Page 6 of 8 [ 120 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

AspieOtaku
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2014, 9:52 pm

AspE wrote:
Geekonychus wrote:
Trick question. They are both seperate issues and have no business being compared. Science is for schools. Religion is for church. Narry they should ever meet.

I figured it out, animeguy. What's my prize?

Nonsense. Science can address many religious questions. Does prayer work? Are certain Bible stories true? Are certain phenomenon a miracle? Can women have a virgin birth?
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bp55goEW82c[/youtube]

No matter where I go I will always be a Gaijin even at home. Like Anime? https://kissanime.to/AnimeList

Last edited by AspieOtaku on 08 Oct 2014, 1:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

syzygyish
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2014, 6:41 am

adifferentname wrote:
Quote:
All of them! :wink:

Colour me disappointed.

Why?

adifferentname
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2014, 7:37 pm

syzygyish wrote:
adifferentname wrote:
Quote:

Colour me disappointed.

Why?

Because reasons! :wink:

AspieOtaku
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2014, 1:39 am

Science holds the answers because they seek them out religions just create fairytails and scare tactics to keep people in fear!

No matter where I go I will always be a Gaijin even at home. Like Anime? https://kissanime.to/AnimeList

syzygyish
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2014, 7:36 am

adifferentname wrote:
syzygyish wrote:
adifferentname wrote:
Quote:

Colour me disappointed.

Why?

Because reasons! :wink:

:lol:

Reason is the opposite of faith

Dont't cha know?

adifferentname
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2014, 7:49 am

syzygyish wrote:

:lol:

Reason is the opposite of faith

Dont't cha know?

So is polygamy. Reason must be immoral.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2014, 7:34 pm

Religion is dumb. End of story.

izzeme
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2014, 7:21 am

because science actively searches for answers while trying to steer clear of bias and willing to accept outcomes that challenge the hypothesis, science is by definition more correct.
most religions follow books in which "god did it" was the default response to any question asked that had no apparent answer, also, many of religions' claims have been proven wrong, while most others have explanations that do not require a god (but don't rule one out), also, translations have changed a lot of the wordings.

simply the fact that (fundamental) religion refuses to update their respective holy books to what we currently know about the world makes them inaccurate at best, and wrong on many accounts.

i am not claiming that science has, or even will ever have, all the answers, but neither does religion. at least science tries to find out

AspieOtaku
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2014, 11:09 am

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fDYxUHtYB4g[/youtube]Bible thumpers logic when it comes to science.

AspE
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2014, 3:13 pm

I don't even know where to start with all the errors in that video. They redefine evolution and science itself. If anyone believes that crap I would be happy to answer specific questions.

appletheclown
Veteran
Veteran

08 Mar 2015, 9:43 pm

Provide empirical proof of string theory and/or empirical proof of matter/energy coming from nothing, and I will provide empirical proof of God.
:|

appletheclown
Veteran
Veteran

08 Mar 2015, 9:50 pm

The best passover song:

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

08 Mar 2015, 10:21 pm

Science encourages curiosity, and allows for correction or elimination of previously accepted theories. One demonstration trumps invalid belief.

Religion requires obedience, and makes no allowances for correction or elimination of dogmatic beliefs that have been proven invalid.

If I want to be cured of a life-threatening disease, I will trust one science-minded physician over any number of muttering and wailing religionists.

russdm
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

08 Mar 2015, 11:31 pm

To be honest, I think you are giving Science more credit than it actually has. I am not saying that it is wrong, but you are assigning traits to it that Science actually doesn't possess. Religion is useful, Science is useful, and both have a place, as long as it encourages people/individuals to be better today than yesterday.

izzeme wrote:
because science actively searches for answers while trying to steer clear of bias and willing to accept outcomes that challenge the hypothesis, science is by definition more correct.

This doesn't actually apply to Science currently. Bias still plays major part and anything that challenges that bias is opposed. Look at the effort taken to finally have scientists accept the norse/Viking voyages that occurred before Columbus. Look at the effort regarding studies over the Bering land bridge and how carbon-dating of sites in the Americas show arrivals before the land bridge. Despite this science, there is still strong opposition among scientists to accept anything information that challenges the Bering Land Bridge theory.

izzeme wrote:
i am not claiming that science has, or even will ever have, all the answers, but neither does religion. at least science tries to find out

Science has been shown to be unwilling to find out. There were entire sections of our current sciences that were not only denied by past scientists but those scientists refused to accept any testing regarding those theories.

Fnord wrote:
Science encourages curiosity, and allows for correction or elimination of previously accepted theories. One demonstration trumps invalid belief.

Scientists have been shown to be unwilling to accept challenges to theories. Many of our current science was originally opposed, sometimes violently, by past scientists.

For a long while once the theory was made, the Bering Land-bridge had a crushing grip on how the peopling of the Americas took place. Despite evidence demonstrating that humans were present before the land-bridge, scientists absolutely to take seriously anything uncovered and regarded all information contrary as being fakes or hoaxes.

Much of our current mainstream science exists because of struggles waged between different groups of scientists about whether it was true or not. In some cases, the only reason the science even exists today is due to the fact that those opposed died or lost their support. The existence of lead poisoning was denied despite scientific proof. Other scientific proofs we take for granted were denied by scientists before.

Science has only recently been willing to accept new information regardless of bias and pre-conceived notions. That is recent, not further back and science still struggles with Bias.

Science is also limited in being able to measure only the perceivable to us world. Until microscopes, atoms couldn't be observed. Anything that cannot be observed directly cannot be determined by science. Science can measure the measurable, but beyond that, it breaks down. Yes, we mathematically guess about things/materials/science, but we haven't been able to test it yet.

Given how immature Science still is, I wouldn't put much faith in it being able to answer religious questions that aren't directly measurable by instruments.

Like how the others on this thread are actually real people and not cut-outs/etc produced by simulation of real existence being experienced by someone. Science is even debating whether we exist in a simulation or if we are real.

Narrator
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2015, 1:19 am

The biggest problem we have with this kind of discussion on most forums is that too few of the participants are actual scientists or even science historians. We're like first-aiders arguing over how to do brain surgery.

Many things are reported about science that are either untrue or lacking facts or context. For example, proof against a theory needs to be confirmed as truly contradicting the established theory before people will incorporate it. Yet all we hear about is the assertion of contradiction and an unwillingness of science to yield. Tabloid journalism makes us skeptical of the reporting, except when they're reporting on science, and then people are willing to accept it uncritically.

At best, we who are not scientists will make assertions, have a battle of links, and then all go home, each to our own invested beliefs.

Climate Change: A little over a decade ago, I was a firm believer that man was causing climate change. Then I watched a video that showed exactly how we were being duped into believing that. It shocked me. I was angry that we were being made to believe something that was nothing more than a cyclic thing to do with the sun. The science behind the video showed undeniably how climate scientists were fooling the world, and why.

Months later, as a followup, I read a critique of the video. At first I was skeptical of the critique because it was debunking the video. The more I read, the more I saw how the video had made false allegations, presented the protagonist's projected data as fact and plain lied. It made me angry, for three reasons. 1. The video lied using false data and false assertions. 2. Millions would not see the debunk of the video. 3. That false video could affect how we tackle climate change.

But there is also a fourth reason I was angry. I had been duped. It made me realize that I needed to be more skeptical about things, especially on the fringe.

And a blank look rarely means a blank mind.

sophisticated
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

09 Mar 2015, 1:25 am

appletheclown wrote:
Provide empirical proof of string theory and/or empirical proof of matter/energy coming from nothing, and I will provide empirical proof of God.
:|

don't hold your breath.