Page 1 of 4 [ 57 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

billiscool
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2014, 5:36 pm

Im kinda of getting annoyed of people who
never been official diagnosis with ASD,Asperger,HFA..
puting the rest of us down,because we struggle
with social skills. I see people talk about how
they had a successful love life or how they go
out and meet people.Yet,on their profile or
on the forum,they admit they never been officially diagnosis.

sharkattack
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2014, 5:44 pm

Well I started out on this board in April 2012 I think without and official diagnosis.

Never been in a relationship never lived independently but I do work.

March 2013 I got an official Autism Spectrum Disorder report slash diagnosis.

It is possible some people with milder symptoms may not see the benefit of an official diagnosis.

However I can understand your annoyance.

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2014, 5:45 pm

I have not seen anyone put others down because they struggle in life here. People share their life experiences and just because some people manage to have some relationships or manage to work does not mean at all that they are putting others down who are not able to do these things. In fact, there is a lot of support for people who are struggling at those things and if you read enough posts you will see that.

We have also had lengthy conversations about why people can't get diagnosed with you on threads that you have started about that subject in the past. I am sure people do not want to rehash this subject with you. You know very well that some people simply cannot afford the thousands of dollars that a diagnosis can cost especially if the benefits that they might be able to get by getting one are so limited because of the age discrimination that is so prevalent in these matters.

If you are trying to troll, please end it now. This is not the first thread of this nature from you and you know that the others ended up getting locked. If you really have a legitimate feeling that you are trying to express then we can help you through it. But trust me, people are not putting others down because they have difficulties with work or relationships or with other aspects of life. People are not put down here because they struggle with social skills.

Wreck It Ralph

Last edited by skibum on 12 Sep 2014, 5:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.

CWA
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2014, 5:47 pm

I understand your frustration. However in some cases an actual diagnosis would gain nothing and could be deleterious. In my case I would lose my job. I have no medical privacy and a condition like ASD would cause the body that oversees my work to question my mental ability to do the type of work I do. They had to fire the last person with an ASD diagnosis. Anyway, I was lucky enough to be able to cope throughout life. My daughter is more severe it seems. I worry for her and coming here gives me further insight into her struggles. Since I've been able to cope, I admit I do not understand sometimes when she cannot.

KingdomOfRats
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2014, 5:54 pm

^seconded @skibum, undiagnosed people shoud not be the latest trend to target on here, theyre still a part of the community whether theyre on the spectrum or not.

have seen more diagnosed people put down others for being aspergan or classic autistic,high functioning or low functioning- on here than have ever seen non diagnosed people do it,am really struggling to think of a time when have seen a un diagnosed person show off for being so functional in life.

people might have pride in how far they have come along and want to share that with others or might want to show it isnt a clear disability for everyone,its very possible that theyre just doing that and not showing off/trying to put others down.

>>>help to keep bullying off our community,report it!

MehruneMath
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

12 Sep 2014, 5:57 pm

billiscool wrote:

I've never even made physical contact with a female before and I'm not currently diagnosed.
I would never put down another human being for an intellectual difficulty, that's horrible.

Last edited by MehruneMath on 12 Sep 2014, 5:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

billiscool
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2014, 5:58 pm

how do people who never actual been diagnosis with ASD.
actually know they really have it.Why ASD.
why not ADD,bioplar,or something else.

sharkattack
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2014, 5:59 pm

MehruneMath wrote:
billiscool wrote:

I've never even made physical contact with a female before and I'm not currently diagnosed.

Your 21 I am 40 your young yet never say never. :wink:

sharkattack
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2014, 6:00 pm

billiscool wrote:

Your correct it could be something else but in my case I was correct and I think in a lot of cases it is pretty obvious when people have clear autistic traits.

MehruneMath

12 Sep 2014, 6:01 pm

billiscool wrote:

You can read my thread linked below this sentence.
My Thread

I believe I have an autism spectrum disorder as I have many of the symptoms. My step-brother is diagnosed with it and we're similar in some circumstances.
Also a psychiatrist had suspected me of an autism spectrum disorder when I was fairly young, but I was never tested, as I had better than average social skills.
These social skills involved my vocabulary not my usage there of, which was lacking.

Last edited by MehruneMath on 12 Sep 2014, 6:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2014, 6:02 pm

billiscool wrote:
Why does it matter? What difference is it to you?

Wreck It Ralph

billiscool
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2014, 6:04 pm

sharkattack wrote:

Your correct it could be something else but in my case I was correct and I think in a lot of cases it is pretty obvious when people have clear autistic traits.

what about BPD.Even experts can't tell the difference between bpd and ASD.

LokiofSassgard
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2014, 6:05 pm

Well, I'm professionally diagnosed with an ASD. I have a love life and friends who support me. We aren't total social outcasts, and we don't always live in a bubble. Some of us want to communicate with others, and often times we are successful with that. It doesn't make us any less autistic just because we have a few social skills or something like that. It's the same that goes for those who are undiagonsed as well. They probably have reasons for that, and it's not right for you to be judgmental because you see us communicating with people who aren't on the spectrum.

I get told everyday that I don't look or act autistic. I've gotten used to the people who tend to not understand me, but it really hurts when someone says that being too social or even a little social somehow makes you less autistic than you should be.

billiscool
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2014, 6:15 pm

LokiofSassgard wrote:
Well, I'm professionally diagnosed with an ASD. I have a love life and friends who support me. We aren't total social outcasts, and we don't always live in a bubble. Some of us want to communicate with others, and often times we are successful with that. It doesn't make us any less autistic just because we have a few social skills or something like that. It's the same that goes for those who are undiagonsed as well. They probably have reasons for that, and it's not right for you to be judgmental because you see us communicating with people who aren't on the spectrum.

I get told everyday that I don't look or act autistic. I've gotten used to the people who tend to not understand me, but it really hurts when someone says that being too social or even a little social somehow makes you less autistic than you should be.

I never said anything about diagnosis ASD people. I've had a love life,have
a good amount of friends,I do ok,I guess.

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2014, 6:25 pm

billiscool wrote:
sharkattack wrote:

what about BPD.Even experts can't tell the difference between bpd and ASD.
How do you know that anyone has ASD then professionally diagnosed or not?

Wreck It Ralph

billiscool
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2014, 6:38 pm

skibum wrote:

How do you know that anyone has ASD then professionally diagnosed or not?

BPD really f--k everything up.Or maybe experts need to study
ASD and BPD better. Or maybe BPD should just be part of ASD