Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

Stannis
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2014, 11:30 am

This is an interesting lecture from the recent, Festival Of Dangerous Ideas. It goes into Indigenous affairs, social media, war and propaganda. The whole thing is worth watching but the specific section I want to draw to your attention to is transcribed below.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0g73A-QHvao[/youtube]

About 15:00--

"Australia is not independent. It?s not intellectually independent. In many ways it?s not even culturally independent. But, why not? I think that?s a question all of us need to ask ourselves. Why isn?t it? Why is our political voice coming from across the pacific? Why do I pick up two newspapers; the front pages of both Sydney newspapers on Thursday: one of them had ?Enemy at the Gates? and the other one had ?An Enemy Comes Home?.

The kind of crude scare stories that I think I grew up with during the McCarthyite period. Why after all these years are we still swallowing this nonsense? It?s something that is manufactured elsewhere, and regurgitated here by our political elite. ??

Ectryon
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2014, 8:55 pm

The war on terror is mutating beyond anything we dared fear. Al Qaeda was iirc created by America as a means of controlling soviet expansion. They didn't disband after theyre utility had ended. American politics claims that Al Qaeda was a centralised force but the reality seems to indicate that it was just an ideology. ISIS however is more organised and I believe subsumed much of Al Qaeda's network into themselves. As the war goes on the enemy becomes the propogandised image our media is painting.

My history on this forum preserves my old and unregenerate self. In the years since I posted here I have undergone many changes. I accept responsibility for my posts but I no longer stand behind them.
And He is the radiance of His glory and the exact representation of His nature, and upholds all things by the word of His power When He had made purification of sins, He sat down at the right hand of the Majesty on high Hebrews 1:3

Inventor
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2014, 11:44 pm

All the troops in Afganistan, all the drones, ten years, and the Taliban is still there. Opium production has doubled. The Islamic State is much larger, better armed, better funded.

Big Brother has started the War in Eurasia, the endless war, the future for all time.

The only problem is Big Brother is Barry Obama, of Chicago, unemployed in two years, and Detroit has the largest Islamic Community.

We live in a global world, this is no longer like sending gunboats into China in 1920.

So two "Reporters" no press connections mentioned, CIA, go their heads cut off.

The "Moderates" we funded sold them to Al Nustra, who sold them to the Islamic State.

Now one side is going to cut your head off, and the other is going to torture you for years in Gitmo, or to death in a black prison.

Such concern was not shown to the dead of Iraq or Afganistan, on either side, a million. Or to the Press in prison in Egypt, Ukraine, Who did work for Al Jazeera and Russia Today.

Wall Street is no longer paying Congress a half billion a year, so they need that weapons money.