Have people said you look angry (when you're not)?

Page 3 of 4 [ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

psot2
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

27 Sep 2014, 8:56 am

People always think I'm upset when I'm not. Otherwise they just think I'm very deep in thought/serious (I guess most of the time I am very deep in thought).

Deb1970
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2014, 9:50 pm

I crinkle my forehead most of the time and my eyes drop. I guess this makes me look angry. My mouth also looks like an upside down smile when I'm relaxed. I'm tired allot of the time due to a life time of poor sleeping patterns. It has had an effect on how my face is aging.

- Edgar Allan Poe -

crystalc1973

28 Sep 2014, 12:53 am

I was also bugged by people telling me stuff like "smile" starting at about age 10 and accused of looking angry countless times since then right up until the present day. I too thought it was just me, so it's interesting to learn that it was likely due to my being an aspie. Smiling has never come naturally for me except when something is truly funny or makes me happy. Even at the age of 10 I thought it was stupid to insist someone smile because that would make them look like a simpleton, besides I had very little to smile about, being picked on at school almost daily and even teased and judged by my own family so it struck me as incredibly ignorant for people to say things like that.

DarkAscent
Toucan
Toucan

22 Oct 2014, 7:17 am

I have been told that I look angry when I'm not. A few weeks ago, I was eating dinner with my classmates and they thought that I was crying when I wasn't. I was actually happy at the time.

I'm often unaware of the face expressions that I pull.

Tizerize
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

22 Oct 2014, 7:19 am

I can be happily looking at trees out of a bus or car window and be told i look miserable; i can be scared and on the verge of tears and be told i look angry ...how such nt's can have a go at me for not understanding their facial expressions i don't know. And what kind of made up nonsense is "tacit" ?!

Last edited by Tizerize on 22 Oct 2014, 7:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tizerize
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

22 Oct 2014, 1:47 pm

AND... I hate it when 'well meaning' people tell me to smile, especially when i've had a very taxing day / week...

little_blue_jay wrote:
I feel like saying "I'm not sad, I'm tired! I have Chronic Fatigue Syndrome..."

...unfortunately, if i'm that knackered i can't think of a decent response straight away, so i try to ignore them and just hope they'll go away!

L_Holmes wrote:
...when I am right on the verge of having a meltdown but barely holding together, I apparently look pretty calm, as no one ever says anything then.

That's similar to what happens to me when my brain is so far beyond fried that i give up trying to reason with people ...but i think some of those people only leave me alone at such times coz they like to believe they've 'improved' my attitude ~ i suspect this becoz when i've recovered and they've tried to walk all over me again they're as surprised by my self-defensiveness as i am by their [apparently endless] disrespect. NB: these are mostly service providers, not people i can avoid.

Raleigh wrote:
I tend to laugh when someone gets angry, which could prove dangerous if you laugh ['at'] the wrong kind of person. It's a nervous reaction.

I think there's a big difference between a little surprised laugh (someone nervously laughing at / to themself in an awkward situation), and an "i think this is hilarious" type of laugh (from a spiteful person who has said / done something mean and thinks you're crazy for wanting them to be sorry). And if someone laughs hysterically when nothing funny has happened, or when something bad has happened, there's a chance they've misunderstood the matter or that their mind has wandered, so people should be worried about them not angry with them.