Confused Is Autism Speaks the 'bad' one or Autism Awareness

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

AspergersActor8693
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2014, 7:17 pm

Hoping someone can clarify this for me, but which is the one that looks at autism as a disease? Is it Autism Speaks or Autism Awareness? Is one better than the other or are both bad? Is there any organization that is respectable?

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2014, 8:12 pm

Autism Speaks definitely looks at autism as a "disease", though I'm not sure about Autism Awareness as I don't know if it is a separate organization or not.

AspieUtah
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2014, 8:13 pm

Autism Speaks is the notoriously hostile group. I would say that the Autistic Self Advocacy Network http://www.autisticadvocacy.org/ is a respectable group whose slogan is "nothing about us without us."

Diagnosed in 2015 with ASD Level 1 by the University of Utah Health Care Autism Spectrum Disorder Clinic using the ADOS-2 Module 4 assessment instrument [11/30] -- Screened in 2014 with ASD by using the University of Cambridge Autism Research Centre AQ (Adult) [43/50]; EQ-60 for adults [11/80]; FQ [43/135]; SQ (Adult) [130/150] self-reported screening inventories -- Assessed since 1978 with an estimated IQ [≈145] by several clinicians -- Contact on WrongPlanet.net by private message (PM)

KingdomOfRats
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2014, 9:31 pm

autism speaks doesnt want to let autistics speak-they really shoud be done for false advertising.
they continue to talk in a non neutral manner on our behalf, portraying us as invalids who have no thoughts or feelings in order to whip up sympathy and donations for their agenda.

autism awareness is not one organisation with one set belief,will find everyone represented from the pro cure to the anti cure,the parents and the autists themselves...its a movement of sorts and tends to feature more neutral and positive views of autism,compared to the resentful and anti autism feeling that AS gives off.

>>>help to keep bullying off our community,report it!

AspergersActor8693
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2014, 4:53 pm

So then autism awareness is the better one? I was looking for some kind of AS decal or magnet to put on my car and ones for these two had the most search results.

PlainsAspie
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2014, 6:58 pm

I don't know if there is an organization called "autism awareness". It's an umbrella term.

HDLMatchette
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

08 Feb 2015, 8:37 pm

Speaks is actually REALLY awful. they call autism a "health crisis" when it's the co-morbid, non-autistic conditions we have (i.e. emotional disorders that cause us to be violent, gastrointestinal problems, ect.) that make it the crisis as well as the fact that society is not very tolerant of us at all. you should try the Autism Society of America, they're the ones who first used the puzzle piece symbol in america in 1967.

emax10000
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

11 Feb 2015, 4:30 pm

AspergersActor8693 wrote:
So then autism awareness is the better one? I was looking for some kind of AS decal or magnet to put on my car and ones for these two had the most search results.

Autism awareness does not describe a specific advocacy group. it refers to a cultural phenomenon about increasing awareness of autism. It can either be very helpful or as disastrous as Autism speaks depending on what those who are part of this culture are advocating.

Anyone who is willing to categorize autistics as horrific rageaholics, which autism speaks seems to be at least sometimes willing to indulge, is part of the problem. Discussion of autistics that focuses first and foremost on categorizing them as needless burdens to everyone else is a fundamental issue as well. Around here families of autistics with a martyr complex have been discussed, and rightly ridiculed and lampooned, ad naseum. When autism awareness moves in the opposite direction of this it's great.

And autism awareness also must be able and willing to educate the public on what exactly has to be done so that autistics and NTs can meet each other half way and alert them to what is the most overlooked fact; when you meet one person with autism, you have met one person with autism, nothing more and nothing less. Autism speaks is the bad one because they at least seem to refuse to educate anyone on this.

Greenhat
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

12 Feb 2015, 8:43 am

Autism awareness is a varied movement, not a single organization. Some parts are awful, and some are awesome. I favor ASAN myself. Autism Speaks is an organization which preaches curebie ideas, hate, misinformation, and the prioritization of caretakers over autistics; they are a horrific organization.