I wonder does English language use word sister for "Nur

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

pawelk1986
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2014, 10:01 am

I mean female nurse, in Poland we called female nurse as "sister" i heard that it's remaining from time where the primary medical care was run by Catholics religious female convents.

I just wonder does the similar correlation exist in other languages.

AspieUtah
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2014, 10:16 am

In the English that I speak (hehe), nurse is the common title. Sister is used only if the nurse is, in fact, a nun. Aside from nurse, we use physician's assistant, licensed practical nurse and registered nurse.

Diagnosed in 2015 with ASD Level 1 by the University of Utah Health Care Autism Spectrum Disorder Clinic using the ADOS-2 Module 4 assessment instrument [11/30] -- Screened in 2014 with ASD by using the University of Cambridge Autism Research Centre AQ (Adult) [43/50]; EQ-60 for adults [11/80]; FQ [43/135]; SQ (Adult) [130/150] self-reported screening inventories -- Assessed since 1978 with an estimated IQ [≈145] by several clinicians -- Contact on WrongPlanet.net by private message (PM)

Skilpadde
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2014, 10:55 am

Quote:

Søster (sister) is used in Norwegian too. In full it is sykesøster (literally sick-sister) and the word for nurse is sykepleier (sick-tender or sick-carer) which is gender neutral, as well as the rather old-fashioned sykepleierske for a female nurse.

In Swedish they have sjuksköterska (for female nurse) and sjukskötare which is neutral. They also have sjuksyster, which leads us back to sister.

Søster apparently is a term mostly used by older people. I have used it though. Cough.

love you and miss you, dear boy

Stop the wolf kills! https://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeact ... 3091429765

pawelk1986
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2014, 12:26 pm

Skilpadde wrote:
Quote:

Søster (sister) is used in Norwegian too. In full it is sykesøster (literally sick-sister) and the word for nurse is sykepleier (sick-tender or sick-carer) which is gender neutral, as well as the rather old-fashioned sykepleierske for a female nurse.

In Swedish they have sjuksköterska (for female nurse) and sjukskötare which is neutral. They also have sjuksyster, which leads us back to sister.

Søster apparently is a term mostly used by older people. I have used it though. Cough.

In Poland we call nurse Siostra, by most of population old and young.

And most of people mostly guys poke fun of about male nurse :D Accusing them of being..., you know what i mean :D

From what i heard male nurses work mostly on Psychiatric hospitals for obvious reasons.

Hi_Im_B0B
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

25 Sep 2014, 12:00 pm

AspieUtah wrote:
Aside from nurse, we use physician's assistant, licensed practical nurse and registered nurse.
though actually those are specific job titles, each requiring different levels of training, and with different job requirements/prohibitions.

beneficii
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2014, 9:04 pm

I would address a nurse as "nurse" if I did not know their name, otherwise I would refer to them by their name, which would generally be their first name, without any special form of address. I think this is common English usage, at least in the States.

Douglas_MacNeill
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2014, 9:14 pm

pawelk1986 wrote:
I mean female nurse, in Poland we called female nurse as "sister" i heard that it's remaining from time where the primary medical care was run by Catholics religious female convents.

British dialect uses sister as a term and title of address for an R.N.

Eurythmic
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2014, 8:31 am

The term "sister" is still an acceptable form of address for a Registered Nurse, although it's not used much anymore.

0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2014, 10:19 am

Sister is an old term for registered nurse in UK.

Ward Sister or Matron is the head nurse of a ward. Nowadays called Ward Manager.

Btw Sister is still used in official titles: Junior Sister, Senior, and Senior Sister.

Btw the connection is religious. the reason why they are called sister is becuase of nun's connection to nursing.

Matron actually means mother.