No 39%  39%  [ 43 ]
Yes, because I'm on the Spectrum 37%  37%  [ 41 ]
Yes, for reasons other than being on the Spectrum 24%  24%  [ 27 ]
Total votes : 111

Madfrog
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

14 Sep 2014, 4:43 pm

For all of my life, people have told me about my "disability" in reference to Asperger's. I used to accept that I was disabled and therefore lesser that everyone else. For the past few years, my basic position has been "I'm not disabled, I just think differently than neurotypicals do, and screw you for trying to label me against my will." Now I'm more conflicted about the disability identity. If anything, I feel like my depression is more of a disability than my existence on the Spectrum.

How do you self-identify?

andrethemoogle
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2014, 5:14 pm

Yes, due to my panic disorder, generalized anxiety disorder, depression and a host of other things.

metaldanielle
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2014, 5:53 pm

I consider myself disabled due to a combination of my AS and all my co-morbids. I'm not sure any of them would be considered disabling on their own.

LokiofSassgard
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2014, 5:59 pm

I actually do consider myself disabled. This is due to the combination of my ASD with other conditions. I am unable to do most daily living skills and also find it hard to hold down a job. I also can't drive due to Dyspraxia. I have a number of issues that still have yet to be addressed. The bottom line is... I'm not able to care for myself the same as most people on the spectrum are capable of. I need lots of help with cooking, cleaning and most other things as well.

ASdogGeek
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2014, 6:04 pm

Yes for 2 and. 3

That is yes because I am autistic and yes because of other conditions I have

http://autismdoggirl.blogspot.com/
http://stridersautismdogjourney.blogspot.com/

KingdomOfRats
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2014, 6:22 pm

have always identified as disabled as long as have heard of the term,it isnt just one thing am affected by,... am low functioning severely classic autistic and have mild intelectual disability [both of which creates high complex needs,2:1 support needs and severe challenging behavior],have recently been diagnosed with severe sciatica;have acutely suffered with the condition for a year now so qualify as calling that a disability,severe epilepsy,post brain injury impairments,severe lifelong reactive attachment disorder,severe major depressive disorder.
however have never seen disability as a limiter have always done what wanted to do and never let it control life.

people who dont identify as disabled often only know of the rigid old fashioned medical model of disability when theres also the social model of disability,which especialy relates to non physical conditions, here is a basic definition of the social model of disability;as well as what the medical model means:
https://www.gov.uk/government/policies/ ... disability

>>>help to keep bullying off our community,report it!

little_blue_jay
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

14 Sep 2014, 6:24 pm

I voted for #3 (POTS and CFS) but a little of option 2 can get tossed in there for me as well. I couldn't take much more of working in a customer service fast food environment.

Not actually on Disability though as it's very hard to qualify for in Ontario.

AQ score: 47
RAADS-R score: 196

DreamingCloud7
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

14 Sep 2014, 6:24 pm

Yes but for a variety of reasons not just ASD

AQ 40/50

ImeldaJace
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2014, 6:51 pm

I identify as disabled from my sensory issues associated with autism and a severe anxiety disorder. I am prevented from doing so many things because of them. Right now I have an accommodation for a single room at college and almost the only times I am able to leave it are to go to class and meals, and sometimes I am not able to do even that much. I wish more than almost anything else to be able to be a semi "normal" college student.

I don't feel that autism in itself is a disability, but there are some parts that are disabling. Autism is an integral part of me and makes me who I am. If you were to take away my autism, you would take away the world as I know it. I know the world through the lens of my autism and I would be lost without it. At the same time, if I could take away my sensory problems and my anxiety, I would do it in a heartbeat.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2014, 7:55 pm

My aspergers causes difficulties in my ability to function in day to day life, so yeah I consider that especially combined with my other mental conditions to be a 'disability' doesn't mean I am lesser than anyone though just means I have some limitations due to the disability.

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2014, 8:02 pm

Sort of. I don't appear disabled on the outside, but my various mental health issues along with my ASD cause me a lot of difficulties. ASD is also technically considered a disability by government standards, and being that I was clinically diagnosed, I would legally be considered to have a disability.

I don't tell people that I'm disabled though, and I often say that my condition is a "difference, not a disability".

Alyosha
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

14 Sep 2014, 10:23 pm

i am disabled. even if just had my autism on its own i would definitely still be disabled. but comorbids make fuinctioning for me harder than it would be without them.

nuttyengineer
Toucan
Toucan

14 Sep 2014, 11:21 pm

I'm not really sure how to answer this. I'm not disabled in that I am able to live independently and would never qualify for any kind of disability services. However,I am disabled because a combination of my ASD and anxiety prevent me from being able to speak up for myself and my needs. I also have some sensory problems that can make it difficult for me to be in chaotic environments (i.e. anywhere where large numbers of people gather).

KingdomOfRats
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2014, 11:46 pm

nuttyengineer wrote:
I'm not really sure how to answer this. I'm not disabled in that I am able to live independently and would never qualify for any kind of disability services. However,I am disabled because a combination of my ASD and anxiety prevent me from being able to speak up for myself and my needs. I also have some sensory problems that can make it difficult for me to be in chaotic environments (i.e. anywhere where large numbers of people gather).

being disabled is about the impact ones long term [one year plus] impairments have in acessing any area of life/society, so living independantly is only one of many areas that peoples impairments can affect,lots of independant people are disabled so are by no means on own.
have a read about the different 'models' of disability AKA definitions,will probably find it very easy to relate to the social model of disability.
the model every one thinks of when they hear disability is the 'medical' model and it is now recognised as being outdated and incorrect-if the medical model represented disability then disabilities woud be cureable with operations or medications,ops only cure a minority of disabilities and meds only control some.

to part quote the UK governments page on disability;
Quote:
The social model of disability

We encourage the use of the social model as a way of understanding disability. It says that disability is created by barriers in society.

The barriers generally fall into 3 categories:

the environment ? including inaccessible buildings and services
people?s attitudes ? stereotyping, discrimination and prejudice
organisations ? inflexible policies, practices and procedures

https://www.gov.uk/government/policies/ ... disability

>>>help to keep bullying off our community,report it!

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2014, 11:58 pm

My autism is "moderate" but severe enough that am classified as disabled from it.
Then i have dyspraxia added to that.
Plus learning disability.
If even at 14 i was left at home alone it would be considered child endangerment.

nuttyengineer
Toucan
Toucan

15 Sep 2014, 12:00 am

KingdomOfRats wrote:
nuttyengineer wrote:

being disabled is about the impact ones long term [one year plus] impairments have in acessing any area of life/society, so living independantly is only one of many areas that peoples impairments can affect,lots of independant people are disabled so are by no means on own.
have a read about the different 'models' of disability AKA definitions,will probably find it very easy to relate to the social model of disability.
the model every one thinks of when they hear disability is the 'medical' model and it is now recognised as being outdated and incorrect-if the medical model represented disability then disabilities woud be cureable with operations or medications,ops only cure a minority of disabilities and meds only control some.

Yeah, I can definitely relate to the social model of disability. It's interesting how much the medical model of disability tends to be ingrained in my mind even though I know that there is much more to it than just having something noticeably wrong with you.