Aspiton: A haven for Super High Functioning Aspies

Page 1 of 3 [ 45 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Verax
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

12 Sep 2014, 2:01 pm

What if there was a place where guenius aspies could work in peace without the distractions that NTs bring.

I know it's a little Eurekaish but it's just a thought experient.

Would we become a threat to national security and culture by pumping out more tech and art than the NTs could handle once the NT distraction was removed?

Last edited by Verax on 13 Sep 2014, 11:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

CyclopsSummers
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2014, 2:24 pm

Verax wrote:
I have a dream. The dream of a city full of aspies doing nothing but art and science.

I know it's a little Eurekaish but how do the rest of you think a "no NTs allowed town" would work out.?

Would we become a threat to national security and culture by pumping out more tech and art than the NTs could handle once the NT distraction was removed?

I've met many people on the spectrum in real life. They're not all of them scientists and artists. Conversely, a great many artists and scientists show no sign of pervasive developmental disorders.

Your premise is based on a misconception.

I also think a "no NTs allowed town" would not work out all that well for the mothers who give birth to non-autistic children. It would not be the first time a government attempts to exclude a particular segment of the populace. The words 'slegs blankes' spring to mind.

Also, speaking as someone from Afro-Caribbean descent, I want to express my distaste at your use of the words 'I have a dream', an obvious reference to Dr. Martin Luther King, who I'd wager would quite bristle upon reading the society structure you're proposing here. Remember his further words, that one is better judged upon the content of one's character than any other considerations.

1401b
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2014, 2:37 pm

Verax wrote:
I have a dream. The dream of a city full of aspies doing nothing but art and science.

I know it's a little Eurekaish but how do the rest of you think a "no NTs allowed town" would work out.?

It would likely immediately fail .
We need NTs to do ... well, all the things that NTs are good at. If nothing else for pretty much all the "support" services: Cleaning (so we don't spend 80 hours in the bathroom cleaning the grout with an old toothbrush, three pkgs of Q-tips, and rewiring the lights); Food prep (so we don't just eat hot pockets for 58 years then have a massive coronary); Stocking and storage and delivery and mid-line medical, and all those other Executive Mind thingys.

Not to mention how damaging all those kinds of interruptions are to our intense focus while 'special interest'ing on some world changing project.

For an aspie population of 1 million, I estimate that we'd need another 12 - 15 million in support staff.
I also believe that (fortunately) the "Core Producers" (Aspie techs) could adequately generate the economic value to support the entire "Support Staff" at reasonably high levels of compensation.

We are the most annoying people on the earth, especially to each other, because we're so individualistic. And stubborn.
We'll need the NTs as a buffer and interpretation system to fluidly interact with the rest of the world (politicians & ambassadors) even and especially for us to interact with each other, (aspie/aspie).

So, with a slight modification, I think your plan would work excellently.

**with the caveat of employing people according to their talents and interests - this would allow us to ignore requiring any diagnosis or "categorizing" people, which then usually takes about two minutes to turn in some sort of Social - stigmata vs. elites, which then makes everything go to crap.

Verax
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

12 Sep 2014, 2:52 pm

All good points. I'm sorry if I offended you, I didn't mean to. :oops:

In my culture "I have a dream" is just some American term people use when the have a social idea.

For clarity I was implying a place like this forum that's setup for aspies. A sort of aspie colony since aspies get along socially with each other better than with NTs.

Of course no such place could actually exist cause it's blatantly obvious through history exclusion doesn't work. It's just a though experiment.

Maybe I should have put "Imagine if everyone in the world was an aspie, how would our lives be different?"

I didn't mean to be insensitive, I just grew up in a multi-cultural society, so America's race problems, the concept of segregation, etc, seem weird and inexplicable to me, so I ask you to excuse my ignorance of your foreign culture's sensitivities.

I just meant safe haven.

Verax
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

12 Sep 2014, 3:13 pm

1401b wrote:
**with the caveat of employing people according to their talents and interests - this would allow us to ignore requiring any diagnosis or "categorizing" people, which then usually takes about two minutes to turn in some sort of Social - stigmata vs. elites, which then makes everything go to crap.

I definitely see your point about support staff, and I'm all for helping NTs overcome their disabilities.
Thus the test would really be for their own good. We could have a center to give them aspie training. Somebody has to teach them basic social skills like not looking people in the eye. Other animals see that as a threatening gesture but the NTs can't seem to understand things like that.

Woodpecker
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2014, 3:33 pm

I think it would not work well, the problem is that one aspies special interests will bore another. Also if I start to do things which interest me they may well irk some other aspies. For example when a computer freak aspsie starts to fiddle with the town's phone and computer network it will stop other aspies doing their thing.

Diagnosed under the DSM5 rules with autism spectrum disorder, under DSM4 psychologist said would have been AS (299.80) but I suspect that I am somewhere between 299.80 and 299.00 (Autism) under DSM4.

Verax
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

12 Sep 2014, 3:47 pm

There would have to be an aspie govt to co-ordinate things like services.

Just would expect logical answers as to why it's necessary instead of "because the upgrade would make us seem progressive" and other such NT non-sense.

Would be more like "because the upgrade is a cell phone tower hack so we all get free netflicks downloads on our smartphones".

sharkattack
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2014, 3:51 pm

People on the Autism spectrum are annoying.

If we all lived in a city together the murder rate would be off the scale. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Verax
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

12 Sep 2014, 3:58 pm

Everyone I've met on the autism scale has been able to ignore everyone around them at an olympic level. I don't think it would be a very chatty place.

BeggingTurtle
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2014, 9:27 pm

Then something else will become the new "autism'.

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2014, 12:14 am

An NT-free society wouldn't work. Why? Because NTs simply do certain things better, like customer service, and any sort of jobs that involve fast-paced work or multitasking. As well, in an aspie/autie-only society, what would happen to all of the NT children born to aspie/autie mothers? Discrimination is NOT the solution for fighting discrimination. An aspie/autie-friendly society should be focused on accepting people of all groups.

LupaLuna
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2014, 1:59 am

First of all. let me be blunt here. An asptopian world is not a reality. It won't work. What really needs to happen is for asoie people to be accepted/integrated into the mainstream society. New cultural rules and anti discrimination laws need to be pass that will help aspies live better. for example.

It should be considered rude or taboo to ask/expect an aspie to make eye-contact with you.

Aspies should be allowed to stim in public(appropriately) without being look upon as weird.

and the list goes on. But you get my point, Anyways, just like everybody else said. An aspie exclusive society/world is not gonna work.

BTW: you guys wanna talk about "having a dream?" . Well, this is my dream, I am having.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2014, 2:41 am

abelist would replace racist as the Ad hominem attack word of choice?

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

neobluex
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2014, 9:09 am

1) Aspies and "NTs" can coexist. You just have to educate them from a early age in a correct environment.

2) A social organization system (the city) has to be a serious project and must not be affected by poorly planned whims such as "no NTs allowed".

jk1
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2014, 10:13 am

I think it's really hard to distinguish "aspies" from "non-aspies". The diagnosis is not really science-based. Also excluding autistic people seems to be rather cruel. The idea of segregating people itself doesn't sound good (sounds like discrimination) but the basis for the segregation is quite unclear in this case.

Having said that, I see that the OP just wants a world where people with Asperger's syndrome can live a happy, comfortable and fulfilling life. I agree with him on that. But I think it just has to happen in a different (more realistic) way. Also other autistic people need to be included in that.

LupaLuna
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2014, 10:41 am

What we really need is an "Autistic" rights movement, just like there was the "Black" rights movement of the 60's and the "Gay" rights movement of the 90's.