"Big Bang Theory" tonight, double episode new seas

Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 

AardvarkGoodSwimmer
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2014, 5:16 pm

For those of us living in the United States, for most of our fellow citizens, the TV show "The Big Bang Theory" is Spectrum awareness and appreciation.

I think we should take a deep breath and try and turn it into a positive. For example, maybe something like "and a person shouldn't have to be a brilliant professor to be treated with respect and courtesy, now should they?" said goodnaturedly and with a little sparkle in the voice, this is a good beginning to a brief to medium conversation.

And I would recommend keeping it on the brief side. Be happy maybe giving people a little bit to think about.

I myself have not had the greatest of luck coming out of the closet so to speak. People tend to think, well, obviously I'm not autistic since I can speak, and thus I must have something else really wrong with me which is scary. And so people have shied away.

I've started to experiment with "Now you've probably heard that autism is a spectrum which blurs from quote normal all the way to nonverbal, although perhaps very communicative in other ways. . . "

I very much encourage people to disclose in ways and times of your own choosing. And if you choose to disclose, please keep in mind that it probably will be in the nature of on experiment. People are just too unpredictable, ourselves fully included! :jester:

AspieUtah
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2014, 5:55 pm

I don't know if I need to come out (yet again, but for Aspie-osity this time). After all, when I was working in Silicon Valley years ago, people were always saying that I looked and acted like Lt. Commander Data from Star Trek: The Next Generation. That surprised me. Now, I realize that they probably filled in my various similar mannerisms (all unintended, I promise) with the vague resemblance I have with Brent Spiner (even now).

Regardless, I believe that Sheldon Cooper from The Big Bang Theory is pretty much an updated Data (who was, himself, an updated Mr. Spock for Star Trek). I love The Big Bang Theory almost as much as BBC Sherlock. The only downside is that my sisters want me to act more like Sheldon. Pffft!

So yeah, I don't think many people are left wondering about me.

Diagnosed in 2015 with ASD Level 1 by the University of Utah Health Care Autism Spectrum Disorder Clinic using the ADOS-2 Module 4 assessment instrument [11/30] -- Screened in 2014 with ASD by using the University of Cambridge Autism Research Centre AQ (Adult) [43/50]; EQ-60 for adults [11/80]; FQ [43/135]; SQ (Adult) [130/150] self-reported screening inventories -- Assessed since 1978 with an estimated IQ [≈145] by several clinicians -- Contact on WrongPlanet.net by private message (PM)