Page 1 of 3 [ 33 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

beneficii
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2014, 8:48 pm

He gives gender reassignment an image of vanity and of being the province of the rich and famous:

http://beneficii.blogspot.com/2014/09/w ... -news.html

khaoz
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2014, 11:13 pm

Well, I don't know why the hostility for Bruce. He, unlike his wife and offspring, has actually accomplished some degree of fame from a physical accomplishment. The rest of the clan are only famous because of association with him and because they are willing to show their artificially enhanced body parts and have sex on camera. Why anyone would pay a Kardashian $50,000 just to sit in a chair at an event is beyond me. A testament to the superficiality of our culture. I would not waste 7 seconds of my day to peer out my window if one of them were to suddenly appear on the sidewalk in front of my humble abode.I have no idea what you are referring to as far as gender reassignment. Bruce Jenner is only recognizable to be as an Olympic athlete, always male.

LoveNotHate
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2014, 2:01 am

khaoz wrote:
I have no idea what you are referring to as far as gender reassignment.

"The reality star [Bruce Jenner] reportedly wants to change his name to Bridget and he?s in the midst of deciding whether to have a sex change, according to TMZ".
http://hollywoodlife.com/2014/06/12/bru ... wtk-video/

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2014, 1:24 pm

^
This.

Sumpin' about that has come out recently in the tabloids. That he has somekind of gender identity issue.

But yeah- he is the only one in that reality TV clan who is famous for doing something. As opposed to being "famous for being famous".

They are famous for being associated with him, AND for being the spawn of the highpowered lawyer- the late Mr. Kardashian (forget his first name)- who was famous for being on OJ Simpson's defense team. So atleast they all are famous for having TWO associations- for being one step away from Bruce Jenner, and for being two steps away from OJ SImpson!

Is THAT good enough for you?

Lol!

androbot01
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2014, 4:02 pm

Good for him! If he wants to pursue this that's his business.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2014, 5:14 pm

beneficii wrote:
He gives gender reassignment an image of vanity and of being the province of the rich and famous:

Well... for one thing, it IS the province of the rich, because only they can afford it.

Second: you oughta be grateful. Someone like Jenner even considering gender reassignment makes it less unrespectable.

Janissy
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2014, 5:31 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
beneficii wrote:

Well... for one thing, it IS the province of the rich, because only they can afford it.

Second: you oughta be grateful. Someone like Jenner even considering gender reassignment makes it less unrespectable.

^^^^
Well, maybe. But what I think it is actually doing is making it seem like any of the other non-essential plastic surgery that celebrities get. It is being portrayed that way in the fluff media (like supermarket tabloids) and that will affect peoples' opinions. It is being categorized by this media as "look at what those wacky, wealthy celebs spend their money on" when it should be portrayed as more akin to the plastic surgery that burn victims get because that is taken seriously.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2015, 5:50 pm

by and large, I don't really give a damn about the rich and famous. the smart jet set can all go eat worms for all I care. I DO care about few and far-between ones who use their exalted societal position to help their fellow man.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2015, 6:02 pm

I actually remember when Bruce Jenner won the Decathlon during the 1976 Olympics.

I don't really care if he now wants to be Caitlyn--or whatever.

I think it's ridiculous that Bruce/Caitlyn is on page 2-3 of my local paper, modeling lady's underwear.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2015, 6:06 pm

I remember watching that happen on the tube. who back then could have predicted all that would happen since?

AspieUtah
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2015, 6:19 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
...he is the only one in that reality TV clan who is famous for doing something. As opposed to being "famous for being famous"....

Even the famous who are famous for being famous have their do-nothing relatives. Zsa-Zsa and Eva had Magda, the Zeppo Marx of the Gabor family. Then there are the two or three Baldwin brothers nobody can remember. Paul "Pee-Wee Herman" Rubenfeld ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_Reubens ) never did surpass the influence of his lesbian lawyer sister, Abby.

And, so it goes in the fame biz. Bruce (now Caitlyn) can run circles around the fame of his Kardashian connections. :lol:

Diagnosed in 2015 with ASD Level 1 by the University of Utah Health Care Autism Spectrum Disorder Clinic using the ADOS-2 Module 4 assessment instrument [11/30] -- Screened in 2014 with ASD by using the University of Cambridge Autism Research Centre AQ (Adult) [43/50]; EQ-60 for adults [11/80]; FQ [43/135]; SQ (Adult) [130/150] self-reported screening inventories -- Assessed since 1978 with an estimated IQ [≈145] by several clinicians -- Contact on WrongPlanet.net by private message (PM)

Marky9
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2015, 6:26 pm

I figured he would fade into obscurity following that awful movie he made with the Village People. Now he is again getting as much if not more press than ever. How the world does turn. :D

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2015, 6:48 pm

Eventually, Jenner might pave an easier path for others seeking the same.

justanothersara
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

04 Jun 2015, 8:51 pm

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:
Eventually, Jenner might pave an easier path for others seeking the same.

^^^^^this is what I've been saying. I'm all good with the massive amount of media coverage, if it means that it will "normalize" the fact that people can and should be allowed to choose what gender they present as, without being beaten or worse for it.

blauSamstag
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2015, 8:58 pm

I'm too young and too oblivious to the world of sporting to have known who Jenner was before the transgender thing came up.

"reality star" and association with kardashians places jenner squarely and securely in the section of humanity that i don't care to hear anything about, ever.

It's nice for people who think they have the wrong junk to have an example i guess. As someone who is pretty sure he has the right junk, it doesn't have any meaning for me.

I'm waiting for all this to blow over, so i can stop being annoyed by the fuss over it in my news feeds.

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

05 Jun 2015, 10:12 am

There are three things that have annoyed me with the coverage:

1) Although the media have generally (somewhat surprisingly) got her name and gender correct, a lot of people haven't - Drake Bell, Timbaland, most of this thread. This is completely understandable because it can be confusing - you might find this guide helpful.
2) As I said, the media have got her gender right - and then immediately started treating her like they treat other women by comparing her attractiveness to her wife, daughters and step-daughters. Aren't we past this?
3) Much less serious - she had the opportunity to change her name to match Kris, Kanye, Kim, Kourtney, Kendall and the rest, and chose Caitlyn with a C. It would have been so neat if she'd chosen Kaitlyn.