Also cut out milk, but only with a certain brand of green. My usual local shop green taste sh***y without milk, they have a dry aftertaste.

WellThatsDantastic
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

08 Sep 2014, 4:55 pm

I like Asian teas and green tea with no sugar, just a teaspoon of pure honey. Mmmm....

I also occasionally drink Coffee or Tea, but I prefer green tea. I drink green tea a good few times a week. I used to drink it two or so times a day, every day, but now I only have it every other day or so.

I don't drink it for the sake of drinking tea, I just drink it because it's good for you, helps digestion, and I like the taste better than black tea! :P

Stargazer43
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2014, 5:09 pm

I LOVE TEA! I like in the U.S., and everyone here thinks I'm weird for drinking tea and not liking coffee.

Raleigh
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2014, 5:13 pm

Tea was very popular in Australia when I was a kid and I still enjoy it, but now most people I know seem to drink coffee.

0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2014, 5:36 pm

llee wrote:
Switched to green tea a while ago because I thought it would be better. And at the same time cut out sugar! Also cut out milk, but only with a certain brand of green. My usual local shop green taste sh***y without milk, they have a dry aftertaste.

Green tea is just processed slightly differently, they both have the anti-oxidants. There is no evidence that one is better then the other.

DeepHour
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2014, 1:44 pm

I drink about eight cups of tea per day, and a similar amount of coffee. Milk, but no sugar.

pawelk1986 wrote:
I wonder whether the famous English custom of drinking tea at 5 PM is still alive in the UK?

BirdInFlight wrote:
"Tea at 5pm" is probably not the same kind of tea you're thinking of. The British drink the beverage "tea," but they also use the word "tea" as another name for their evening meal, or "dinner." You can hear someone ask "What are we having for tea?" and the reply is: "Shepherd's pie."

I wonder whether the OP had in mind the English tradition of "Afternoon Tea", ie cake or biscuits accompanied by a pot of tea, usually taken between about 4pm and 5pm? Quite an old-fashioned, Upper Middle Class thing, but perhaps not entirely extinct.

Who_Am_I
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2014, 11:14 pm

Oh yes I do. Very much.

Deceptive cadence: V- ANYTHING BUT I ! !! !
Beethoven cadence: V-I-V-I-V-V-V-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I
-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I! I! I! I I I

andrethemoogle
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2014, 2:02 am

Only decaf tea. My body reacts terribly to caffeine these days (never liked caffeinated tea to be honest as well)