Teenager obsessed with Dexter kills girlfriend

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

Falloy
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

02 Oct 2014, 3:55 pm

Link to The Guardian story

This is from my hometown. I saw the TV vans outside the flat when I got off the train from work.

My cousin's son goes to the same school as this guy and sat next to him in one class 8O

Both the TV news and this article bring up that the boy had autism.

I wonder if we will see the tabloids will start a new crusade against violence on TV?

Woodpecker
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2014, 4:12 pm

This does not sound like something which was caused by autism, it is something deeply wrong. To my mind this killer is a person who holds the view that he can do what he likes no matter what degree of harm it causes to others.

I think that in the same way that the majority of NTs would regard such a pointless mean spirited act of violence as pure evil the vast majority of autistic people would regard it in an identical way. I think that the offender was lucky not get a whole life sentance, his level of depravity is thankfully rare and I imagine he will have a lot of time to think about it in jail. I suspect that he will be in some form of protective isolation (rule 43) as he killed a innocent young lady so I imagine that plenty of people in jail would want to knock him around.

So he is likely to spend a lot of time either being battered around or being kept locked up with sex offenders, ex-policemen, ex-prison officers and other very unpopular inmates.

Diagnosed under the DSM5 rules with autism spectrum disorder, under DSM4 psychologist said would have been AS (299.80) but I suspect that I am somewhere between 299.80 and 299.00 (Autism) under DSM4.

Sylkat
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2014, 5:02 pm

Personal opinion:

This crime was not in imitation of Dexter, the character or the series.

'Dexter' was about a man, traumatized as a toddler, who was a vigilante.

He used his knowledge of forensics to dispose of those he killed and to eliminate evidence.

As part of the local police force, he knew of guilty persons who had escaped detection and/or punishment.

The details of her murder are not imitations of Dexter's; the kid got some important details wrong.

This tells me that he is/was NOT as obsessed as he says....an obsessed Autistic would be meticulous!

There is no incident in the entire T.V. series wherein Dexter ever murdered a friend, certainly not a harmless teenaged girl.

This whole 'Dexter Obsession' is just an effort to convince the court that he is disturbed/not responsible.

And:

This kid has been analyzed by psychiatrists who state unequivocally that he is NOT schizophrenic.

His imaginary friend 'Ed' is a lie.

He chose to kill her, used an American T.V. show as a cover-up, faked schizoid symptoms, Pre-planned this whole thing.

He may be psychotic, but he is responsible for a girl's premeditated killing , and I rather wish that Britain still had the death penalty.

There is nothing in any Autism Spectrum Disorder to blame for what he did.