Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

L_Holmes
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2014, 1:04 am

I need to calm down right now and I can't do it. I don't know how really to describe it, but I just have a bad feeling for some reason that is not apparent to me. I have had many times in the past where I get like this, and every time I have no idea what the problem is. Is this anxiety? I've never been able to describe it to anyone accurately (well, I never really tried; I assumed they would be confused or think I was making it up). If I had to pick a word to describe it, I'd probably pick dread.

Sometimes I get it, or it gets worse, when I start thinking about all the things I have to do later, or the next day, or in general. It makes it really hard to do anything for some reason. But I really don't know what causes it, because it seems it happens just as often for unapparent reasons. Like right now. Can anyone help me figure out what the heck is wrong with me?

- Sherlock Holmes

Agrestic
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

14 Sep 2014, 1:11 am

I'm not a professional, dear, but that sounds a lot like anxiety.

What's your special interest? If you have one, tell me about it. That helps a lot to share what you're good at with people. :D

Just remember, you'll get it done. There's no reason to be anxious. Anxiety doesn't help us get things done. It'll be okay.

If you need to, PM me or another WPer. We're nice folks for the most part and we'll help you out if we can.

Breathe, though. Try taking a nice warm shower. I know for me, whenever I get hit with anxiety like that, I like curling up under a few blankets. I find the weight soothing. ^^

MehruneMath

14 Sep 2014, 1:13 am

L_Holmes wrote:
I need to calm down right now and I can't do it. I don't know how really to describe it, but I just have a bad feeling for some reason that is not apparent to me. I have had many times in the past where I get like this, and every time I have no idea what the problem is. Is this anxiety? I've never been able to describe it to anyone accurately (well, I never really tried; I assumed they would be confused or think I was making it up). If I had to pick a word to describe it, I'd probably pick dread.

Sometimes I get it, or it gets worse, when I start thinking about all the things I have to do later, or the next day, or in general. It makes it really hard to do anything for some reason. But I really don't know what causes it, because it seems it happens just as often for unapparent reasons. Like right now. Can anyone help me figure out what the heck is wrong with me?

Right now there are two hormones releasing into your body; norepinephrine, and cortisol. You are experiencing a feeling of imminent danger. This utter sense of apprehension and your focusing on it is causing even more cortisol to run it's course. This is the fight or flight response in the human body. While your reflexes and perception are boosted, and this benefits most people. Your problem is you're paying so much attention to it you're making it worse; this is anxiety.

Last edited by MehruneMath on 14 Sep 2014, 1:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

KB8CWB
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2014, 1:13 am

Sounds like anxiety or a panic attack. Not sure if you are still homeless and if you have the means to see a doctor about this. There are different kinds of anxiety and corresponding different treatments. If you cannot afford a doctor or medication you could try homeopathic remedies. Get them where there is a pharmacist especially if you are on prescription medications they can tell you what is safe to take or stay clear of if you are. This following webpage may help, read it well to match up your symptoms with the suggested remedies.

Homeopathic Remedies Click Here

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2014, 1:26 am

You could try soaking your feet in a hot bath of epsom salts and see if they have a calming effect. Saturate the hot water with epsom salts if you can. The biochemistry behind this is that you absorb the magnesium sulphate (epsom salts) through your skin (and it's done best through the bottoms of your feet) & then your body is able to use the salts to detox excess salicylate acids so you can urinate them out. (it helps to drink a lot of water, too.) I found this to be very good for reducing/eliminating anxiety.

Also, you could try downloading the free guided meditation lessons here: http://www.freemeditation.com/

I haven't listened to them for quite some time and can't remember where I put the little microSD card that I have them on, but I do remember that they were very very calming & only take about 10mins or so to go through one.

rebbieh
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2014, 1:28 am

That happens to me very often (starting to feel like that right now for example) and I never really know what to do when I'm in that situation. I have a tendency to get stuck in my head and feel like I can't really get out of there. Things just get worse and worse. When it happens, I often try to distract myself from thinking by going out cycling for a while, solving my Rubik's cube over and over and over again etc. I've found that doing something that involves movement of some kind (it doesn't have to be my whole body but for example just moving my hands a lot when solving the Rubik's cube repeatedly) helps a lot better than "just" trying to get out of the "unhealthy bubble", which is what my psychologist calls it sometimes, by thinking of something else. Have you tried something like that? Go out cycling, go for a walk, take a shower, do jigsaw puzzles. Something. It doesn't always work and when it works it only helps temporarily. But at least it's something.

Anyway, it might be worth a try. Hope you feel better soon.

L_Holmes
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2014, 1:43 am

Agrestic wrote:

What's your special interest? If you have one, tell me about it. That helps a lot to share what you're good at with people. :D

Just remember, you'll get it done. There's no reason to be anxious. Anxiety doesn't help us get things done. It'll be okay.

If you need to, PM me or another WPer. We're nice folks for the most part and we'll help you out if we can.

Breathe, though. Try taking a nice warm shower. I know for me, whenever I get hit with anxiety like that, I like curling up under a few blankets. I find the weight soothing. ^^

I guess it probably is anxiety then. I know my mom has anxiety and panic attacks, I was never as bad as her but I always had this feeling sometimes; I think I am getting worse. Anxiety seems to run in the family too.

I never tried the blankets, maybe that would help me. I realized that I didn't have my music on like usual, so after a little while of listening on my headphones I feel more calmed down. My special interest is singing actually, but unfortunately the act of singing doesn't usually seem to calm me down much, at least not lately. I still enjoy doing it normally, but when I'm stressed I can't for some reason. In the past I would play computer games or watch my favorite videos to calm down. Problem with doing that now is I can lose track of time very easily, and I can't afford to lose too much sleep since I have a full time job.

I'm not homeless anymore, my grandparents told me I could come back; I didn't honestly expect them to do this. But it feels like being back here is stressing me more, actually; living in my car was simpler, the idea is more appealing to me for some reason. It's nothing to do with them, they have been nicer to me actually. So I would feel bad about leaving because I know they want to help me. I think I am still going to leave in a few months to Ohio like I was planning, as I could live with my sister and she needs help with rent. But I am not looking forward to the few months leading up to then, I'll be working 40-50 hours a week. luckily they agreed to give me a more stable schedule, I won't have to come in really early anymore.

- Sherlock Holmes

L_Holmes
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2014, 1:45 am

rebbieh wrote:
That happens to me very often (starting to feel like that right now for example) and I never really know what to do when I'm in that situation. I have a tendency to get stuck in my head and feel like I can't really get out of there. Things just get worse and worse. When it happens, I often try to distract myself from thinking by going out cycling for a while, solving my Rubik's cube over and over and over again etc. I've found that doing something that involves movement of some kind (it doesn't have to be my whole body but for example just moving my hands a lot when solving the Rubik's cube repeatedly) helps a lot better than "just" trying to get out of the "unhealthy bubble", which is what my psychologist calls it sometimes, by thinking of something else. Have you tried something like that? Go out cycling, go for a walk, take a shower, do jigsaw puzzles. Something. It doesn't always work and when it works it only helps temporarily. But at least it's something.

Anyway, it might be worth a try. Hope you feel better soon.

I feel like that a lot too. I do have a Rubik's cube somewhere, I used to do the same thing sometimes but I misplaced it.

- Sherlock Holmes

Agrestic

14 Sep 2014, 1:48 am

L_Holmes wrote:
Agrestic wrote:

I guess it probably is anxiety then. I know my mom has anxiety and panic attacks, I was never as bad as her but I always had this feeling sometimes; I think I am getting worse. Anxiety seems to run in the family too.

I never tried the blankets, maybe that would help me. I realized that I didn't have my music on like usual, so after a little while of listening on my headphones I feel more calmed down. My special interest is singing actually, but unfortunately the act of singing doesn't usually seem to calm me down much, at least not lately. I still enjoy doing it normally, but when I'm stressed I can't for some reason. In the past I would play computer games or watch my favorite videos to calm down. Problem with doing that now is I can lose track of time very easily, and I can't afford to lose too much sleep since I have a full time job.

I'm not homeless anymore, my grandparents told me I could come back; I didn't honestly expect them to do this. But it feels like being back here is stressing me more, actually; living in my car was simpler, the idea is more appealing to me for some reason. It's nothing to do with them, they have been nicer to me actually. So I would feel bad about leaving because I know they want to help me. I think I am still going to leave in a few months to Ohio like I was planning, as I could live with my sister and she needs help with rent. But I am not looking forward to the few months leading up to then, I'll be working 40-50 hours a week. luckily they agreed to give me a more stable schedule, I won't have to come in really early anymore.

When your special interest is a creative art, it can be rather finicky. The creative arts ebb and flow, they have their own variability to them. I found that frustrating when I would try drawing to calm myself down.

Are you trying to be a singer? Sometimes, when we try to capitalize on our interest, it alienates us from it. Do be careful.

Good luck to you! :D

L_Holmes
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2014, 1:55 am

I am pretty sure I would like to be a singer, I know I'm not good enough yet though. I am probably good enough to do covers of stuff, except that I have not practiced guitar or piano enough to accompany my singing.

- Sherlock Holmes

Birdsleep
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

14 Sep 2014, 2:52 am

Here is something I do when my mind spins out of control and becomes an instrument of torture:
I call it 'noticing' , but sometimes it's called mindfulness. Maybe this works for you too.
Our Aspie ability to focus only on one thing at the time can be turned to an advantage.
First thing, I feel my feet on the ground while walking, then I direct all attention to the senses.
Smell the air, feel the temperature, listen to little sounds, see ordinary little details, like spots, nails, dust, cracks in the wall.
This takes you totally into the moment and after a while you can feel the mysterious presence of something greater,
it feels like you are perfectly safe right now in this moment and all is well with you.
It's also very helpful during sensory overload, because the attention doesn't get split between thought and senses anymore,
the intense sensory input becomes easier to bear.
It is deceptively simple, but works every time for me. I'm actually surprised that it isn't addictive, because everything
becomes so beautiful after a while. Wish I could stay in that peaceful state at all times.
But I'm addicted to thinking.