Page 2 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2014, 7:49 pm

YourMum wrote:
LKL wrote:
The word you're looking for is 'hypocritical.'

That would be the plainest way of saying it, but the point is that he believes he occupies the moral high ground when in fact he is subject to the same flawed process as those he opposes (intolerance). In this sense, he is lying to himself.

Again, am I moral by withholding judgement on despicable people?

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2014, 7:50 pm

YourMum wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
YourMum wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
I'm intolerant of the intolerant.

Then you're lying to yourself.

I am not. Am I to be tolerant of white supremacists? Or of Muslim extremists? I count these Jewish radicals as no different from the other purveyors of intolerance, and am intolerant of them for that reason. If that makes me a bad person in your book, then so be it, but I'm not going to look the other way when it comes to those who reject tolerance.

You can refuse to tolerate them, but then you can't honestly call yourself tolerant. All you can do is argue that tolerance is only virtuous according to its context, and that means that when the context is your own it bears no 'objective' moral relevance to those you oppose.

I admit I'm intolerant of the intolerant.

Cash__
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2014, 8:31 pm

Israeli13 wrote:
You need to respect their religion and wishes. Especially with EL-AL being a jewish israeli airline. They should put measures in place for ultra orthodox people

No. If someone is in a religion with whacky beliefs, the onus is on them to make arrangements for it. I, as a neutral third party, shouldn't be expected to make concessions for everyone's whacky beliefs.

What if I believed I should only fly alone. Does that mean that every other passenger should "respect my beliefs and wishes " and concede to me and get off the plane? of course not.

If his religion has whacky beliefs about who he should or shouldn't sit next to, then he should buy extra tickets next time and make arrangements for his beliefs.

If I ever fly this airline, I am going to bring a big bag of bacon to eat and as you state I will expect them to "respect my beliefs and wishes" and watch me eat it.