Page 4 of 6 [ 94 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Maeko
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2011, 4:00 pm

I'm Having alot of fun with this forum ^_^!

URtheALIEN
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

11 Aug 2011, 7:22 am

Hello all, I am a long time Gamer. I started with D&D, then Star Frontiers, then Gamma World, then AD&D through all the differeent editions (1st, 2nd, the horrid "black edition" 3.0, 3.5 BUT NEVER 4.0) also Paladium, Traveller, Star Wars, Trinity, World of Darkness..... and a few others like GURPS and stufff that never really fit in with my groups. I'd say that RPGs are my "special interest". I have never played these sort of free play RPs that people seem to be talking about, at least not on line, but it sounds cool. Any other dedicated gamers out there? If so what's your favorite system/world?

Rochendil
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

11 Aug 2011, 7:50 am

URtheALIEN wrote:
Hello all, I am a long time Gamer. I started with D&D, then Star Frontiers, then Gamma World, then AD&D through all the differeent editions (1st, 2nd, the horrid "black edition" 3.0, 3.5 BUT NEVER 4.0) also Paladium, Traveller, Star Wars, Trinity, World of Darkness..... and a few others like GURPS and stufff that never really fit in with my groups. I'd say that RPGs are my "special interest". I have never played these sort of free play RPs that people seem to be talking about, at least not on line, but it sounds cool. Any other dedicated gamers out there? If so what's your favorite system/world?

Hey!

I would not say that I am a dedicated gamer (at least not when it comes to RPGs), but I have played my fair share of such games. I would have played more but I always seem to lack people to play with. I've played D&D 3.5 and 4 (though only out of necessity due to both of my groups "upgrading" to 4; I much prefer 3.5), d20 modern (on my own) and forum based roleplays (including NationStates and Aelyria). I would not call myself an expert by any stretch of the imagination, mainly as I have no experience with what seem to be the "classic" RPGs other than D&D (i.e. AD&D and GURPS). Most of my experience comes from the online free play RPs (character and nation based).

If you look further down the page on this forum (or the next page), you'll find the "Wrong Planet - the RP group" which is my first attempt to start an RP on this website. Hopefully, you'll be so kind as to put your seemingly extensive pen and paper experience to good use (where this site is concerned) and deign to join the group.

As for my favorite system, I'd have to say d20 modern (though my knowledge of other systems is patchy at best), especially with the d20 apocalypse add-on.

URtheALIEN
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

11 Aug 2011, 11:09 am

Hey Rochendil, I am getting ready to take my younger boy to his therapy but I'll happily look over the other posts. I am extreamely new to blogging and I am probably abusing the lingo, do I mean "the other thread"?
The D20 system, based on DnD 3.0-3.5 seems to be mechanically the best system around, although I am always happy to try new ones out. Old, 1st edition D&D was great, in fact it's what I play now, but is very-unrealistic, but also very flexible. I enjoyed Dangerous Journeys, but I NEVER convinced anyone else to play it, just making charachters usually exhausted anyone else. I always get into more and more detail and complexity on EVERYTHING so I've a habit of driving nearby NTs crazy. Really though, who doesn't like rolling a d1000 for hit determination?

Rochendil
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

11 Aug 2011, 12:13 pm

Since I posted, I created another thread in response to an idea started on the chat. As of yet, none of the other people who helped develop the idea have joined in. I'd suggest joining the RP group as that'll likely have the highest level of structure and quality (I hope). One book I use for in depth character development and that is quite versatile is "Central Casting: Heroes of Legend". But yeah, few people even what to do even slightly complicated things that are related to character development and the like.

For me, making characters is one of the (if not the) best part of a role play. This obvious when you see how many characters I have created compared to how many roleplays I have completed :P

I've never played any D&D before 3.5, but what makes 1 so unrealistic?

A d1000? seriously? What kind of an impact would that have on your rolls?

(yeah, you mean the other thread, but no matter)

Enkidu
Butterfly
Butterfly

11 Aug 2011, 1:27 pm

haha I would love love love to see a CRIT on a d 1000 roll that would be EPIC! ( D

URtheALIEN
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

11 Aug 2011, 1:43 pm

Yeah a D1000, just roll 3 different d10s, for the 1's, 10's and 100's places. Allows really unlikely crits like "Oh I see you rolled a 999 on your to hit with that huge two handed axe..... yeah you cut the goblin's head off, his and his friend's. That you could have done with anything higher than a 950 though. What the 999 got you was each of those severed heads rolling under the feet of neighboring goblins, who tripped, fell on their swords and slit open their innards. The fluids released from their bowels stink so bad and are so acidic that nearby goblins can't see through the tears leaking from their acid burnt eyes. You gain initiative for the next three rounds. Who's next in the initiative order?"

An example of the lack of realism in AD&D 1st edition was the hit point progression for characters, a decent level fighter had more hit points then a heavy war horse, dozens of humanoids combined or most dragons. This may not be a problem, I have slowly learned over time that more realism isn't always desireable, it IS a GAME after all and maybe a bit of unrealistic heroics is a good thing. When players used to try difficult things I used to get out my college physics books and figure out how many joules of energy would need to be released for them to do some actions, physically or magically. Sometimes the amount of heat or force required to, say, jump a huge gorge or whatever would be enough to kill a human. Hmmmmmm better to just ignore the realism and have fun I guess......

Rochendil
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

12 Aug 2011, 12:44 am

Lol, rolling a d1000 certainly sounds like fun. I'm guessing rolling a natural 1 must be pretty bad... :p What game did you use a d1000? Was that Dangerous Journeys?

Yeah, by definition (nearly) all roleplaying games are unrealistic. Namely because they assume that the PCs are all "heroic" level characters, that they are superhuman in some sense. I suppose it'd be pretty dull if they were normal people in normal/realistic settings: Real Life, the RPG. lol

What's your favorite setting? the traditional goblins, elves and the like (i.e. high fantasy)?

URtheALIEN
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

12 Aug 2011, 7:07 am

Favirite setting has always been a problem for me. I am a Aspie/HFA that's also ADHD and OCD...... maybe others make that combo work but for me it has been an issue. I get extreamely fixed on a world/setting and create amazing detail that will NEVER be of use in a game, things like demographics, 10,000+ years of history, cost to equip each soldier, location of all resources.....then suddenly something doesn't work out like I want/need it to and I abandon the entire thing. I can't walk away from the project for months maybe, then suddenly can't do any more work on it.

I do like unusual twists on the traditional goblin,elves and so on worlds. Example, a world where elves rule everyone (they are the nobles), dwarves are the middle class (skilled craftsmen and military), and the humans are mainly food producers. Goblins are created from other races and can't reproduce in a normal biological way but instead "convert" other races into goblins.

I also enjoy sci-fi and have combined ideas from a number of different worlds into myown system. There are aspects of Traveler that I liked, so I through the Bio-Tech of Trinity, the Techno-Biological interfaceing of Shadowrun and the Driods of Star Wars all into that setting. It required a lot of conversions, but I like to sit in a room all day and make conversion tables, so that isn't an issue.

My biggest issue with gaming has always been when I get bored with a world/game/setting and want to work on my newest idea and the players aren't done yet..... in the past I usually forced the issue by killing everyone off, turns out most people don't like that.

Rochendil
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

13 Aug 2011, 12:50 am

Interesting. :p

Why don't you compile all that information into a book on that universe? Maybe as a companion guide to literature on the subject (self-created, pre-existent or even non-existent)?

That particular twist is quite interesting, though I'm not too sure about the goblin part, that seems rather odd. How would they "convert" other races?

I'm not too fond of sci-fi, except for some settings, but I do like the idea of mixing and matching various ideas from different sources. That's something I do quite often with my fantasy creations (RP and writing).

Maybe you could come up with a system where the world/universe periodically "shifts" causing great changes. Or something like in Mario games (where there's a main lobby or world and from there you go to different ones but you cannot control when you return to the "lobby" and each time you become a different person/character)

URtheALIEN
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

13 Aug 2011, 7:42 am

Goblin's covert people by force..... Say a human female is captured by goblins, which are all male btw. Well the inevitable sexual assault that follows turns her into an incubator for new goblins, effectively this poor woman becomes a living goblin factory. Sometimes the result will be years of giving birth to many small goblins, say Kobolds from D&D. Sometimes a few bigger goblins, like Hobgoblins. Sometimes a one-off and you get something like a full grown Ogre Magi that springs out of the woman, killing her of course. Nasty, but it's supposed to serve as an explanation for why goblins haven't just over run every other race through breeding and why they want to raid other races in the first place. There are other methods, where particular types of goblins can convert people into a goblin by capturing them and biting them or using magic rituals. In rare events people could be converted willingly by seeking power from the goblin's masters, Demons and Devils.

Rochendil
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

13 Aug 2011, 11:58 am

Cool. Looks really interesting when you explain it like that :)

From what you've told me, I assume that that's just a small part of all the things you have developed :p lol

So, want to join one of my RPs? There isn't really anyone else in either at the moment, so it'll most likely just be the two of us RP'ing. You up to forum-based roleplaying? :D

URtheALIEN
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

13 Aug 2011, 12:32 pm

Never did it before, I expect it sort of a free form back and forth/co-written story? I'll check it out in a couple of hours, just give me the name of the threads on here so I can find 'em. My son has wanted on the computer for about 3 hours so I am going to have to "share".....

Rochendil
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

13 Aug 2011, 12:40 pm

yeah, very freeform: no dice rolls (unless you want to lol) or stats (again, unless you want to).

There is "Wrong Planet - The RP Group" and "The Great War of Fanficdom"

The first has more room for expansion and more possibility of various universes and such.

URtheALIEN
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

13 Aug 2011, 3:16 pm

Ok I tried something on the first, is it kind of what you were looking for?

Hope8
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

16 Sep 2011, 8:26 pm

Triniti why are you so cute?

because I like diamonds...

too cool!