Little Things that Annoy You on the Screen?

Page 7 of 8 [ 127 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

awsamb
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2015, 9:54 am

House MD kind of annoyed me. They didn't really do a great job of connecting everything and the ending to every episode was always the same. House sparks an idea and he's always right. It was good for the first four seasons but it shouldn't have been carried on for eight. So I guess what annoys me are characters who are supposed to be realistic but end up just being too smart.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2015, 5:55 pm

Am pretty easy going about movies compared to you all.

But there have been memorable things that bother me.

When you are at the beach looking out to sea you will notice breakers breaking against the shore. Those are the waves with the linear crests- long pipe shaped waves- that break against the shore (the waves you wade in). But beyond a hundred yards or so those kinda waves stop, and you see regular ocean waves that come to points (like little mountains). Beyond the breakers thats what the ocean looks like for the rest of the 3000 miles until you reach the other continent's breakers. You dont hafta to be an oceanographer to be aware that breakers stop near the shore.

So why is it that in the movie "The Perfect Storm" everyone raves about how 'realistic' the big rogue wave is at the climax of the movie? It maybe realistic in some ways, but...it has a long linear crest like a breaker at the beach (and the story is set hundreds of miles out in the middle of the ocean). The story is not about extreme surfing (near the shore). Its about a mid-ocean disaster. So why is the roque wave linear shaped, and not mountain shaped? It makes no sense.

Also in that movie Marky Mark falls overboard, and is suddenly helpless in the water. So George Clooney jumps in the water, grabs him, and swims back to the boat rescuing him. Now we all know that real fishermen would never jump into the sea to rescue someone (you stay on the boat and throw them a lifeline). But that picayune fact is forgivable to ignore in a movie. But what bothers me is..if Marky Mark is rendered helpless when he hits the water, why isnt George Clooney rendered equally helpless when he hits the same water? They coulda done something to differentiate the two swimmers-like have them tie a rope around clooney's waist, and tie that to the ship, before clooney jumps in to explain his lack of helplessness.

Skilpadde
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2015, 12:31 am

I can't remember if this has been mentioned already, but here goes. I am a big fan of western animated movies. They're highly appealing, cute and funny. But all the singing that always comes with Disney cartoons really get on my nerve.
I just find it embarrassing when characters in a show or movie start singing. Music in the background (score) is fine, but not the characters singing as part of the movie.

love you and miss you, dear boy

Stop the wolf kills! https://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeact ... 3091429765

Nightingale121
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2015, 1:00 pm

Skilpadde wrote:
I can't remember if this has been mentioned already, but here goes. I am a big fan of western animated movies. They're highly appealing, cute and funny. But all the singing that always comes with Disney cartoons really get on my nerve.
I just find it embarrassing when characters in a show or movie start singing. Music in the background (score) is fine, but not the characters singing as part of the movie.

Yes, I totally agree. This is the reason why I avoid musical movies or those Disney cartoons where they sing a lot.

Jory
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2015, 12:25 am

I can tolerate most clichés, but "don't you die on me!" should never be spoken in a film again.

OliveOilMom
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2015, 9:57 am

Terrible fake Southern accents. Most people don't have a real one and wouldn't know a real one if it bit them on the ass. They always do a mixture of Appalachian backwoods and Tidewater upper class. Those two do not mix. I'm from Alabama and I'm always aware of the fake accents and can tell a real one from a fake. It's very rare that you hear a decent fake one. A lot of people don't know this but you can actually tell a lot by a Southern accent. You can tell what state they are from, and even what region or city and in some places like NOLA you can tell where in New Orleans they are from. A Yat accent is very different from a Creole for example. You can also usually tell whether or not someone is educated (just by the accent not by what they say) and what class they are.

So bad Southern accents is my number one issue.

The link to the forum is http://www.rightplanet.proboards.com

Lintar
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2015, 11:40 pm

People who instantly sit up straight when they wake up from a really bad nightmare. Is there anyone who actually does this?

Crime scene investigators who look (and pose) like models.

Those silly characters who think it's a good idea to place a revolver down the back of one's pants.

Ignorance of basic physics, like the fact that if a nuclear reactor has a meltdown it will NOT explode like a thermonuclear bomb (ex. in the film K-19). Nuclear reactors and bombs are not at all alike, they operate on different principles, they have virtually nothing in common apart from atom-splitting.

Lintar
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2015, 11:44 pm

OliveOilMom wrote:
Terrible fake Southern accents.

Terrible fake Australian accents. We do NOT sound like New Zealanders.

Terrible fake accents in general.

Skilpadde
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2015, 8:15 am

Lintar wrote:
People who instantly sit up straight when they wake up from a really bad nightmare. Is there anyone who actually does this?

Yes, that can happen. I have done so at least once.

love you and miss you, dear boy

Stop the wolf kills! https://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeact ... 3091429765

Marky9
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2015, 11:50 am

OliveOilMom wrote:
Terrible fake Southern accents.

Yes! And I must add that to me all fake Southern accents are terrible; I've never heard one that doesn't make me cringe. Way, way back in the day she first started Paula Deen had a very pronounced but still credible Georgia coastal accent; now she is a caricature of herself that is more nauseating than fingernails on a chalkboard. Yuch!

Fake German accents are almost as bad. Documentaries are the worst offenders, like when there is a voice-over of a report or letter written by a German author. What the frick would it take to have the VO read in English by a German actor in his native accent!?

[rant]One might think that whoever loses a war has to endure having their manner of speaking forevermore mocked in the most stereotypically offensive ways possible.[/rant] :roll:

tinyteddy
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

22 Jul 2015, 9:50 am

the adverts at the bottom of the screen that pop up and distract from the tv show!! it's maddening!

Evil_Chuck
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

12 Aug 2015, 6:24 pm

Here's one thing that bugs me.

TURN THE LIGHTS ON!

It seems like every movie and TV show wants to be "dark"--not just thematically, but literally. So they film scene after scene of people who stand around talking in near total darkness, as if this were normal. Or they add those annoying blue/gray filters in post-production. Just stop! It's not interesting anymore. If you want to convey mood, try writing good dialogue and realistic characters, not just blank slates who recite contrived and joyless lines at each other.

FUNNY DEATH METAL LYRICS OF THE WEEK: 'DEMON'S WIND' BY VADER
Clammy frog descends
Demon's wind, the stars answer your desire
Join the undead, that's the place you'll never leave
You wanna die... but death cannot do us apart...

Lintar
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2015, 8:57 pm

tinyteddy wrote:
the adverts at the bottom of the screen that pop up and distract from the tv show!! it's maddening!

That's one of the reasons I no longer watch commercial T.V. The people who run those stations must think we are all idiots for putting up with the s**t they dish out to us.

Lintar
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2015, 8:58 pm

Evil_Chuck wrote:
Here's one thing that bugs me.

TURN THE LIGHTS ON!

It seems like every movie and TV show wants to be "dark"--not just thematically, but literally. So they film scene after scene of people who stand around talking in near total darkness, as if this were normal. Or they add those annoying blue/gray filters in post-production. Just stop! It's not interesting anymore. If you want to convey mood, try writing good dialogue and realistic characters, not just blank slates who recite contrived and joyless lines at each other.

Yes! So true! :lmao:

Campin_Cat
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2015, 7:31 am

tinyteddy wrote:

Hear, hear----I AGREE!!

I hate it when people are holding a "baby", and it's clearly NOT real!!

catherinewalker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

17 Aug 2015, 3:34 am

When girls in movies are fighting other people and wearing high heels or simply running, if you notice the moment the fight starts or when they start running the heels become flat and then switch back like magic to high again.