Cyber school for Middle school? (6, 7 & 8)

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

the3smos
Butterfly
Butterfly

04 Mar 2007, 8:52 pm

Hi - would love input on pros and cons of cyber school for my high functioning, academically advanced, beautiful boy with aspergers. The alternative is a very large (1100 kids) 6, 7, 8th grade school, with a part or full time aide, with lockers, tons of books, crowded hallways, 3 minutes between classes, crazy cafeteria. If you had your choice when you were younger - would you attend a traditional middle school? High school? Is a certain amount of middle school craziness "good for" AS kids? As a AS parent and an undiagnosed asperger myself, I don't want to cloud our decision with MY problems with middle and high school. Thanks for any help.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2007, 8:54 pm

What's a cyber school?

Tim

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

the3smos
Butterfly
Butterfly

04 Mar 2007, 9:04 pm

sorry about that - cyber school is school provided over the computer in your home, along with books, materials, some field trips, etc. Some classes are in "live time", some can be accessed 24/7. Work can be done ahead, any hours, days, etc. Sort of like homeschooling, but the charter school provides all studies.

PrisonerSix
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2007, 1:27 pm

the3smos wrote:
Hi - would love input on pros and cons of cyber school for my high functioning, academically advanced, beautiful boy with aspergers. The alternative is a very large (1100 kids) 6, 7, 8th grade school, with a part or full time aide, with lockers, tons of books, crowded hallways, 3 minutes between classes, crazy cafeteria. If you had your choice when you were younger - would you attend a traditional middle school? High school? Is a certain amount of middle school craziness "good for" AS kids? As a AS parent and an undiagnosed asperger myself, I don't want to cloud our decision with MY problems with middle and high school. Thanks for any help.

I had the choice, I would have preferred a cyber school not just for middle school, but high school as well. Your child will be able work more on his schedule and not have to deal with the distractions of school which if you read my post in the General forum about school, not only happen at school but spill over into home as well.

Sounds like they give him a structured curriculum, lessons, etc. to follow which is a good thing. The fact there are even field trips sounds great too. The only thing I'd be concerned about is if he has trouble in a subject, do they provide extra help in the form of tutoring or at least a teacher to talk to to give help? Also, is this curriculum state approved? That could play into it if he decides to try regular school again or try to go to college in the future.

I wish I could shake your hand right now. Instead of seeing your son is being defective as my parents saw me, you are seeing him as something unique who has alot to offer the world. Good job.

"I am not a number, I am a free man!"

Wormy
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

24 Apr 2007, 9:46 pm

the3smos wrote:
sorry about that - cyber school is school provided over the computer in your home, along with books, materials, some field trips, etc. Some classes are in "live time", some can be accessed 24/7. Work can be done ahead, any hours, days, etc. Sort of like homeschooling, but the charter school provides all studies.

AWESOME!! !! !
I WANT TO GET CYBER SCHOOLED!! !! !! !! !! !! !! !