Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

Protogenoi
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2014, 9:40 pm

I have sent emails to all the psychologists (and variants) that have publicly listed as willing to do aspergers or ASD evaluations in a hundred mile radius. I have sent multiple emails to the all the ones in a 25 mile radius. I've been at this for three weeks and I haven't gotten a single response. I used their publicly listed email for getting an appointment.
I have gotten one computer message that said the message had been recieved and that I would be responded to within 24 hours, but a week has gone by...
I guess I should pick up my phone and try calling... Or does the lack of responses mean I should broaden my search?

L_Holmes
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2014, 10:38 pm

Definitely call. I did the same thing, one place didn't respond for like a whole month. And they were the only one to respond at all. They actually just called me since I left my number, but it took them so long. That's where I've started my evaluation, my next appointment should be in December. If I'd have just called them I would have gotten in sooner though.

- Sherlock Holmes

StarTrekker
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2014, 11:27 pm

Yeah, you have to be persistent with this sort of thing; I had to keep pushing to get my initial appointment through; I just called once or twice a day until someone finally answered the phone. Did the same thing with my current therapy and the social skills group I'm joining. Just keep at it and eventually one of them will get back to you.

Thanks to Olympiadis for my fantastic avatar!

Protogenoi
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2014, 7:04 pm

I didn't know it wasn't that unusual. It seems I'm going need to work up some courage to make a phone call. I hate phone calls.
I wouldn't think contacting them would be so hard...

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2014, 9:03 pm

Where are you located?

Wreck It Ralph

Protogenoi
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2014, 9:09 pm

skibum wrote:
Where are you located?

I don't really want to blatantly give my location away online, but here is a specific hint.

About 50 miles east of what used to be the northernmost capital of the Southern Confederacy in the USA.

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2014, 9:26 pm

Okay, that's cool. I was mainly wondering if you were in the US or not. Try calling The ARC of _____ (whatever city you are in) and they will help you contact the people you need to contact. If you don't have one in your city get in touch with the closest one. You can also cal the Office of Vocational Rehabilitation in your area and they will help you as well.

Wreck It Ralph

Protogenoi
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2014, 10:46 pm

skibum wrote:
Okay, that's cool. I was mainly wondering if you were in the US or not. Try calling The ARC of _____ (whatever city you are in) and they will help you contact the people you need to contact. If you don't have one in your city get in touch with the closest one. You can also cal the Office of Vocational Rehabilitation in your area and they will help you as well.

I just tried to send a message to ARC. (Thanks for the advice, by the way.) They no longer carry the name ARC and their message system seems to be down.

I'm looking into OVR, but they have a confusing website.

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2014, 11:35 pm

Check my pm. Hopefully it helps. I am glad to help you with this. I know how hard it can be to get help in that area.

Wreck It Ralph

StarTrekker
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2014, 12:21 am

Protogenoi wrote:
I didn't know it wasn't that unusual. It seems I'm going need to work up some courage to make a phone call. I hate phone calls.
I wouldn't think contacting them would be so hard...

I hate them too; they make me horribly anxious. The only reason I called to set up my appointments is that the counseling center at my school where I got diagnosed has no email address, so I didn't have a choice.

Thanks to Olympiadis for my fantastic avatar!