accountability and coffee (input needed)

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

LocksAndLiqueur
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

17 Sep 2014, 4:26 pm

I was talking with a man the other day. He's the owner f a local coffee shop as well as an administrator at a nearby government facility. We each have a high level of respect for each other and I feel really good about that considering we've only know each other for a couple years.

I asked him why only certain people in the facility are allowed to use the coffee machine and he explained to me that since we just have a normal home coffee maker, we could only produce enough coffee for a relatively small percentage of the people here and so it was determined that only those of exceptionally high standing here are allowed to use the coffee maker.

I asked him if I could bring in my own coffee maker for personal use and to make coffee to share with my friends and he explained that not just any coffee maker would do. The fire marshal would have to come in and approve of it. He added that he's prohibited from having a coffee maker in his office, but the fire marshal did approve of his electric tea kettle.

He did mention that he'd be willing to donate an old commercial machine from his coffee shop for the use of myself and my peers if I could work out the logistics of it all so that we made a bit of money off of it. I have it pretty well worked out and talked with him about it again today, but he pointed out that I had no system for keeping people accountable if they were to steal money from the coffee stand.

So, my question to you is this: How do I make sure the person working the stand can't get away with stealing money from the lock box?

Meistersinger
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2014, 8:02 pm

LocksAndLiqueur wrote:
I was talking with a man the other day. He's the owner f a local coffee shop as well as an administrator at a nearby government facility. We each have a high level of respect for each other and I feel really good about that considering we've only know each other for a couple years.

I asked him why only certain people in the facility are allowed to use the coffee machine and he explained to me that since we just have a normal home coffee maker, we could only produce enough coffee for a relatively small percentage of the people here and so it was determined that only those of exceptionally high standing here are allowed to use the coffee maker.

I asked him if I could bring in my own coffee maker for personal use and to make coffee to share with my friends and he explained that not just any coffee maker would do. The fire marshal would have to come in and approve of it. He added that he's prohibited from having a coffee maker in his office, but the fire marshal did approve of his electric tea kettle.

He did mention that he'd be willing to donate an old commercial machine from his coffee shop for the use of myself and my peers if I could work out the logistics of it all so that we made a bit of money off of it. I have it pretty well worked out and talked with him about it again today, but he pointed out that I had no system for keeping people accountable if they were to steal money from the coffee stand.

So, my question to you is this: How do I make sure the person working the stand can't get away with stealing money from the lock box?

You would do what most businesses would do: have the person working the stand do daily accounting of business generated.

zer0netgain
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2014, 5:30 am

You would also need someone willing to be legally accountable should the total fall short. This way the bill is always paid and it's up to the guarantor of the debt to ensure nobody is getting a free ride.