Page 1 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

victorytea
Raven
Raven

25 Sep 2014, 6:21 pm

Has anyone tried essential oils to help their child. Caleb has real difficulty focusing and we really would like to avoid psychiatric meds- we love his personality. We are going to try everything else first- any help would be greatly appreciated. Paul

PlainsAspie
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2014, 6:38 pm

It is understandable to be hesitant about psychiatric meds, as everything has risks. However, keep in mind that alternatives like aromatherapy aren't guaranteed to be 100% safe either. In fact, they aren't regulated at all for therapeutic use.

YippySkippy
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2014, 7:10 pm

Could backfire if he's not fond of strong perfumes.
Lavender is supposed to be soothing, but it makes me feel ill. :eew:

victorytea
Raven
Raven

25 Sep 2014, 7:45 pm

I know everything has risks but there are some real horror stories about children and psyche meds. My wife and I both work in the field and meds for children seem to be way over prescribed. Much of the time they are used to placate disfunctional parents. I would like to hear from parents who have actually tried alternatives and what the outcome was. Paul

AspE
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2014, 9:19 pm

How is a smell supposed to help someone focus? What's so great about focusing anyway?

Who_Am_I
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2014, 10:57 pm

AspE wrote:
How is a smell supposed to help someone focus? What's so great about focusing anyway?

Being able to get stuff done without being distracted by every little thing that catches your attention?

Deceptive cadence: V- ANYTHING BUT I ! !! !
Beethoven cadence: V-I-V-I-V-V-V-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I
-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I! I! I! I I I

voleregard
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

Location: A magical place without backup warning beepers or leaf blowers

25 Sep 2014, 11:11 pm

I can't comment on using essential oils (EO's) on a child, victorytea, but if I may share my own experience, I have used them on myself: InTune from DoTerra, for one. You might try a search for parent stories using the name of that product, since it was developed to address focus issues with ADHD type conditions.

My use of EO's is done in association with a whole lifestyle of healthy eating, supplementation, and other natural therapies. No matter how good an oil may be, the damaging effect of a multitude of synthetic food ingredients, possible food allergens, and toxic environments may be more than a good oil can overcome.

I know one practitioner who has seen an autistic child speak for the first time to the amazement of the parents after the child spent 10 minutes in a house with EMF (electro-magnetic field) remediation. <disclaimer>It would have to be tested before knowing a cause-effect relationship for certain,<end disclaimer> but EMF remediation is part of my lifestyle.

As YippySkippy alludes to, some oils can have strong adverse effects which could be caused by adulteration. Thinning the product or adulterating it with petrochemicals is common in the industry. I started using oils with a Lavender oil from a local store, and after getting pure French Lavender, there's no comparison between the two? well, there is, but if you compare, the first smells like brake fluid compared to the second.

I will add that pure oils can have a strong and dramatic effect, and should therefore be researched and applied carefully. The idea that they're just flowery smells they use in perfume can be misleading and potentially cause someone not to handle them with the care with which they should be.

Here's an article about how one of the early developers of modern EO's used Lavender portraying their strong potential: http://roberttisserand.com/2011/04/gattefosses-burn/

"I'm not shy? I just can't think of anything to say."

RocketMom
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

26 Sep 2014, 1:08 am

We use EOs on a regular basis is our home. Balance and InTune blends work well for myself and Lavender helps my son sleep. We use others for ailments (stomach ache, headache, etc). I agree with PP that not all lavender is the same. Most smell bad and are cut with fillers. DoTerra and Young Living are two high quality brands.

YippySkippy
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2014, 6:56 am

Quote:
Thinning the product or adulterating it with petrochemicals is common in the industry. I started using oils with a Lavender oil from a local store, and after getting pure French Lavender, there's no comparison between the two? well, there is, but if you compare, the first smells like brake fluid compared to the second.

Interesting. Perhaps it's the chemicals making me sick, and not the lavender.

AspE
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2014, 7:59 am

Who_Am_I wrote:
AspE wrote:

Being able to get stuff done without being distracted by every little thing that catches your attention?

What's so great about getting stuff done?

Odetta
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

26 Sep 2014, 8:54 am

AspE, employers typically hire people who can get their work done, and fire people who don't. Being employed means you generate income, which helps you fund eating and putting a roof over your head for when it rains. Otherwise, nothing really important.

AspE
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2014, 9:06 am

We are talking about children here.

ASDMommyASDKid
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2014, 9:44 am

AspE wrote:
We are talking about children here.

Schools expect children to get things done, like it or not.

victorytea
Raven
Raven

26 Sep 2014, 9:53 am

Focus helps a child to not put his pants on backward nor his shirt. It helps a child verbally so that he can share ideas with others. It helps him to fix food on his plate the way he likes it. It helps him find his way around school. It helps him to ride a bicycle. It helps him to be quiet in school and in church .It helps him to play games with other children and ,lastly, it helps him to make logical statements on a computer. Paul

Who_Am_I
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2014, 7:16 pm

AspE wrote:
Who_Am_I wrote:
AspE wrote:

What's so great about getting stuff done?

Well, if you don't learn to get stuff done by the time you're an adult, stuff like preparing meals and getting grocery shopping done is hard.
Another thing that's great is the sense of achievement you get from setting yourself a goal and actually completing it. I guess that can be done in 5-minute bursts, but it seems much slower than being able to focus for decent amounts of time.

Deceptive cadence: V- ANYTHING BUT I ! !! !
Beethoven cadence: V-I-V-I-V-V-V-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I
-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I! I! I! I I I

Schneekugel
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2014, 5:33 am

I´d say it is about the middle. You should be able to focus on the stuff, that you yourself are interested to focus on. So I am able to do my groceries, shopping and job, however: It still happens to me, that I put my shirt on the wrong way. ^^