Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

beneficii
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2014, 12:50 pm

I'm dealing with a bad bat of constipation right now. I wonder if it's the meds. I've been eating fibrous foods and drinking lots of water, but nothing comes. I try exercise, like jumping jacks, and I can feel the fecal matter inside my bowels as I do it, but nothing comes out. I've been taking stool softeners and GentleLax (a store-brand form of MiraLax), but to no effect either. At most I can only get a little bit out.

I wonder if it's the meds, like the quetiapine and the escitalopram, that are combining to cause it.

calstar2
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

24 Sep 2014, 1:35 pm

I wouldn't be surprised if it was the meds. If it starts causing you a lot of pain, you might want to go ahead and do an enema.

beneficii
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2014, 2:09 pm

calstar2 wrote:
I wouldn't be surprised if it was the meds. If it starts causing you a lot of pain, you might want to go ahead and do an enema.

The bowel movements, which produced very little, have been painful in the my lower stomach. I hope I don't have to get an enema, though.

beneficii
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2014, 2:43 pm

We think it's the Lexapro causing the constipation. I just took some milk of magnesia and I am going to switch over to Prozac.

zer0netgain
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2014, 4:48 am

Water is the primary lubricant of the intestines. Drink plenty of water. Dehydration = constipation.

Careful with some products. They are intended to stop diarrhea, and they don't really help you to go.

Also look at diet. If your meds lead to constipation, you might need to eat things that promote healthy bowel movements to compensate for how the drug affects your regular habits.

jk1
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2014, 5:33 am

Metamucil or simple psyllium husk (80-90% dietary fiber) with a lot of water should help. It's 10 times as much dietary fiber as normal high-fiber foods (such as high-fiber bread etc).

Yuzu
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2014, 7:17 am

A lot of meds, even ibuprofen are supposed to affect the good bacteria in your gut. Also they just found out that artificial sweetners are bad for your gut flora too.

Try drinking green juice. Eat lots of sautéd spinach with good amount of olive oil.
Green leafy vegetables are good for micro sweeping your intestants.
Also, bananas. They have oligosaccharide, a kind of sugar which is food for beneficial bactria.
If you can get good probiotic pills that'll be better than laxative.
If it becomes too severe that you're in pain, go to the doctor.

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2017, 11:44 pm

"Water is the primary lubricant of the intestines. Drink plenty of water. Dehydration = constipation.

Careful with some products. They are intended to stop diarrhea, and they don't really help you to go.

Also look at diet. If your meds lead to constipation, you might need to eat things that promote healthy bowel movements to compensate for how the drug affects your regular habits."

for over one year. almost every day I drank 5 liters of water. 34 years old, 5'3, fewer than 110#. every day, eat 9 or more total servings of fruit and veg. mostly veg.

almost every day, 2-3 bowel movements. the shortest takes 30 minutes. the longest it has ever taken, thus far, and still produced something, about 2 hour 10 minutes.

sometimes, I give up. b/c someone is impatiently banging on the door, I have to go somewhere, I have to do something, or I just get tired or bored of sitting there. reading a book only entertains so much.

but usually it takes 1 hour.

this year, I have taken laxatives and stool softeners. neither one had good or bad effects. but the directions say do not take them for over one week or so. besides they cost money. so quit.

and it's gotten to the point where it's hard to do much of anything when I have to waste so much time around a toilet. likewise, I have to plan where I am going to go around how many toilets there will be.

schools and large shopping malls are good. schools are the best. you do not have to enter and exit in a timely manner and make a purchase. :roll:

yesterday, at Ross, after 40 minutes of sitting in the mens bathroom, nothing. someone came and asked "are you ok?". nobody knocked me out the bathroom. but I got anxious anyways. and ended up moving to Home Goods.

sunday, Starbucks called the security guard. 20 minutes. nothing. she asked "are you ok". yes. she asked if I knew how much longer it would take. so answered no. so I left.

read the medication side effect list. see if constipation is on it.

see a doctor

here are some stores that have told me off:

Nordstrom. told me I took over one hour. he asked if I was ok. he told me I was sleeping. (that was incorrect.) he told me I was not allowed.

food maxx. for a long time, went almost every day. then one day, some boy started turning off the lights, slamming the door. when I came out, there were @ least 4 employees @ the doorway. someone had the nerve to tell me "you need to leave". food maxx is the closest bathroom to my jail cell. and it opens 6am so that is convenient. so I am too intimidated to go back there.

Walmart. told me that customers were "worried about you". and made me leave.

Tuesday Morning. called security. she gave me a disgusted look on the way out. like I raped someone.

Performance Bikes. he screamed and banged on the door. he told me he would phone 911 and make it forcibly remove me. he had the nerve to tell me never to come back again. an employee told me I could use the bathroom. the bathroom was in the employee only area. so maybe he did not know someone else told me I could use the bathroom. it did not occur to me to tell him. but doubt he would've believed me or cared if I did.

Petco. told me that I "need" to leave the bathroom. after 30 minutes. and after that on other days, went for much longer. 90 minutes. nobody said anything.

bed bath and beyond. knocked me out the bathroom. 40 minutes. but after that, many times, went for much longer.

ross asked if I was ok.

:roll: :twisted: :evil:

when someone tells me off, it makes me more anxious. anxiety induces and exacerbates constipation.

a vicious cycle

why won't idiots just leave me alone? I did not do anything illegal. don't they have better things to do?