Specific Query on Differences Between Types of Autism

Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

Statto
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

19 Sep 2014, 8:31 am

I have a specific question on this as I want to make sure I understand this correctly. I also wonder if it is one of those differences between how countries define the difference between Classic autism (is that the right term?) and Aspergers.

I went to a seminar where the keynote speaker was an ASD expert who themselves is a high functioning autistic person. I'm embarrassed to say I forget her name but she is very highly regarded and a couple of people even came over from Norway to listen to her speak. She explained two key differences. The first was that someone with Asperger's had a strong desire for social interaction and social acceptance, whereas someone with classical autism, as she called it, didn't have that same desire/need.

The second point was with regards to self-esteem and how for it was important to understand the difference with how someone with Asperger's versus classic autism would respond to criticism. She explained that someone with classic autism would take being told for example that a piece of art was rubbish in a rather matter-of-fact fashion, perhaps learn from it and then move on. However someone with Asperger's would be crushed by being told a piece of art was rubbish and that much more sensitive approach to the critique would be required.

Does that ring true at all? It's not something I'd want to get wrong and at least I want to appreciate any differences between how this is defined in different countries.

Alyosha
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

19 Sep 2014, 9:27 am

dx'd classic autistic here and i wouldn't say it seems that true to me.

mostly because i know people diagnosed with aspergers who take criticsm as somewhat straightforward, and dont want that much interaction. and i know diagnosed classic autism people who are the opposite.

personally i want interact sometimes when i remembr it is a thing that can happpen and it can happen in a way i like it. i don't know how i takr ciristicm

Jensen
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2014, 12:35 pm

I´m dxéd with apergers, and I fit her description well.
I have, with age, become less vulnerable to critisism, - thank God.
As a younger person, I had a deep desire for social acceptance and contact.
That has worn off a bit too.

btbnnyr
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2014, 12:48 pm

I'm not sure how generally true these are, but they are true for me.
I don't have much desire for social interaction, and I am not much sensitive to criticism, probably less so than NTs.
One of the potential differences I am looking at in research is implicit social cognition.
Based on results, I think that AS may have higher level of implicit social cognition than HFA, more of a social instinct that drives behaviors, distinct from desire for social interaction.

sharkattack
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2014, 12:51 pm

btbnnyr I have always wanted to say this to you.

I don't get the whole cat thing on here but you have the cutest looking cat of them all.

Look at it's chubby little cheeks. :lol:

btbnnyr
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2014, 1:05 pm

sharkattack wrote:

I don't get the whole cat thing on here but you have the cutest looking cat of them all.

Thank you, I love my catatar.

Look at its little pink nose.

sharkattack
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2014, 1:39 pm

btbnnyr wrote:
sharkattack wrote:

Thank you, I love my catatar.

Look at its little pink nose.

Purrfect Maow. :lol:

Edenthiel
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2014, 2:07 pm

(OT warning)

sharkattack wrote:
I don't get the whole cat thing on here

Could it be b/c cats are Aspies like dogs are ADHD?

InThisTogether
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2014, 2:56 pm

Statto wrote:
I have a specific question on this as I want to make sure I understand this correctly. I also wonder if it is one of those differences between how countries define the difference between Classic autism (is that the right term?) and Aspergers.

I went to a seminar where the keynote speaker was an ASD expert who themselves is a high functioning autistic person. I'm embarrassed to say I forget her name but she is very highly regarded and a couple of people even came over from Norway to listen to her speak. She explained two key differences. The first was that someone with Asperger's had a strong desire for social interaction and social acceptance, whereas someone with classical autism, as she called it, didn't have that same desire/need.

The second point was with regards to self-esteem and how for it was important to understand the difference with how someone with Asperger's versus classic autism would respond to criticism. She explained that someone with classic autism would take being told for example that a piece of art was rubbish in a rather matter-of-fact fashion, perhaps learn from it and then move on. However someone with Asperger's would be crushed by being told a piece of art was rubbish and that much more sensitive approach to the critique would be required.

Does that ring true at all? It's not something I'd want to get wrong and at least I want to appreciate any differences between how this is defined in different countries.

None of this is true in my household. My kid who would be more appropriately termed "classic autism" isn't lacking in a desire/need for social acceptance. I would say, however, that she is satisfied by much more superficial interactions than her brother. But she does want friends and hope for social acceptance. But what she considers "friends" and "social acceptance" is far less than what most people would consider. And my son does not have a "strong desire" for social interaction or social acceptance. But he does highly value the few friends he has, maybe even more so than someone with a strong desire for social interaction.

My "classic" kid is devastated by criticism. In fact, she sees criticism even when people are simply stating a fact that holds no value judgment whatsoever. If you told her that her art was rubbish, she might never forgive you. My son, however, would be upset by the feedback, but would move past it fairly quickly.

Granted, neither of my kids fits neatly into any kind of diagnostic box. But I would say the two examples you shared have just as much to do with general temperament as they do with where on the spectrum someone falls.

Zajie
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2014, 3:02 pm

From reading it i think im asperger

Rocket123
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2014, 4:44 pm

I am diagnosed with Aspergers.

Statto wrote:
She explained two key differences. The first was that someone with Asperger's had a strong desire for social interaction and social acceptance, whereas someone with classical autism, as she called it, didn't have that same desire/need.

Both apply for me, albeit at different stages in my life. When I was younger, I had a desire for social interaction and social acceptance. As an adult, I realized that I was not good at social interaction, but was envious of others who were good at it. Now, I realize that I will never get good at it and no longer desire it.

Statto wrote:

Neither applies for me. When I produce something (since I don?t produce artwork, I will use a work deliverable as an example), I make certain that it is perfect (from my perspective, of course). If someone criticizes my work, I will explain to them why I produced it the way I did. If they continue to criticize, I will redo it according to their liking.

Statto

19 Sep 2014, 8:00 pm

Thanks all. I find getting all your different perspectives very helpful, firstly in wanting to know more to help my kids of course. However secondly I'm starting to take steps to do something more tangible to promote better ASD awareness and understanding in mainstream schools in my area in the UK. As well as obviously wanting to get things right I don't want to be telling people the wrong things as that can be damaging.

I thought this was something I understood, but over the last week or so I Started to doubt these two things as being facts. Your answers pretty much confirm those doubts. It seems more like an expert opinion coming up with some sort of generality or best fit. Mostly though, it once again confirms ASD isn't something you can tidy away neatly in the same box each time.

DevilKisses
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2014, 9:53 pm

I disagree with this. I was originally diagnosed with classic autism, but I definitely care about social acceptance and I have this extreme phobia of being criticized. I'm not even sure if I'm really on the spectrum to begin with, but that's another story.