Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2014, 2:52 pm

I mean cold as in a virus, not a weather cycle.

So my partner randomly got a common cold a few weeks ago, which at first he put down to hay fever, then realised it was a cold. It was only mild for him, but 3 days later I caught it, and it seemed to hit me worse than it did him. Being so we both assumed that he won't catch mine because he already had it, I slept over his when I still had the cold (because I wanted his comfort). Then three days later HE caught it (again?), and he was really poorly with it and is just about over the cough now. But then my mum caught a cold (probably off of one of us), and I didn't mind looking after her because I assumed I won't catch it again. But now I'M suffering with a cold again, but I am not as unwell as I was last time, I just have an uncomfortable nose and keep sneezing and coughing. I have been with my boyfriend all week-end, before I knew I was getting another cold, and now I'm hoping he doesn't catch it once again, otherwise we would go on forever with a cold, unless we stay away from each other for over a week, but I will then miss him a lot.

Will we eventually become immune to this cold we keep on passing around, or will we keep catching each other's cold unless we stay away from each other until neither of us or anybody else in our families have it? I am sick and tired of having colds (if you'll pardon the pun).

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2014, 5:05 pm

It's been over a year-and-a-half since I had anything that was similar to a cold. In fact I'm feeling anxious that if I don't get one soon I will come down with something worse like the flu, because I read somewhere that people who hardly ever get sick are more likely to get seriously ill when they do, and because with my luck it will happen during or just before a holiday like Thanksgiving or Halloween. I used to get a ton of colds when I was younger and lived in homes with other people and when I first moved out into my own apartment, so maybe I've become more resistant?

cathylynn
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2014, 9:44 pm

there are 300 different cold viruses. you're likely getting a different one each time rather than catching the same cold you've built up immunity against.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2014, 3:06 pm

So we won't keep on passing the same cold to each other through kissing?

I don't know why I'm so run down lately. I'm normally pretty healthy. I eat a lot of fruit and meats, have plenty of sleep, and I have an active job so I get enough exercise, also I walk a lot too. So I don't know why I keep catching colds.