Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

Mitrovah
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

16 Sep 2014, 4:05 pm

So at work, they are 4 people and 5 computers. They just hired two new people and I assume they are there to replace two of my coworkers who I heard the bosses complain have issues. I got a retention bonus and had really been doing well for 6 months until last week which was bad and stressful for me and now my bosses are kind of looking over shoulder, which I think means they think i can't handle the job anymore which is not true; I just had one bad week at work like anyone else would. They are now looking for a third new person. I can't imagine why they would be looking for a third person unless they plan to replace me or replace the new hiree. They have been discussing the issue openly in front of me, not to me but between themselves when I am within close earshot of our tiny office.

The thing is they are really nice and friendly to one of the people, my boss described as "f*****g weird" So they are the kind of two faced sort, not a in a mean way but sort of a Machiavellian.

Does this mean I may be getting the boot soon?

Last edited by Mitrovah on 16 Sep 2014, 4:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.

sacrip
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2014, 4:31 pm

If you ask, they'll do one of two things: say no ( which may be a lie) or fire you immediately because they won't let you work another minute if you know they're getting rid of you. Don't ask, just start looking now.

AspieUtah
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2014, 4:35 pm

I wouldn't ask because it would show them that you know something you shouldn't. However, try to perform better and meet your deadlines, but don't push yourself too much so that it causes you even more stress. Update your resume/CV and create a list of businesses with which you would like to work, just in case. If you trust any coworkers, ask them what they know about the situation. Don't say anything negative and provocative, and don't admit to knowing more than you should about what has been said. For now, just watch, ask and take notes.

Diagnosed in 2015 with ASD Level 1 by the University of Utah Health Care Autism Spectrum Disorder Clinic using the ADOS-2 Module 4 assessment instrument [11/30] -- Screened in 2014 with ASD by using the University of Cambridge Autism Research Centre AQ (Adult) [43/50]; EQ-60 for adults [11/80]; FQ [43/135]; SQ (Adult) [130/150] self-reported screening inventories -- Assessed since 1978 with an estimated IQ [≈145] by several clinicians -- Contact on WrongPlanet.net by private message (PM)

progaspie
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2014, 4:58 pm

The above advice is good. No one loses their job after one bad week, but fear of losing your job could start to affect your performance and draw your bosses attention to you. I wouldn't pay any attention to office gossip. Just buckle down and do you job. When you get time update your CV. Try to be on friendly terms with at least one of your bosses so that if at any time you do lose your job, if have a reference into the next job.

Mitrovah
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

16 Sep 2014, 5:24 pm

progaspie wrote:
The above advice is good. No one loses their job after one bad week, but fear of losing your job could start to affect your performance and draw your bosses attention to you. I wouldn't pay any attention to office gossip. Just buckle down and do you job. When you get time update your CV. Try to be on friendly terms with at least one of your bosses so that if at any time you do lose your job, if have a reference into the next job.

I only take a little comfort in the fact that the are openly discussing it in front of me.

eric76
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2014, 6:21 pm

Is there any possibility that they may be expanding instead of replacing?

Mitrovah
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

16 Sep 2014, 9:02 pm

eric76 wrote:
Is there any possibility that they may be expanding instead of replacing?

I can't imagine, we used to work the weekends but they are cutting those. Hardly anyone needs trouble shooting during the weekend.

MissDorkness
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2014, 12:29 pm

Mitrovah wrote:
progaspie wrote:

I only take a little comfort in the fact that the are openly discussing it in front of me.

I could take comfort from that.

I've done only a little hiring in the past, but, I've gotten hints when someone new wouldn't work out. We were always encouraged to give them 90 days, just in case it was nerves or poor initial training, but, I trusted my gut and started looking for a replacement and they'd almost always quit before their 90 days were up.

Mitrovah
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

17 Sep 2014, 2:02 pm

MissDorkness wrote:
Mitrovah wrote:
progaspie wrote:

I could take comfort from that.

I've done only a little hiring in the past, but, I've gotten hints when someone new wouldn't work out. We were always encouraged to give them 90 days, just in case it was nerves or poor initial training, but, I trusted my gut and started looking for a replacement and they'd almost always quit before their 90 days were up.

Could it mean they might be looking for someone to replace me? I assume their plan is to have them work a little bit and see if they are good enough to replace me?

I really am at a bit of a loss why they are interviewing a third person.

I'm just about ready to commit Hara-Kiri here

mattschwartz01
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

18 Sep 2014, 8:58 am

Do you know if they are ordering more computers and growing their staff? One bad week doesn't make the end. NTs have bad weeks too. I wouldn't jump to conclusions and let your thoughts ruminate too much. See how this plays out and continue to do the work to the best of your availability. IMHO, a boss describing his employee as "F*cking Weird" is highly inappropriate and unprofessional. I'm not sure I'd want to work there knowing this.

Adamantium
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2014, 12:50 pm

Mitrovah wrote:
Could it mean they might be looking for someone to replace me?

It could mean that, or it could mean that one of the new hires isn't working out as expected and they will retain you and two new people of the three new people they hired, letting go of the third new hire.

My experience is that I always worry about this kind of thing and it turns out not to be true, but then I am oblivious to other signals when I am in trouble. So I am undone by pessimism and catastrophizing on one side and by a failure to pick up on other kinds of negative feedback on the other.

What seems to make sense is to prepare for the worst, but be ready for other, better outcomes.

Mitrovah
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

19 Sep 2014, 2:10 pm

So Here is an update, I seem to been caught in a vicious cycle for the 2nd week. The call I referred to seems to have put a Hex on me or to that effect. I though to myself: "the weekend I can decompress and next week will be better". But I seem to be getting worse, spiraling further and further. Yesterday I was supposed to send a mass e-mail I put all the names in the "TO" field instead of BCC. Not a huge mistake but stupid nonetheless.

I did make a huge mistake but it was fixed nonetheless but created a bit of drama between two coworkers.

The only variables that have really changed since that last call is the dosage of meds which is now 100mg of straterra which actually has dulled the physiological response to anxiety. It has improved my listening skills on the phone but I am not getting anxious which was the period when I was actually doing well.

I keep trying to tell myself: it will get better, but its are not. I really want to talk to one of female my family members but I keep remembering they totally flip out on me instead of just calmly listening and responding. I meet with my AS group last weekend and the same thing happened. A female started to stare me down and raised her voice when she was talking . JESUS what why can't I get a calm response from anyone. nowadays. Seeing a therapist is out