Why didn't many people like this Facebook status?

Page 1 of 3 [ 37 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

iluvgod
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

26 Sep 2014, 3:44 pm

I recently posted a status about how I would be returning to New York to visit some college friends and only got 5 likes on my status. I was absolutely beyond insulted. 5 likes??? Are you kidding? I'd think I'd get alot more likes on a status like that. I have alot of friends there, but seriously,, who the heck only gets 5 likes on any status? I posted this status at 1pm, so I don't know if the timing was off. But why would I post a good status like that and hardly get a like on it. I'd think my friends would be happy to see me

calstar2
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

26 Sep 2014, 3:46 pm

How many likes do you normally get? 1pm is a time when most would be at work, I'd assume.

iluvgod
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

26 Sep 2014, 3:48 pm

I usually get a bit more than that. At least 10 on average

Uprising
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2014, 3:52 pm

Did you make a lot of status posts before where you got way more likes?

Because I have to agree that 5 likes is not really something I would feel great with either.

This is why I removed my own facebook account 6 years ago if you want my honest opinion.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2014, 4:34 pm

LOL

Nobody would give a rat's butt about my status!

I don't believe I've ever gotten a "like," unless I've said something witty or pertinent or something.

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2014, 4:34 pm

That's because five people clicked a button. Or because a server estimated they might and clicked it for them. Probably a combination of both possibilities. Facebook is immaterial and represents private interests experimenting with how much influence they can exert over people's minds before they choose to socialize IRL.

-Gem Tos :mrgreen:

Rocket123
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2014, 5:05 pm

This makes me glad that I don?t use facebook (I do have an account, but never post). The last thing I need is one more thing to worry about.

starkid
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2014, 5:14 pm

Because they were busy doing something more important?

progaspie
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2014, 5:36 pm

You know the world is stuffed when popularity is measured by Facebook status.

sly279
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2014, 6:26 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
LOL

Nobody would give a rat's butt about my status!

I don't believe I've ever gotten a "like," unless I've said something witty or pertinent or something.

I too almost never get likes.

downbutnotout
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2014, 6:36 pm

Why worry yourself so much about what did or didn't catch everyone's eye on a social network? Is a status update really worth that? Maybe they didn't see it, the statement didn't resonate with them, or they figured it wouldn't matter whether or not they liked it.

Social media seems to be making a lot of people sick with worry and attached by the hip to their phones and computers. If they're not miserable that everyone else's (cherry-picked) photos seem better than their own life, it's something else to do with the constant stimulation and attention...

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2014, 6:55 pm

progaspie wrote:
You know the world is stuffed when popularity is measured by Facebook status.

I think Facebook is in the middle of of the same cycle which ate up Yahoo and MSN.com; they monopolize people's situational awareness under the guise of improving everyone's lives until their transgressions pile up and people realize they have more interesting ways of their own to spend time.

-Gem Tos :mrgreen:

VegetableMan
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2014, 7:10 pm

To tell you the truth, all this liking Bullsh*t on Facebook is irritating. I rarely "like" a status update unless it's something informative or exceptionally amusing. Honestly, why would I waste time liking a post by someone telling me their weekend plans? Sorry, the minutia of people's lives just isn't that interesting.

The only reason I stay on that stupid site is for the meaningful conversations I have with a handful of friends. The rest of it -- the cute animal videos, stupid quiz results, and long-winded updates containing far too much information about someone's latest medical issue -- is just pure sh*t!

Oscar Meyer Lansky

Who_Am_I
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2014, 7:27 pm

5 likes is good for my statuses. Stop being so insecure.

Deceptive cadence: V- ANYTHING BUT I ! !! !
Beethoven cadence: V-I-V-I-V-V-V-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I
-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I! I! I! I I I

Swiper
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

26 Sep 2014, 8:25 pm

Nothing to worry about. That's not abnormal. I usually only get 5 likes on my posts and I have 550+ FB friends. Only a small fraction of your friends will even see your status in their newsfeed because of the way Facebook work. Don't sweat it.

I must, however, admit that it did boost my ego that the last picture I posted of myself got 70+ likes.

Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2014, 5:41 am

It's not fair to judge how much people like or dislike you based off facebook likes, it's not even close.