Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

LupineSnowstorm
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2014, 5:00 pm

Hi,
I'm looking for advice about taking pills for my anxiety. I know it must seem a bit drastic for someone my age but I can't help but get the feeling that if I was brave enough to talk to people for longer I could learn more conversational and social skills and it would get to the point where I wouldn't need them anymore (that probably sounded like a really naive way of thinking but I think that they really could help.)
I know that anxiety is a common trait in AS and other forms of autism so this is where I thought to look for advice first.
Has anyone here tried anxiety meds?
Were they effective?
Are there any really bad side effects that would make it not worth it?
Which drugs would you recommend?

Any info you could provide would be very, very much appreciated.

cathylynn
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2014, 7:08 pm

i had good luck with benzodiazepines for social anxiety. i didn't take them all the time, so didn't have to worry about addiction. buspar didn't help me. i've never tried inderal (propranolol). these last two have the advantage of not being addictive.

Meistersinger
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2014, 7:17 pm

LupineSnowstorm wrote:
Hi,
I'm looking for advice about taking pills for my anxiety. I know it must seem a bit drastic for someone my age but I can't help but get the feeling that if I was brave enough to talk to people for longer I could learn more conversational and social skills and it would get to the point where I wouldn't need them anymore (that probably sounded like a really naive way of thinking but I think that they really could help.)
I know that anxiety is a common trait in AS and other forms of autism so this is where I thought to look for advice first.
Has anyone here tried anxiety meds?
Were they effective?
Are there any really bad side effects that would make it not worth it?
Which drugs would you recommend?

Any info you could provide would be very, very much appreciated.

Buspar was worthless. Buspar + Vibryd gave me constant panic attacks, cognitive dysfunction, suicidal ideation, brain fog, tinnitus, and caused me to go bipolar. Citalopram made me emotionally flat and fscked up my metabolism. Prozac made me extremely irritable. Effexor gave me tinnitus, Anitryptalwne made me sleepy and I always felt hung over.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

13 Sep 2014, 1:10 am

I started Buspar because I was having lots of anxiety problems within a relationship & it was causing us major problems. I didn't like the idea of antidepressants because I was on those for 5years & felt better after I got off em than I did the whole time I was on em. I liked the idea of Buspar being specially for anxiety instead of other uses. I found it helps better than any antidepressants I tried. It's kind of a hit & miss med. Some have bad side-effects which are noticed shortly after starting that don't go away after being on it abit. Some feel it has no effect. Some(like my girlfriend) find it only helps with physical symptoms of anxiety. Some like me found it helps the physical & mental. It's only fda approved for physical symptoms of generalized anxiety but some like me found it helps with other anxiety stuff like not having panic-attacks. I found I could push myself to be more social after being on it abit & I had no side-effects. It only helped my OCD by taking away the anxiety aspect so I take another med for that. I sometimes feel claustrophobic in crowded or noisy buses so I take Klonopin before taking buses that are more likely to be. Klonopin is a benzodiaepine & those are best used occasionally as needed like taking before a social event, whereas Buspar has to be taken a couple times every day.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

Stephz98
Butterfly
Butterfly

13 Sep 2014, 3:59 am

Hi. If you haven't tried cognitive behavioural therapy or dialectal behaviour therapy, you coild give those a try first. If they don't help, see a doctor or psychiatrist. I'm prescribed 30mg of Escitalopram which works wonders for my anxiety. Depending on the doctor you go to, will determine what you get and what dose you get it as (a lot of doctors don't like prescribing to children and only do it as a last resort), well at least in my experience, I've had psychiatrists that only prescribe to children if all else fails.

If you think medication will work for you, go talk to your family doctor or a psychiatrist. The thing I hate about medication is the dependency, I hate feeling dependant on medication.