Page 1 of 3 [ 33 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

05 Jun 2015, 10:12 am

There are three things that have annoyed me with the coverage:

1) Although the media have generally (somewhat surprisingly) got her name and gender correct, a lot of people haven't - Drake Bell, Timbaland, most of this thread. This is completely understandable because it can be confusing - you might find this guide helpful.
2) As I said, the media have got her gender right - and then immediately started treating her like they treat other women by comparing her attractiveness to her wife, daughters and step-daughters. Aren't we past this?
3) Much less serious - she had the opportunity to change her name to match Kris, Kanye, Kim, Kourtney, Kendall and the rest, and chose Caitlyn with a C. It would have been so neat if she'd chosen Kaitlyn.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2015, 10:16 am

I know nothing about this Bruce Jenner, nor do I care one jot about him changing gender. I wouldn't care if the president changed gender, although it might be an improvement. :roll:

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2015, 1:20 pm

^^^
yeh, if he did that she'd be the first black female POTUS :lol: then all he'd have to do is convert to Judaism for a perfect trifecta of outré :lmao:

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2015, 2:01 pm

The_Walrus wrote:
There are three things that have annoyed me with the coverage:

1) Although the media have generally (somewhat surprisingly) got her name and gender correct, a lot of people haven't - Drake Bell, Timbaland, most of this thread. This is completely understandable because it can be confusing - you might find this guide helpful.
2) As I said, the media have got her gender right - and then immediately started treating her like they treat other women by comparing her attractiveness to her wife, daughters and step-daughters. Aren't we past this?
3) Much less serious - she had the opportunity to change her name to match Kris, Kanye, Kim, Kourtney, Kendall and the rest, and chose Caitlyn with a C. It would have been so neat if she'd chosen Kaitlyn.

Most of humanity is not past that and there's entire economies with the net worth of a small country built on it.

RoadRatt
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2015, 4:33 pm

My biggest problem with the media coverage so far has been the lack of backlash towards Bruce, which seems to suggest that all transgenders have it easy when they go public. I'm sure this isn't the case in real life.

My other problem is the reality show side of the story which doesn't seem to factor in for many people. These "reality" stars live their lives in controversy for a reason. If they didn't absolutely nobody would watch their show. I find all of this coinciding with Bruce in the works to get his own reality show quite suspicious to say the least. Not that he isn't telling the truth just that I need more convincing to believe that all of this is real.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2015, 4:35 pm

it would be better AFAIC, if instead of watching reality programming, people attended to their own reality programming :idea:

AspieUtah
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2015, 4:39 pm

auntblabby wrote:
it would be better AFAIC, if instead of watching reality programming, people attended to their own reality programming :idea:

Brilliant logic! That should be your signature. I am "into" my reality.

Diagnosed in 2015 with ASD Level 1 by the University of Utah Health Care Autism Spectrum Disorder Clinic using the ADOS-2 Module 4 assessment instrument [11/30] -- Screened in 2014 with ASD by using the University of Cambridge Autism Research Centre AQ (Adult) [43/50]; EQ-60 for adults [11/80]; FQ [43/135]; SQ (Adult) [130/150] self-reported screening inventories -- Assessed since 1978 with an estimated IQ [≈145] by several clinicians -- Contact on WrongPlanet.net by private message (PM)

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2015, 4:44 pm

:mrgreen:

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

06 Jun 2015, 5:01 pm

RoadRatt wrote:
My biggest problem with the media coverage so far has been the lack of backlash towards Bruce, which seems to suggest that all transgenders have it easy when they go public. I'm sure this isn't the case in real life.

My other problem is the reality show side of the story which doesn't seem to factor in for many people. These "reality" stars live their lives in controversy for a reason. If they didn't absolutely nobody would watch their show. I find all of this coinciding with Bruce in the works to get his own reality show quite suspicious to say the least. Not that he isn't telling the truth just that I need more convincing to believe that all of this is real.

So... you'd want more people to be horrible to Caitlyn because other trans people don't have this much support when they come out?

And she isn't faking it. People don't have drastic public surgery and open themselves up for widespread mockery just so people will keep watching their TV show. I believe the show is doing quite well, one of Caitlyn's daughters has a new modelling career, his stepdaughter is married to one of the most talented pop musicians on the planet, and they're publishing best-selling books. They're already extremely wealthy. People who have never seen their show can reel off facts about them. It is utterly ridiculous to suggest that a minor member of the family would humiliate herself just so the others can get a little extra attention.

DentArthurDent
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2015, 5:05 am

Hey you Guys should move to Australia, I had no idea who this was until I read the thread. Apparently she is in the news but only on the commercial channels, and I very rarely watch what they present as news or current affairs.

"Religion is the impotence of the human mind to deal with occurrences it cannot understand" Karl Marx

RoadRatt
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2015, 5:10 pm

The_Walrus wrote:
So... you'd want more people to be horrible to Bruce because other trans people don't have this much support when they come out?

And he isn't faking it. People don't have drastic public surgery and open themselves up for widespread mockery just so people will keep watching their TV show. I believe the show is doing quite well, one of Bruce's daughters has a new modelling career, his stepdaughter is married to one of the most talented pop musicians on the planet, and they're publishing best-selling books. They're already extremely wealthy. People who have never seen their show can reel off facts about them. It is utterly ridiculous to suggest that a minor member of the family would humiliate himself just so the others can get a little extra attention.

No, I didn't mean more people should be horrible to Bruce. I do find it to be odd that he has been so well received, I'd have expected much more backlash than I've seen, which is almost none. In real life people just aren't this accepting.

Minor member of the family?!? If it wasn't for Bruce we wouldn't even know any of the rest of the family at all. (I'm sure you probably just chose the wrong way to put it because in no way shape or form is Bruce a minor family member). :geek:

And yes I believe that they'd do anything to keep people watching their show(s).

Nebogipfel
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2015, 8:02 pm

Castration is always going to be a life choice that's going to make certain libertarian types suspicious of whoever seems to be trying to promote it. Understandably so. Folks used to cut the penises off of their slaves, after all.

Rocket123
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2015, 8:24 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
I actually remember when Bruce Jenner won the Decathlon during the 1976 Olympics.

I remember that as well. It was a huge event.

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

08 Jun 2015, 5:25 am

RoadRatt wrote:
Minor member of the family?!? If it wasn't for Bruce we wouldn't even know any of the rest of the family at all. (I'm sure you probably just chose the wrong way to put it because in no way shape or form is Bruce a minor family member). :geek:

And yes I believe that they'd do anything to keep people watching their show(s).

Caitlyn (her name isn't Bruce any more) is not the reason her stepdaughters are famous. Robert Kardashian Senior gained fame from his association with the OJ Simpson trial, and Kim catapulted her relatives to "fame" (or back to fame, in Caitlyn's case) when a video of her having sex with Snoop Dogg's cousin became public. A year ago, Caitlyn was significantly less famous than even her daughters, let alone Kim, who I repeat is married to Kanye West.

They signed an $80m deal to be recorded for three years. They're now legitimately famous. They don't need to subject their (step-)father to the sort of horrible bullying that would persuade him to go through with this sort of procedure if he didn't have gender dysphoria. They could ride out the proximity to Kanye for the next decade.

Hyperborean
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jun 2015, 5:47 am

While it's a good thing that gender transition is seen in a more positive light, because it might help those who are going through this themselves, there's something self-serving and distasteful about celebrities who fill the media with their personal lives.

Another transgender person who is occasionally in the news is Chelsea (previously PFC Bradley) Manning, who is currently serving a jail sentence in America for treason. Manning tried to use her struggles with her sexual identity to mitigate her sentence, but it doesn't seem to have worked.

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

08 Jun 2015, 10:44 am

This pronoun game is pretty confusing, its hard not to refer the person as who they were when they gained their notoriety whatever that may be with Bruce Jenner and Bradley Manning being two big examples of this. I'll respect their current wishes but in the past tense it's harder. On the two specifically, not that I have any reason to doubt their sincerity but I think there might be this notion of them being mentally tramautized after years psychological torture in military prison/the Kardashian household so I do wonder how good it is to have them out front as far as trans public figures.