Page 3 of 3 [ 39 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

Statto
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

15 Sep 2014, 7:14 pm

trollcatman wrote:
What if both Scotland and the UK adopt the euro? I know support for that is pretty low in the UK but that would also help with trade with conintinental Europe.

Not adopting the Euro was one of the reasons we've come out of recession quicker and less damaged than mainland Europe, who are still,on shaky ground. Support for it was thin beforehand, now it won't happen in my lifetime unless we get invaded. We are still in a free market with Europe and our only issue with exports is the state of the Eurozone economies.

As things stand there are only downsides to joining which is why the yes campaign won't admit it would be a likely possibility, or even an unlikely one.

BritAspie
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

15 Sep 2014, 8:31 pm

Verax wrote:
Funny how nobody seems to mention that the Celtic people of Scotland are the native aboriginals that had their land stolen by the English as happening in Australia, North America, and many other places.

For me it's a native title issue as my ancestors were hunted like animals by the English on our own soil and had to flee to a foreign land to avoid being indiscriminately killed on mass. As a result, generations of us have grown up disconnected from our land and culture having to assimilate in an Anglo-Saxon culture and only speak the foreign language of English.

Free Alba (that's Gaelic for Scotland you sasanachs)

I'm English and I can say that Scotland gets it better up there you don't pay for prescriptions but us English have to. Us English have made a cornucopia of achievements all for the Crown and Country but now we're seen as evil monsters, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland have their own parliaments and can deal with local affairs but is there an English parliament? Hell no!, there are anthems for the UK, Scotland, Wales and NI but no official one for England. So your claim of Scotland being this victim and us English as being the vile monsters doesn't hold water.

thomas81
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2014, 8:33 pm

Statto wrote:
trollcatman wrote:
What if both Scotland and the UK adopt the euro? I know support for that is pretty low in the UK but that would also help with trade with conintinental Europe.

Not adopting the Euro was one of the reasons we've come out of recession quicker and less damaged than mainland Europe, who are still,on shaky ground. Support for it was thin beforehand, now it won't happen in my lifetime unless we get invaded. We are still in a free market with Europe and our only issue with exports is the state of the Eurozone economies.

As things stand there are only downsides to joining which is why the yes campaign won't admit it would be a likely possibility, or even an unlikely one.

westminster cannot prevent a currency union which is why they won't refer to it as a possibility. The lender of last resort will be a centralised Scottish bank rather than relying on the bank of England to dictate the terms.

its the no campaign that have have to obfuscate people's understanding by falsely promising 'devomax' which in truth can deliver nothing but more of the same London spivery and conservative austerity measures.

Furthermore the public NHS WILL be under threat if the union carries on. The health and social care act 2012 has removed the legal obligation on the state to provide healthcare for English citizens and brought in sixty private companies to enforce health insurance. A no vote will send a green light to roll this across Scotland too.

My deviant art profile

thomas81
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2014, 8:55 pm

BritAspie wrote:
Verax wrote:
Funny how nobody seems to mention that the Celtic people of Scotland are the native aboriginals that had their land stolen by the English as happening in Australia, North America, and many other places.

For me it's a native title issue as my ancestors were hunted like animals by the English on our own soil and had to flee to a foreign land to avoid being indiscriminately killed on mass. As a result, generations of us have grown up disconnected from our land and culture having to assimilate in an Anglo-Saxon culture and only speak the foreign language of English.

Free Alba (that's Gaelic for Scotland you sasanachs)

I'm English and I can say that Scotland gets it better up there you don't pay for prescriptions but us English have to. Us English have made a cornucopia of achievements all for the Crown and Country but now we're seen as evil monsters, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland have their own parliaments and can deal with local affairs but is there an English parliament? Hell no!, there are anthems for the UK, Scotland, Wales and NI but no official one for England. So your claim of Scotland being this victim and us English as being the vile monsters doesn't hold water.

This isn't about anti-English sentiment, its about the fact that the Scottish dont' get to elect the government they vote for and end up with right wing, tory governments foisted upon them in spite of their wishes.

the other main problem is that Westminster gets to control the pursestrings of the Scottish treasury. A austerity report by UNISON speculates that only 40 percent of the planned government cuts have thus taken place. That means in the event of a no vote, more are going to take hold in Scotland. When it comes to requesting money back from Westminster to pay for the free prescriptions and university places they will have the power to decline this. Scotland has these things is in spite of London government, not because of it.

My deviant art profile

trollcatman
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2014, 7:14 am

Statto wrote:
trollcatman wrote:

Recovery varies mostly by country and whatever messed up "solutions" their politicians have done. Germany has been doing quite well for example. I do believe though that the ECB could have done more than just talk about austerity and keep 2% inflation as their main goal, which is just silly these days.

0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2014, 3:47 pm

thomas81 wrote:
westminster cannot prevent a currency union which is why they won't refer to it as a possibility. The lender of last resort will be a centralised Scottish bank rather than relying on the bank of England to dictate the terms.

If you are going to talk bout fiscal matters, learn what you are talking about.

Currency union is not possible without all parties agreeing. Currency union doesn't involve having two separate central banks.

You don't know you are talking about.

If you are adopting another countries currency, like Panama you are forgoing a central bank becuase you have no control over that currency.

You can only have a central bank, if you have your own currency.

Don't take my word for ask an economist.

Statto

19 Sep 2014, 7:35 am

trollcatman wrote:
Statto wrote:
trollcatman wrote:

Recovery varies mostly by country and whatever messed up "solutions" their politicians have done. Germany has been doing quite well for example. I do believe though that the ECB could have done more than just talk about austerity and keep 2% inflation as their main goal, which is just silly these days.

Germany is doing well as the Interest rates etc are set at levels that suit Germany, who by coincidence have most influence. However for say Portugal to best help their growth different interest rates and different inflation targets are needed. The greater the range of fiscal requirements the harder it is to keep everyone happy. The idea of the EU and EURO is fine but to make headlines they grew the EURO zone far too quickly, when they already had significant fiscal challenges to manage.

By not being in the EURO the UK could set its interest rates and targets without worrying about the needs of a whole bunch of other countries which unless you are Germany means compromise. I don't blame Germany either btw as if they have the influence use it, especially as they seem to be the ones bailing everyone out.