Page 2 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2014, 11:39 pm

The number of times something like this has happened me. You say you didn't know where you could go and the librarian expected you to already have known you have to go to the stair well? I've never been in that jam but it seems so familiar, I've been in so many situations where I'm trying to do the right thing but then I get in some dilemma where I just don't know what I'm supposed to do and people expect me to already know.

So many times I've done something wrong by accident and then people berate me as though I did it on purpose (I don't think they know the difference). I try to explain what lead to my mistake and they can't or won't understand. Even if they acknowledge it was a mistake they say it was still my fault for being careless. Don't they know hindsight is 20/20?

And stress? That's the other thing. Things stress me out easily and I find it a lot harder to be polite when I'm stressed. I know I should be polite but it's hard for me to be polite to someone who's being rude to me. People tell me not to be so passive. Easier said than done. They tell me to be assertive. I can be passive or aggressive but for me assertive is a very fine line. I try to be assertive but risk crossing over into aggressive. I don't know if this is because I can't tell the difference or because les petits empereurs can't tell the difference (that is to say, they might interpret any assertiveness as aggression).

eric76
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2014, 12:34 am

Summer_Twilight wrote:
Even though I was trying to be careful she was very harsh and talked to me like a little kid

If she talked to you like you were a little kid, then she was being nice.

When correcting a little kid, a person expects them not to know better and the correction is usually gentle. As you get older, people start to expect you to know better more and more often and the corrections become harsher.

For example, last spring I found my nephew's oldest kid who I think is an 8th grader eating ice cream from my refrigerator straight out of the carton. I had figured out that someone had been doing that but I had no idea who it was.

By the time you are in eighth grade, you should know better than to do that. So I chewed him out quite strongly for doing it. If he had been younger, the correction would have been milder, but considering that he was well past the age where he should have known better, the correction was quite appropriate.

That one might have autism/asperger's does not mean that one should be immune from being corrected. Whether someone is neurotypical or autistic, they should be held to the same standards of behavior in the same situation. If they can't behave themselves appropriately in the library, then they shouldn't be there.

For what it's worth, I think it is the neurotypicals who are the worst offenders in the library, by far. Just about anyone I would have thought was autistic was usually by far the more likely to stay quiet.

Summer_Twilight
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2014, 5:51 am

Actually I go up to the quietest floor to study 95% and I don't even vocally talk on the phone. The majority of my communication is usually in texting. Like Eric said I go up there because the first and second floor are the nosiest.

Like one of the other people said in here I was really stressed out yesterday and because I had a lot on my plate.